E-350 Cutaway with Total Composites Box

Original estimated weight was 500 kg (1100 lbs).
Measured weight with door, roof fan, windows, little bits and bobs is about 1200 pounds.
Is this for just the Total Composite Box, or including the subframe?
Extend a line from the rear wheels, up past the edge of the fuel tank, and that is the best departure angle this vehicle can have.
Did you consider/do you know if there is room for the fuel tank where the tank usually goes in the passenger vans (further up on drivers side)? It's hard to tell from photos but seems the tank hangs pretty low. I also see you got the standard size tank, I assume the larger one hangs even lower?
pivots at the rear.
And finally, why did you go for a rear pivot vs the typical spring mounts in the rear most expedition campers seem to have? Sorry for all the questions, love the build!

CalgaryMcLean

Is this for just the Total Composite Box, or including the subframe?
1200 pounds is the camper box with door, fan, and windows.

I didn't weigh the base truck, but based on the generic curb weight, the 4wd conversion (transfer case, front axle), bigger wheels/tires, front winch and bumper adds about 1000 lbs.

The subframe and all the storage boxes, including those mounted on the rear wall, was 750 lbs.
Did you consider/do you know if there is room for the fuel tank where the tank usually goes in the passenger vans (further up on drivers side)? It's hard to tell from photos but seems the tank hangs pretty low. I also see you got the standard size tank, I assume the larger one hangs even lower?
There is some emission control stuff that could likely be relocated plus I think the passenger van fuel tank usually needs to be shortened so that it doesn't interfere with the transfer case. For me, minimal gains for a fair bit of work.

The stock tank does hang down, but as far as departure angle, the overall length of the camper has more effect than the fuel tank.
On the approach to a VERY steep climb, the rear bumper would start to drag before the fuel tank would.
If crawling down a tall, steep rock step the fuel tank might drag but I think that the custom skid plate would protect things as long I was cautious.

The larger fuel tank is longer, but not any lower, and not available on the shorter (138") wheelbase.
1688567725130.png1688567761288.png

And finally, why did you go for a rear pivot vs the typical spring mounts in the rear most expedition campers seem to have? Sorry for all the questions, love the build!
With slightly heavier trucks, the frame is often nice and flat and smooth behind the cab, allowing subframe rails to lay right on top of the frame.

The frame of the E-350 is not flat behind the cab; the frame kicks up 3" over the rear axle plus there are a few rivets, etc along the top surface.
Allowing for this would have likely have raised the camper 3 or 4 inched over the subframe that I used.

1688567970602.png

Also, I think that with the pivoting rear mount less torque will be transferred to the camper-cab interface.

Thank you for all of the detail, clearly a well thought out build.

On a side note, where are you getting all of these illustrations from? I would love a link.

iggi

Ian
I'd missed that you're local to me. Would be fun to do a comparison between my ambulance conversion and your custom rig once I've got the 4x4 conversion done.

Have you gotten an empty weight on it?

I'm partway through redoing my build and got on a scale after removing most of the interior again. Came in at 4200KG.

Since there's been a lot of discussion regarding flex, here's a pic of me flexing shortly after I got it back in 2019.

IMG_2990.jpg

CalgaryMcLean

Got out for around 30 nights. Pretty good since it was mid to late summer by the time the camper was ready to go.
Very happy with everything.
Very happy that we went with lots of windows. I see some units that only have a couple small windows: not for me!
20230916_070850.jpg
20230812_172559~2.jpg
Sunset.jpg
.20231106_074954~2.jpg20230913_170111~2.jpg

Over winter I will pull out the drawers, cabinet doors and table and finish the fronts on all of them.
Initially left unfinished just so we could get out camping instead of building.
The layout works perfectly for us.
The picture below is misleading. There is actually a good amount of head room at the table, under the bed.
20230909_193544.jpgIMG_20230909_220221_864.jpg

Originally, my thought was to use a combination sink and 2-burner stove hob, but my wife wanted an oven.
I didn't really think we would use it much, but it is actually quite nice to be able to have some baked meals once an a while when out for a week or more at a time.
All the silicone bakeware is stored in the oven while travelling and there is no rattling from the unit.
20230921_181727~3.jpg

We travel with the bed in the lower position and a mesh door drops down to keep the dogs safely in their spot.
Way better than having them loose, especially when off road.
The Espar heater has a fan-only mode so it can draw cooler air from the front of the camper and recirculate it back to the kennel area.
Cage.jpg

Home Sweet Home!
IMG_20230909_220221_936.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior