E.J.'s Dirty Nismo 2005 Frontier CC Build Thread/Journal

emohn

Observer
Hey EJ,

I also have a 2005 CrewCab LE and have been thinking about celebrating it's 200k mile birthday by treating it to a suspension refresh all around. I used to do quite a bit of towing with the truck and the rear leaf packs are nearly completely flat as a result, in addition to the shocks being toast. I *loved* the OME setup I had on a Cherokee I once owned and it was my first choice when looking at the options for the Frontier. Are you still quite happy with yours, now that it's been on for many months? Is Nisstec pretty much the best option of sourcing an OME setup?

Any complaints about going with the 255/85? I like the idea of a skinnier, taller tire (vs. the potential 285/75 option or the 265/75 I'm on now), but don't see a lot of folks running that size.

I managed to dodge the SMOD issue (bypassed now) and have generally had nothing but good reliability out of the truck, but I'm tackling brakes, tires, suspension, and U-joints over the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance!
-Erik M

E.J.

Explorer
Good to here your second gen is passing the 200k milestone :beer:

I'd buy the OME stuff again, no complaints other than the leafs occasionally get squeaky if they get really dirty. Blasting them out at the car wash quiets them down easy enough. I got mine through Nisstech, they sent the front coils fully assembled and I was able to slap them on the truck in a few hours at home.

No complaints on the 255's. I've only got 5k on them but so far so good. No issues with rubbing or anything though my mudflaps are long gone. I was really torn between these and Cooper ST Maxx, the ******** Cepeks are a little lighter and less expensive than the Maxx.

emohn

Observer
Good to hear on all accounts. How's the noise level on the DC's? The ST Maxx was the direction I was initially heading with tire choice - I knew the DCs were less expensive, but lighter is intriguing as well. I don't mind a bit of noise around town, but my truck is the vehicle that we take on family vacations to FL and such, so running on the highway for 10+ hrs isn't out of the question, so I've been a bit leery about moving from an AT (Destination ATs on today, which are about as non-aggressive as can be) to an MT.

E.J.

Explorer
They are not objectionable to my family on the long highway stretches. Though to be fair this truck had MT's on it when I bought it so a little noise is "normal" for us.

E.J.

Explorer
Y3_M-B_mln-VAVgkzYLhgR8q0kd2DjZ-QniRpVnR7jAjWkkggNH-Rlru1vzczGIXwKB_XuqXmlA=w922-h974-no

Decorated the truck for halloween while simultaneously augmenting the trucks security system...

E.J.

Explorer
I think I'm going to finally bite the bullet and order some aftermarket UCA's so I can add a little more height to the front end. Right now I'm running HD OME's + a 1/2" spacer and get just a hint of coil bucket contact on big bumps. I was thinking I could get away with UCA's and a 1.5" spacer to push the lift right to 3" but I probably need y'all to convince me a 1" spacer (and the PIA of installing longer studs) is better in the long run.

In the rear I plan on adding the OME leaf to upgrade the MD pack to HD in anticipation of getting a rear bumper built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears