Driving Lights Comparison

latinoguy

Adventurer
Jumped into the band wagon

I also recently purchased a set and placed them on the ARB bumper. Not having any previous experience to draw from regarding off road lights, I will say that the combination with HIR high beams, and now these Kragen HIDs is ALL The light I need for night runs. I tested them out this weekend during a local Berdoo Canyon run in JT. I am very pleased with them. Turning on the HIDs gives me more peripheral coverage and a bit longer reach over the high beam Toshiba HIR bulbs. I used a OEM toyota Fog light switch that fits nicely on my center console...

I still want to add side lights on the rack, but that is another story...

HIR high beams and HIDs on:

HIDHighbeams.jpg

low beams Only (Toshiba HIR low beam bulbs)
lowbeanonly.jpg

4x4v8

Observer
latinoguy said:
I also recently purchased a set and placed them on the ARB bumper. Not having any previous experience to draw from regarding off road lights, I will say that the combination with HIR high beams, and now these Kragen HIDs is ALL The light I need for night runs. I tested them out this weekend during a local Berdoo Canyon run in JT. I am very pleased with them. Turning on the HIDs gives me more peripheral coverage and a bit longer reach over the high beam Toshiba HIR bulbs. I used a OEM toyota Fog light switch that fits nicely on my center console...

I still want to add side lights on the rack, but that is another story...

HIR high beams and HIDs on:

HIDHighbeams.jpg

low beams Only (Toshiba HIR low beam bulbs)
lowbeanonly.jpg

That is a HUGE difference! Thanks a lot for the comparison. That really cleared it up... Hopefully they will still sell it around Christmas time when I go down to he states....

rickc

Adventurer
Check EBay! There are a pair of used Lightforce 240XGTs for sale for around $150. Not HIDs but super bright (also super big).

4x4v8

Observer
Beowulf said:
4x4v8,

Will Kragen not ship to Canada?

I have no idea actually. I just assumed that they wouldnt. But even if they did, I would have to pay for shipping and duties and so on, which would make my "budget solution" not to "budget". ;) I should look into it though...

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I went with Hella 4000's, and then converted them to HID myself. The 4000's are about $100 bucks each, and the HID conversions are about $65 for two lights. The difference between HID and Halogen is worlds apart. Anyone that tells you different, has never had the pleasure of using HID in their auxillary lights. I did mine before the kragen lights came out, or else I would have probably gone that route since the ballast's are self contained. Atleast i KNOW the HELLA 400o's are a great quality light (housing, etc.) The bulbs/ballasts have done great so far, and I turn them on and off all the time. I have had mine for about 2 years. Here are a few pics for comparison.

I have 4 of them. The outer two are Euro Driving beams, and the inner two are Pencil beams. If I could do it over again, I would have gotten 4 euro driving beams. The pencils are kind of useless for what I do.

SS100222.jpg

SS100223.jpg

This is with my trucks regular halogen HIGH beams on, taken from inside the cab.

SS100237.jpg

This is with all 4 lights on, same spot, inside the cab.

SS100230.jpg

~James

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Gurkha said:
Pity no PIAA were tested.

They probably would have shown to be of mediocre performance and very high pricing. PIAA make some good lights, they also make a lot of junk. Coloured lenses and bulbs, etc.

Seems the *only* people who can afford to run their good stuff are sponsored guys who get them for free. If somebody is buying lights with their hard earned cash, the usually go Hella. Just my observation from the rally world.

Gurkha

Adventurer
R_Lefebvre said:
They probably would have shown to be of mediocre performance and very high pricing. PIAA make some good lights, they also make a lot of junk. Coloured lenses and bulbs, etc.

Seems the *only* people who can afford to run their good stuff are sponsored guys who get them for free. If somebody is buying lights with their hard earned cash, the usually go Hella. Just my observation from the rally world.

Well having used both Rallye series Hella and PIAA, not only do the later surpass the Hellas but in terms of construction, the PIAA are way better build. In fact the Hellas are humbled by many small time light makers surprisingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan