Dual Sport Recommendations for Beginners?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
TACODOC said:
My wife is warming up to the idea of a DS... so, I may be getting it this summer after all!

Still leaning towards the new KLR, but I have a copy of the Recycler here and I see lots of good deals on anything you can name so I am still researching.

Stay tuned, I may need some riding buddies! :roost:

That Great News Dave! We usually go riding 2x a month when its not "Africa Hot" :D

Also, i STRONGLY suggest you ride as many bikes as possible, for as long as possible before making a decision!

DO NOT buy a bike based on magazine reviews only, make sure it "Fits" you and that you will be comfortable and happy with it!

I got a lot of friends in the club with lots of different bikes and can probably get ya some "Real World" seat time provided you get your motorcyle endorsement on your license!

Also, you mention wanting to 2up, you are a BIG guy, MOST dual sports are setup for 170lb +/- riders, i am GUESSING you around 220-240+ (no offense meant), but factor that in as well.

My XR650L is in DESPERATE need of suspension work/upgrade just to haul ME around, ME plus a rider would be out of the question!

My .02

Last edited:

big sky trapper

Adventurer
This has been some good reading as also on AD rider as well, i think ive just about read scanned every post over there, and am also very heavily considering a bike as well. My commute to work is almost a 100 miles a day (round trip with close to 30 of that wash board gravel), now and with rising cost of fuel if i can get a little relief at least for the few months of summer we have here would help out a lot.

Ive been looking at several 200-300 size bikes, why so small, heck Im almost 40 and never been on one. so figure If / when I decide Ill start small and work my way up.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I found a 2008 KLR650 in the much sought after Kawasaki Green ... :peepwall:

... and bought it! :roost: :hehe:

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Nice. They are decent bikes as long as you don't try to get crazy off road with them (kinda like all the other heavy dual sports....).

Now, go take the MSF course, and get that sexy "road guard" vest...:bike_rider:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Kermit said:
Have you noticed there has been a lot more of those vest on the road lately? I see a heck of alot of scooters now.

I don't know about the Air Farce, but the Navy used to require that all active duty riders wear the "road kill" vests.

Maybe DM implimented a similar policy.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
goodtimes said:
Now, go take the MSF course, and get that sexy "road guard" vest...:bike_rider:

Yes, the Navy and USMC both require the stylish vest :D

And, if you ride without one on or off base and are injured or worse... you will NOT be covered by SGLI...

So, I will be wearing ALL personal safety gear.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Congratulations Dave! Post up some pics. :jumping:

If all goes well I'll be joining the dual sport bunch very soon :Astrologist:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Mlachica said:
Congratulations Dave! Post up some pics. :jumping:

If all goes well I'll be joining the dual sport bunch very soon :Astrologist:

Thanks Mark! That would rock if you got one too! :rockon: :costumed-smiley-007

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Boston Mangler said:
So...... Whens the first "Expo So Cal Dual Sport Run"?

I would like to do one just as soon as I get my MSC taken care of... they are all booked up until late July though. Heck, I'm still waiting for my XXL riding gear to arrive!

I just want to be licensed and educated before I set off into the hills :roost:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Kids, dont try this at home!
loading_the_bike.gif

Ya think THIS was easily avoidable with proper braking/downshifting?
motorcyclecrash.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan