Drool Worthy

Radio

Observer
I don't know why we can't have them here... I would buy the diesel in a heartbeat!
I think should they offer them in NA, they would have a dedicated following; after a few years, the other auto makers in NA would be scrambling to even sell theirs, when compared to the LandCrusier,
But, I am biased!

targa88

Explorer
I don't know why we can't have them here... I would buy the diesel in a heartbeat!
I think should they offer them in NA, they would have a dedicated following; after a few years, the other auto makers in NA would be scrambling to even sell theirs, when compared to the LandCrusier,
But, I am biased!

+1
Absolutely agree (HZJ78)- unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen. The price of a new one along all fees would make the cost prohibitive.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
That would actually be a truck I would consider having a car payment on...can't think of another I'd be willing to do that for that is available here in the U.S.

-H-

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Why, Why, Why can't we have these here... :drool:

I believe you can Darryl - you just have to sell everything and move to Africa or Australia. :victory:

Did anyone else notice that in the close up of the aux fuel tank, it sure looked like that leaf spring a wee bit too close for comfort? Maybe just a weird camera angle....

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
That would actually be a truck I would consider having a car payment on...can't think of another I'd be willing to do that for that is available here in the U.S.

-H-
Pretty much took the words out of my mouth... I've never bought a new car from the dealership , but if these were available here I would make it my first.

I've driven them, they really are amazing, it's really sad the number of really cool trucks that we can't get...

Cheers

Dave

jingram

Adventurer
I really take issue with the arguement that we can't have them here and that nobody would ever buy them, import costs are too high, etc.

The reality is that GM, Ford, and Dodge offer rather robust and heavy duty diesel truck offerings here in the US for a reasonable price. The HZJ78 is a very very utilitarian vehicle with a heavy duty chassis, solid axles front and rear and a diesel. How is that any different than a Dodge Turbo Cummins Diesel PU? Sure you can argue about the lockers, but even now that is more and more of a moot point and certainly wouldn't warrant a massive cost increase. Don't even begin to tell me how much more reliable the Toyota is. We have a fleet of 18 or so Dodge PUs, all Diesel, and at this point some have 300K miles on the odometer with no more than standard maintenance. Furthermore there are certainly ways to get around import tariff issues, just manufacture the damn thing here.

In my opinion we will never see it here, not because it is cost prohibitive, but rather Toyota has moved the LC marquee so far upmarket that it feels it cannot reverse course. This is no different than what LR did with the damn Defender. Instead of selling the workhorse at workhorse prices, we pay Kentucky Derby winner prices for at best basic albeit it amazingly robust and functional hardware.

Do I still want one... hell yes. I don't buy for one minute though that we can't have them here because nobody would buy them and that the cost would be too high. If Toyota really wanted it in this market at a reasonable price point it could easily be done.

Last edited:
Can't you just import one, or are there restrictions on doing that over there?

If I had the money, I'd like the new 4.5 litre turbo-diesel V8 (1VD-FTD) version of the Troop Carrier (hardtop), the VDJ78...
http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/range

Send me $40,000US + shipping and I'll send one over to you.

Or you could pick one up second hand for less, I was looking at one in at a local car dealer recently, can't remember what the price was.

Also, I think that the lockers are factory options, not standard on all 70 series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears