E-350 Cutaway with Total Composites Box

CalgaryMcLean

The SketchUp interior plan with an elevating bed above the sitting area.
1681397094616.png

Looking toward the rear, a quick shot at the start of the interior and the U-shaped sitting/dining area. Wooden bench seats and backs still need to be finished.
Within the rear wall, behind the rails for the elevating bed, are the built-in steel supports that are used for mounting the exterior storage boxes.
The bed rails are glued to the wall and screwed to the interior supports.
20230406_081318.jpg

My cabinet making skills leave a lot to be desired so most of the interior build is 8020 aluminum framing with 6mm Baltic birch plywood inserts, with Formica on the exposed surfaces.
Along the bottom, the 8020 is glued and screwed to the floor.
The vertical 8020 are glued to the walls and sit on a foot that is screwed to the floor.

CalgaryMcLean

Elevating bed in place. Still needs to be leveled, but it is sitting close to where it belongs.

20230413_202622.jpg

The underside of the bed has LED strip lights, with a dimmer, to light up the dining area.

There is also a mesh panel on the underside.
When the bed is in the lower, sleeping and traveling position, the mesh panel flips down and turns the dining area floor space into a kennel.
Keeps the hounds safe and contained while underway and keeps them quiet in the morning, before it it time to get up.

CalgaryMcLean

out of curiosity, if space allowed would the driver and passenger seat backs recline much more ?
Yes, without the cabinetry, the seats can recline further, but this position works for me.

With a shorter cabinet or moving everything back and leaving a space, the seats could recline more.

Some U-Hauls have the box right up against the cab limiting how much the seats recline (very little). Sitting in and assessing one of these was part of my initial planning.
For my camper, I can recline the seats about 2-1/2 to 3" past the edge of the cab.

trackhead

Adventurer
Looking good. Elevated bed is a great design. Are you using electric actuators? I've had great luck with electric actuators lifting my 200lb pop up/hard side now hundreds of times. Seem pretty reliable and fairly consistent.

CalgaryMcLean

Looking good. Elevated bed is a great design. Are you using electric actuators? I've had great luck with electric actuators lifting my 200lb pop up/hard side now hundreds of times. Seem pretty reliable and fairly consistent.
I am using a simplified Lippert bed lift system which uses a single rotary shaft to wrap up four webbing straps (seat belt material) and lift the bed.
This keeps all 4 sides in sync at all times.

I actually sourced it out of the UK as the Project 2000 Smart Bed System.

I considered actuators, but they would have intruded into the floor space (i.e. allow about 4"x4" of space at each corner to fit the actuator) and space is at a premium.
With the belt system, all the moving parts are tucked up under the bed. This affects the headroom under the bed when raised, but overall, less impact on the living space.

So I think either solution is good and it comes down to the individual design and requirements.

Darwin

Explorer
Not sure if you mentioned it, but do you have any idea what the total weight might come out to? I don't know anything about google sketch but is it possible to calculate the weight of each component ?

CalgaryMcLean

Mind giving details on that bed system, drawings or a site? Appreciate it!
Some links to sites with pictures:

CalgaryMcLean

Not sure if you mentioned it, but do you have any idea what the total weight might come out to? I don't know anything about google sketch but is it possible to calculate the weight of each component ?

Should be close to, but below, the 10,050 lb GVWR.

I haven't explored the various features of SketchUp but I expect there are extensions available that would let you complete a Bill of Materials with weights, etc.
I tend to be too lazy with my drafting to fill in all the attributes, etc for the various components to do this though.

Cseverns

I saw this on ProngHorn's Instagram initially. Such a fantastic looking unit, that factory paint is a great color and pairs with the TC box well. Did you opt for the driver assist package that includes automated cruise control? I'm leaning toward the e-series chassis because brand new it provides a lot of value. Albeit it's a basic model it seems like a option worth considering. Being ~2' shorter than a truck equivalent also seems attractive keeping OAL down.

I'm considering this as a chassis for my box build, only thing it's missing would be any color other than white.

CalgaryMcLean

I saw this on ProngHorn's Instagram initially. Such a fantastic looking unit, that factory paint is a great color and pairs with the TC box well. Did you opt for the driver assist package that includes automated cruise control? I'm leaning toward the e-series chassis because brand new it provides a lot of value. Albeit it's a basic model it seems like a option worth considering. Being ~2' shorter than a truck equivalent also seems attractive keeping OAL down.

I'm considering this as a chassis for my box build, only thing it's missing would be any color other than white.

No driver assist package, no electronic dash. Just a very basic build.
Upgraded the seats, power windows and locks, basic cruise control, power mirrors, small factory 120 VAC inverter.

Build Sheet.jpg

CDN $.

CalgaryMcLean

Do you know if the 7.3L Economy tune effected the front GAWR ?

I think the available range is 4,050-4,200Lbs. I know GWVR is fixed.

Will you be re classifying this as an RV for insurance when complete, or a flatbed ?
I don't know if the Economy tune affected the front GAWR.

I expect the Economy tune will be good for my needs and it saved $600.
If I want more power, I will go with a custom tune, so I decided to just skip the Ford Premium tune.

I expect the camper will be insured and registered as a Motorhome.

hoodlum

Great looking build.!!! Love the look of the E series. Composite body.. u the man.!!
We built out this 2017 E450 in 2018. Advance 4x4 in Salt Lake added the 4 wheel drive. With gen, rail gate, shower, diesel heat and custom tank, tank heaters, spray foam insulation, 12v tank heaters for fresh and gray tanks gave us full use of our water system at 0 degrees, 12v fridge, 5 pairs of skis n gear, equalizer levelers, 33gals fresh water, 2 mountain bikes, KTM EX500, etc, and EVERYTHING was inside. She weighed 14K.
OH...had I just added a Diesel.!!!!
Nothing can substitute torque and an engine brake.... nothing.

My Question.... I don't see info on wheels and tires... Please share.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_103234.jpg
    IMG_20191209_103234.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 53

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online