Drool Worthy

Juntura

Observer
I concur with Hltoppr, this is the one car I would actually consider purchasing at a dealership. I would probably choose the 105 w/diesel in basic trim- perfect wagon for the kiddies.

I know the price would be high stateside, but given the utility and reliability I think I would end up driving the thing for many, many years.

Cheers,

Juntura

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I believe Gilihana had to actually drop the tank to install his lift kit...so no, your eyes were not deceiving you!

-H-

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Because nobody here would buy them new.

For sure the masses wouldn't buy it...

I am not saying that they need to be sold at dealerships, I just want to be able to import one.

I really have problems with NHTSA, DOT, EPA, OSHA, MSHA and other such agencies for the reason of regulating us to death. Yes, they do some good in the long run and they can't make exceptions to the rule over and over.

However, is it really that big of a deal with vehicles??? The new diesels are for sure efficient and cleaner burning than my 2006 Dodge diesel probably is.

Oh well... I'll keep dreaming. :smiley_drive:

I'd like a VZJ78 Troopie too, they could certainly get around the 25% truck tariff by using the rear seat row and maybe even adding a 3rd rear door on the curb side. But they aren't perfect. As Gilghana points out the current series transmission is much weaker than the venerable H55F, the 8" front diff with high pinion has its' failure rate also.
But most important, if I may make an analogy with the Mog enthusiast world: there have been for years and still are people begging to buy a new Mog. So Mercedes imports the U500 for 4 model years, 2003-6. It is 80% as good as a U5000 offroad and 200% onroad, due to 70 mph capability and 19% more hp. What happens? They sell 158! I am a Landcruiser and Mog enthusiast, I stepped up to the plate. But not many else did. And they sold them at cutrate prices compared to Europe in an effort to get market share.

Charlie

soenke

Adventurer
After having proudly owned and build up this HZJ 78 (officially sold by Toyota 2000 to 2001 in Germany, but with almost none of the dealers knowing the car..)

1786948.jpg

.....I would rather go for the real thing! Get an HZJ 75 . Toyota did not do well with their "improvements", the metall is getting thinner and thinner, plasic is been used to often, the front diff is weak and the gear box a shame. The 1HZ doesn´t improve with the exaust modifikation either...

I would buy a HZJ 7 again but preferable the older types

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i just cant put to words how much i want an HZJ75, the 78 is nice but i like the more simple 75.

since i dont ever plan to own one i am slowly turning my 55 into one. i have the chassis and drivetrain done, in the near future i will be stretching the w/b (relocating rear axle and wheel well) and welding in the rear doors.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
.....I would rather go for the real thing! Get an HZJ 75 . Toyota did not do well with their "improvements", the metall is getting thinner and thinner, plasic is been used to often, the front diff is weak and the gear box a shame. The 1HZ doesn´t improve with the exaust modifikation either...

I would buy a HZJ 7 again but preferable the older types

Interesting quote. Sort of sounds like every other comment you hear in the States about the newer Toyota trucks here.

I guess it reinforces the adage that we covet what we cannot have...

smurf

here is a pic of some older brothers taken by me...

story behind the pic?

it rain immensely for a couple of hours and we all got stuck, some of the 4x2 people carriers seen at the back got really really STUCK...

not a cool place to get stuck with the lions and snakes nearby:Wow1:

:victory:

not a cool place to get stuck with the lions and snakes nearby:Wow1:

QUOTE]

Reminds of getting stuck in the Okavango delta in Botswana in a rental FJ60 in 1993. When I walked off a ways to get sticks to put under the tires lions were roaring and baboons came out of the bush to check me out.

Charlie

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I see Toyota Hiace's in the photos. Even the Hiace's are pretty cool. I've driven one in New Zealand with a manual transmission with the stick unusually positioned on the column. Makes sense though, you gain extra space for a passenger next to the driver with bench seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle