Dura Trac vs KM2

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
weight

i know tire weight is a huge factor in mpg and ride quality, thats why im leaning towards the dura tracs, the 33/1250-15 duratrac is lighter than a 33/1050-15 KM2

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
i know tire weight is a huge factor in mpg and ride quality, thats why im leaning towards the dura tracs, the 33/1250-15 duratrac is lighter than a 33/1050-15 KM2

True, but my guess is if you were to do a back-to-back MPG test with these tires that the narrower width of the 33x10.50 would make up for the weight difference, and MPG would be slightly higher with the narrower tire.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
yeah i would like to know how to calculate that, the duratac has a much tighter tread down the center which is going to cut down on rolling and wind resistance, but the narrower profile of the KM2 might offset it, wish i had the money to buy both and try them back to back, then sell whichever one least fit my needs. hmmmm

mizedog

Observer
BFG KM 2's are worthless on snowy roads .
Lowly jeeper here, but have to say, after two Colorado winters on siped KM2s (33x12.50/15s), they are great on snowy roads. 12.50s offer a lot of floatation for the light Cherokee (they are lighter than Wranglers due to unibody design) but I still manage to get great off-the-line traction. The fairly latteral lug positioning doesn't allow for great side-slip traction through. There were many times I was able to pull uphill on ice from a stop light where other vehicles couldn't connect.

Re: siping. I've heard that the Duratrac siping is not full depth and will leave the tire without sipes. Here's a pic of my Discount Tire siped tire:
P1010066-1.jpg

Beautiful Toyotas posted here, by the way.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Neither...

Cooper SST is where it is at, yo...

Extremely happy with these, and I have owned both BFG and Goodyears...

563294_10150736755399630_766319629_9345965_56383338_n.jpg

lowenbrau

Explorer
I'm just getting ready to sell our 315 75 16 Duratracs and buy another set. There is enough demand for used tires on rims to justify selling them used annually and getting the best part of the new tire. I figure the top 20% of the wear is worth 25% of the price. I found a place that will warranty the sidewalls which are a concern as failures are very common and has a fair price so I'll stick with this pattern for the foreseeable future. For the mall Cruiser this seems like the ideal tire. Good on wet or dry pavement, quite good on ice. Excellent on snow. Pretty reasonable in mud. (for an all season).

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Lowly jeeper here, but have to say, after two Colorado winters on siped KM2s (33x12.50/15s), they are great on snowy roads.snip...

I bet they do. A tire with aftermarket sipes, particularly a mud-terrain, can perform very differently than the same tire without any sipes. I've experienced this myself with more than a couple tread designs. I still like the way the KM2s look. Nice that they are working for you :)

soonenough

Explorer
My experience with the Duratracs has been different from others that posted in here with respect to wear. I just had mine rotated last week, and with 58,000 miles, they all checked at 10-11 32nds of tread and wearing evenly. I fully expect to get 70k out of them. They're definitely noisier and less smooth with so many miles on them, but I drive on them daily and they're not that bad.

bullcrew

Observer
Loved the duratracs had them in snow/mud/ice/rocks (Holcomb creek and other areas) and open desert sand/washes.....

There are some concerns for sidewalls I ran the e rated and didnt experience this I did however hammer the wheels really bad and sliders bumpers etc.... my duratracs had a couple of smaller gashes bit lots of rock rash and the tread maintained very well.

I'm running mt/r kevlars now on my 4runner i had grabbed some km2s for it but sold my km2s before mounting them, a bit too tall and skinny puts added exposure to sidewalls and didn't want issues.

Its a disco but the tires are duratracs
Eric leading the inside line (top pic) he has hankooks I have duratracs right behind him behind him. Just to show some of the stuff they have been in....

I cannot say enough good about the duratracs, I am actually thinking about selling the kevlars and going back to duratracs. If i was a solid rock crawler I'd stay kevlars but the variety of stuff we do the duratracs are one of the best tires I've ran to date.....

p4pb8089486.jpg

p4pb8088886.jpg

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
I keep seeing various threads around the Internet about DuraTrac sidewalls being suspect but it's never a thread that actually shows the tire having a problem. The threads seem to say "I heard they are a problem" but no evidence of such.

Why is a DuraTrac 3 ply side wall less good than a BFG or other make? I can say first hand they are a hell off tire but my experience is limited to the DTs, KM2, LTX's and Duellers.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

bullcrew

Observer
I keep seeing various threads around the Internet about DuraTrac sidewalls being suspect but it's never a thread that actually shows the tire having a problem. The threads seem to say "I heard they are a problem" but no evidence of such.

Why is a DuraTrac 3 ply side wall less good than a BFG or other make? I can say first hand they are a hell off tire but my experience is limited to the DTs, KM2, LTX's and Duellers.

First make sjre by looking at the duratracs that it is I fact a 3 ply sidewall my e-rated were only 2. The Goodyear site does nothing for telling whether they are or aren't. Some have said they are but i have yet to see a 3 ply sidewall duratracs. That based on internet issues would make that tire the most desired tire being its the only issue anyone has stated.
A duratracs 3 ply would be no weaker than a bfg sidewall, I have punctured several bfgs over the years from rocks slicing them to sticks through the sidewalls. A tall skinny 33x10.50 sidewall is pretty exposed and thin I'd run a 11.50-12.50 in the km2 to feel safer in the rocks. I have punctured the bfg 33/10.50 mud in the past and my recent km2 set felt thicker than a duratracs 2 ply but not close to my kevlars....

Either way there are alot of great tires out there I personally think a duratracs 3ply sidewall would be the ultimate 90% of the time tire exception would be trailer hau.ed rock buggy or someone strictly nasty huge rocks in which case there are designated tires for that.

Last edited:

bullcrew

Observer
3 ply

View attachment 102782

What size, rating an whered you get em.... very nice and exactly what I'm looking for....... mine i thought were supposed to be 3ply but were only 2.....

Been looking for 3 ply that there is the ultimate tire and I will trade or sell my new kevlars for those right there....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior