dustboy wants to build a camper...

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Go Hard Top

I know I will probably get some push back but here's my 2 cents:
Get a used hard shell camper like a small NorthernLite or Bigfoot. They are well built and you can store things on roof. No set-up needed, just park and you are ready for Bed... have you ever tried to set up a pop-up in a downpour... not fun. Yes hard shells are heavier but the smaller ones will probably work for you. I have a bigfoot camper on a F350 DRW truck. No, I can't go extreme off-roading but I have been on some pretty nasty trails and survived. The other advantage is you can set the truck camper on the ground and drive away in 20 minutes. Again I understand what the advantages for lighter more off road capable vehicles are, but the hard shell offers many advantages too;
-Virtually no set up.
-Great in a monster downpour, canvass sides get wet no matter what with pop-ups.
-Kayaks on top, no problem.
-I have a front hitch capable of holding a dual motorbike up to 450 lbs for exploring where truck camper won't go...
-easy loading and off loading of camper.
-allows you to use truck for other purposes all the time!

Bottomline... after you put lots of money into a trailer and tents etc... you can find a used Truck camper for the same price.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Rear door will be lift-type to allow long material to hang out the back while driving, and provides an instant awning. However it eliminates the possibility of spare tire and jerry can mount.

I have two words for you ALUMINESS PRODUCTS

They make swing out tire racks that you can bolt onto your existing bumper or they can make you one sweet bumper to mount it on

Be careful when you click on that link, you'll want a drool towel handy:drool:

Build is looking sweet and I agree with the curved design, I think it will be more aerodynamic

UHAULER

Explorer
2. The height of the shell is another question, but I think I've settled on 38" interior above the deck. That gives me roughly 8" above the cab height. Functionally, higher is better, but results in rougher aerodynamics and overhead clearance issues.

3. I think I've gotten over the cabover idea. Don't want roofline to be that high, don't need the extra storage.

Please weigh in if you have comments.

I would really think about going higher on the roof. By going flatbed it looks like you have raised the bed floor 8-10" compared to the stock bed. If that is the case then you will have about the same headroom as a stock bed with a cab high shell. I know you don't want to go higher but I think you might regret it later. I wouldn't worry about brush/ tree branch scratches if it is built right.

southpier

Expedition Leader
...maybe if I really need a flatbed, a better solution is to rent a trailer! ...

most places will also deliver. even if there's a 5% fee, it doesn't seem that you'd need it that often. and if you're planning far enough ahead that you can switch the truck around, would 'next day delivery' be all that inconvenient?

i think you're right believing the build would be less complicated and serve your "expo-ness" better as a dedicated vehicle. a Swiss Army Knife (or Leatherman) does a lot of things 'ok', but not any one thing really as good as a tool dedicated for the purpose. but the corkscrew does come in handy!

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I do like what you're building, but would have to agree with Peter, you originally wanted to build a camper, and you're basically building a shell

Maybe keep the shell you've worked this hard on and find a slide-on Camper so you can strap it down and be out the driveway within an hour of getting the itch

dustboy

Explorer
Well, maybe the word "camper" is misleading, what I really want is a shell. The only thing I want to do inside is sleep, change clothes, and ride out some bad weather.

The main reasons I am building this shell are to gain headroom, a few inches of sleeping length, exterior access to storage, and more usable space for my daily work.

Due to your comments I am considering making the roof higher, but I don't want a tall, top-heavy beast that catches large, low hanging branches. Otherwise I'd go for a full cabover. Canvas pop-up is out of the question, and a hard-sided Sonke-style pop-up wouldn't be a good work truck.

Thanks again for your input. southpier, you are right about "do-it-all = do-nothing-well". However, this weekend my wife and I were camping, and found ourselves corkscrewless..lo and behold I discovered I can twist out a cork with a simple pocket knife blade! Amazing what you can figure out when you're desperate!

dustboy

Explorer
I’m guessing an underdeck drawer will fill the space aft of axle. Is that correct?

Yes, it will pull out from the rear. I'm thinking it will contain a pullout washbasin and a slot for my campstove. It could be converted to hand-tool storage on work days.

The spare tire winch may have to go to make more space. I think I may make the lift-up rear door strong enough to support the spare, and use lift-struts to support the weight.

dustboy

Explorer
More progress, it's a sheetmetal day! Boxed in the rear compartment where the drawers will go. All tacked up, lots of stitching to go.

IMG_2802.JPG

The tunnel down the center is for access to the spare tire winch. I like the spare where it is, maybe someday it will get an alternate mount.

IMG_2803.JPG

See, you can see the connection for the spare tire crank waaay at the end:

IMG_2800.JPG

Put the sheetmetal inside the frame to add an inset step, which should be handy.

IMG_2801.JPG

Octamog

Observer
There are enough builders in the Bay Area, I think we've reached a critical mass and need to get together and meet each other and share a beer (or we could each have our own! :sombrero:)

BasinRanger, Dustboy, Marc @ XPCamper, Uhauler (if you can make the trip down to the B.A.), myself, and I might be able to round up one or two more...

Anyone game?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
hijack off -

Getting back on topic.

Is there an update on the flatbed? Have you started the camper yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman