Dual Sport Recommendations for Beginners?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Boston Mangler said:
My XR650L was getting 45-55mpg when i first got it, now with the pipe, new carb, instake, bla bla bla, i am down to 35-38mpg :(

What kind of range can you get with your size tank?

Just thinking about all the good riding near Vegas and wondering what I could hit in a day...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I did the math on mine :punk03:

There are guys over on ADV Rider that claim 50-55 mpg with the new KLR650.

A conservative estimate is that a 4.7 gallon tank averaging 45 mpg= 211 mile cruising range :victory:

blupaddler

Conspirator
So... Forgive the newbie questions. The only bikes I have owned are BMX and mountain bikes. I have been contemplating entering the dual sport world...

Well, more commuting and the occassional off-highway venture. Probably 80-20 or 70-30.

What is the "MSF"?
What is this "road guard"?

Also, I hear all the great things about BMW's. But I have also heard that ANY basic service is going to set you back some major $$$. Is this true? Or would one be able to service their bike on their own? How are parts to source? Can two people comfortable ride (on road) a 650?

I have been eyeing the Vstrom. This seems like it would be a good commuter and allow the ever so often jaunt off-pavement.

Finally, any other courses/books/materials you recommend? I am presently looking into the CHP approved/sponsored moto class which takes the place of your road test.

Thanks in advance!
:peepwall:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
blupaddler said:
What is the "MSF"?
What is this "road guard"?

Also, I hear all the great things about BMW's. But I have also heard that ANY basic service is going to set you back some major $$$. Is this true? Or would one be able to service their bike on their own? How are parts to source? Can two people comfortable ride (on road) a 650?

I have been eyeing the Vstrom. This seems like it would be a good commuter and allow the ever so often jaunt off-pavement.

Finally, any other courses/books/materials you recommend? I am presently looking into the CHP approved/sponsored moto class which takes the place of your road test.

Thanks in advance!
:peepwall:

MSC is the Motorcycle Safety Course (same as the CHP approved course you referred to)- money well spent IMO.

Road Guard is a reference to the blaze orange vests that you see bikers wearing for hi-viz.

BMW=$$$
KTM=$$$

2 up on a 650? Depends on the bike, and the rider, but I'm a total DS newb so somebody else chime in here!

The Wee Strom is an awesome bike BUT there were none available when I was shopping for my KLR so I didnt get to see one up close for a real comparo...

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation

They offer a variety of courses intended to teach people how to be safer riders. Their BRC (Basic Riders Course - a 2.5 day course) is often considered the industry standard new rider course. They teach you *how* to ride (both on paper and on a bike), as well as a lot of the safety awareness issues that cause riders problems. Many states subsidize these courses (AZ does not). Usually, the last thing you do in this course is take your states licensing exam and rider test...essentially you get your motorcycle endorsement....you just gotta go to the DMV (or MVD for the AZ folks), give them your certificate, and get the new license printed. No riding test at the MVD.

Some insurance companies also offer discounts for people who have taken the BRC (state farm does not :mad:)

"road guard" is a reference to USN boot camp. Every time the company crosses a road (there has GOT to be a joke coming out of that....), the short guys from the back of the line run out in front and stop traffic...and of course they have to wear those flourescent orange vests. They became known as "road guard vests", or, if you didn't like the guy, "road kill vests".

BTW, the BRC is usually taken on a "rental" bike (bike provided by the group giving the class). So it is a great way to see if you will even like riding, without having to go get a bike first. Some places also offer "women only" classes (not for you...for your better half, should she be interested)

2 up on a 650? IMO, they are a bit small for freeway work....but I guess that depends on what you get. The 650GS puts out 52 hp (IIRC). I hear the KLR is closer to 38 (can someone confirm/deny this?). Wee-Strom....not sure.

The 650GS 6000 mile service is pricy if the valves need adjustment (couple hundred bucks). I hear (from the local BMW dealer) that the new 800GS/ST/S 6000 mile service is around $150...plus it is 84hp, and hooked up to a damn nice 6 speed trans.....:roost:

blupaddler

Conspirator
Kermit said:
What I tell people who are just starting out, go buy a beater bike, learn on that (and crash). Then move up when you are comfortable. Don't haul passeggers until you are REALLY comfortable, remember you are responsable for their life. View pavement as a giant cheese grater....your skin is the cheese.

That's a good idea... Thanks!!! Especially since the main purpose would be commuting.

So... squid=stupid new guy all over the place? Just like a "kook" for surfing?

There is a Wee strom down the street from me at House of Motorcycles, which is ironically two doors down from the BMW dealer.
:p

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
blupaddler said:
That's a good idea... Thanks!!! Especially since the main purpose would be commuting.

So... squid=stupid new guy all over the place? Just like a "kook" for surfing?

:p

Something like that.....squid

Maverick1701

Adventurer
very informative thread. I am also looking into getting a motorcycle.

I am on the fence about a dual-sport model or a touring style bike....just can't decide.

ExpoScout

Explorer
I am in the same sort of situation. I have looked at bikes for about two years now and while I've never ridden, it's been something I've wanted to do for a long time. I looked at klr650s, vstroms, klx400s, even a dr200.

I had been checking the classifieds around here since then and never saw anything that really piqued my interest. Until recently. With some advice from some people with experience I started to look for a super sherpa and low and behold found one. Long story short I'm taking delivery this Friday if all goes well. I'm super excited about it and think it will be perfect to learn on and even if I outgrow it at some point, will likely stay in the stable.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
I am in the same sort of situation. I have looked at bikes for about two years now and while I've never ridden, it's been something I've wanted to do for a long time. I looked at klr650s, vstroms, klx400s, even a dr200.

I had been checking the classifieds around here since then and never saw anything that really piqued my interest. Until recently. With some advice from some people with experience I started to look for a super sherpa and low and behold found one. Long story short I'm taking delivery this Friday if all goes well. I'm super excited about it and think it will be perfect to learn on and even if I outgrow it at some point, will likely stay in the stable.

If the deal falls through, there is a super sherpa on the amarillo craigslist for 2K

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Super Sherpas are tha BOMB!! :roost:

I still miss mine, but my wants and needs changed, which was the only reason I let it go. Enjoy!

Maverick1701

Adventurer
Super Sherpas are tha BOMB!! :roost:

I still miss mine, but my wants and needs changed, which was the only reason I let it go. Enjoy!

They are pretty cool bikes from what I have read (and have a pretty hardcore cult following). At this point I am leaning more towards a KLR650 mainly because of all the aftermarket extras vs the sherpa (at least that is what I have been reading...poor aftermarket for the sherpa..correct me if I am mistaken please).

ExpoScout

Explorer
They are pretty cool bikes from what I have read (and have a pretty hardcore cult following). At this point I am leaning more towards a KLR650 mainly because of all the aftermarket extras vs the sherpa (at least that is what I have been reading...poor aftermarket for the sherpa..correct me if I am mistaken please).

Based on what I have seen that seems to be correct, generally speaking. But I think the Sherpas are better off than some bikes that have next to zero aftermarket support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior