E350 Gray Vhale Build Thread

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Adam, you need to talk to MG about the roof rack and poptop. Just sayin'.......... :chef:

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Adam, you need to talk to MG about the roof rack and poptop. Just sayin'.......... :chef:
:) :coffeedrink: :drool:

I've got to make some space for myself inside while I wait for this possibility so I'm dreaming up how to use the top of the van!!!

Gotta come up with a plan to get an awning, Maxx Fan, Yakima Box (stinky, cold, wet things), and a minimum of 100W of solar up top until that time comes.

Realized though that if I get any gutter mounted awning of 8+ feet in length while stowed, it has to clear both a current roof rack and a future pop-top...the BunduAwn weighs 55lbs, so I need a stout gutter mount for this thing...I'm thinking 4 attachment points would be ideal. The aluminum frame is 10" in height by 119" long. Don't you think I'd need some extra support running a few inches down the side of the van especially in off-road conditions?

To clear the awning, I think I'll get some fixed point mount Yakima towers that I can mount further inboard where they'll clear the awning and also go through the metal roof in place that will be cut out in the future for a pop-top install. To have enough space for an 80" long Yakima box and a 100W solar panel, I think I'll need to mount a second pair of bars fairly far forward...

Need to find out dimensions of a cutout on the roof of an RB van for a future pop-top.

Hey FF,

It looks great.
Im fixing up an old dodge right now cuz full size is the right size for me.

Disclaimer: I certainly dont want to offer unsolicated mods (hijack) but im new and trying to increase my post score so here it goes.
lol

Back Story: My GF and I wanted a sleeping platform for her Tacoma so i designed one that used a universal bed frame we found at Goodwill for about $15 bucks.

The universal (adjustable) bed frame accomodates mattress widths from twin to Cal king, if im not mistaken, is extremely HD, stowable and stackable (3 high) using some all thread, washers and nuts.
Best part is once stacked you can raise or lower each "shelf" to accomodate different hight containers/bins.

This pic illustrates a "single story" installation in a rather confined space but you get the idea.
Another ExPo member suggested rubber tips from a walking cane to protect the bed and another suggested 2x4 instead of plywood.
I think its still posted under Easy Sleeping Platform but im not sure.

Thanks for posting an inspiring build thread.
Good luck with your projects and keep up the excellent work.

Sincerely,
Robert

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Couple more pics

image.jpgimage.jpg

Used a bent walmart hot dog cooking stick to retrieve the back boxes
Ikea futon was the best part. So comfy you dont want to get out of bed.

350outrage

Adventurer
One more thing, I found brand new gutter mount lumber racks/crossbars for $75 at a local close out warehouse (again, Craigslist) that would work. They're stronger than Yakima/Thule as well. Plus the white color matches my van, and helps it look more stealthy when I boondock.
That awning looks cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use these all the time when hauling ladders or my Tipi poles. Kind of a pain to mount, but real handy once theyre up there! And Cheap; think I paid $245 for a new set, came in white powdercoat. Once mounted, they are super stable and will take a lot of weight. Your 55# awning would not even be noticed. Sorry, don't have a pic of them on the van, as I always take them off after applicable project is done.

Last edited:

350outrage

Adventurer
Hey Farmer, I may have seen your van in the lot when we were skiing Eldora over Spring Break. Were you there a couple or 3 weeks ago? We are Okies, but my son now lives in Broomfield, so we usually combine Skiing with fam visit and go to Eldora. Snow pic is from last year, by the Magic Carpet at Eldora, before Vanzilla got Cool new Duratracs (2d Pic)

snowy van .jpgDSCF0850.jpg

350outrage

Adventurer
These 4WD monsters are popping up everywhere! Btw, on some of your earlier comments: gas mileage-- yep the ol' v-10 isn't going to do much better than abt 10mpg on that long haul on I-70 into Denver. Its uphill and usually against the wind. 12 mpg normal flat Hwy. Varies a lot in the mountains, depending how steep. I got 15 on mine once, following a BoyScout caravan @ 50 Mph for 200 miles into KS; miserable! The V-10 will save you more than enough on maintenance to pay for the gas.

Really Like your build, and how you've managed to keep a lot of flexibility while still Camperizing. If I see you around, I'll say Hi!

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Thanks for the input - and update!

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for the input on the build...I'm making some progress!

Showing up at the door today and tomorrow is a 63qrt ARB fridge, and MaxxFan Deluxe. In the next day or two will be some Proline tracks. The Proline tracks go on the roof for the cargo box and the solar panel, were half the price of the Yakima tracks, and should work the same way.

Solar: I've made some progress and decisions on my solar set up. I drank the Handy Bob solar koolaid and will likely go with the Bogart Engineering controller and battery meter unless someone can talk me out of it. Probably going to do a Renogy 150W panel up top and eventually a 100W suitcase so I can take advantage of parking in the shade. The 150W panel fits on the roof better and will be the easiest to tilt if I end up seeing some shading issues with the cargo box. My biggest issue is with the house batteries. Group 65 battery boxes on the frame rail only hold 65amp hour batteries and I need about 300amp hours and would like to put that together with just two batteries. I want the batteries to be outside under the van - preferably on the frame rail under the side barn doors to shorten the run between batteries and controller. Getting batteries up and down from there isn't the easiest exercise so I'll probably go with AGM to make maintenance chores minimal. Anyone have a quality ~150amp hour deep cycle AGM battery recommendation for that location? I still can't decide what to integrate or stay away from with the factory auxiliary battery and it's wiring. My preference is to replace those batteries (auxiliary is dead) and ignore it for the most part - put in new wiring and isolator.

Here is progress on my interior version 2.0...it will allow for a queen size sleeping area - my kitchen box action packer and the ARB fridge are part of the sleeping platform - they sit up near the Sienna seats. The benches have a lid that flips up and a separate board sits between the two of them. The kitchen box also fits between the benches. 10 gallons of water in two 5 gallon Sceptor cans sit directly behind the Sienna seats.

Piano hinge holds on to folding lid:

XbaPt9zvK6XSOQPi2l5TZclfoKHmI-Nlkf0G8QDcveLc711UMhIJSmmal6NW9EjW7oH82KsHU9Boy0i--sECvOK7XfjPjpV3CUPGNpAGsw-NZq3TSVm5UVFmH6VNf41RFNzplSsaHmLjmThCtRrBI6aOS8iCLSn8OsFXLCLUPFPcUxOxRq9_U-jKCER9u1x7DzoVsB0560sP0IjoAV9XTTuLL4gKUsO8JWM64RaXsXIn-cgj4nXPXz9Tj_rSV5PsjqTrCx3jjLH-ai4ZpJbtDhMGfAEsRb1JU0eAKpc4kVLcWM3RqoQqSSWZl1vbkcm0kysFcc8QkSMPGL8qmNvSKs1I89c3qM7sT3cXINn7UVrGf-ABupgomCpIg3SXFYJSSMJFCrqqQi9X7JCisabEblaUhhOfroWXNYgAzDDvwAUiMQjLLcBdu3SE_62MxNaHQlzznbyV-ZvAFsSpCo-Yho560tCVqM1CdNWzBTH5_keqW_c4T_WHOz9c3eNpmrsXbnikvM3xDhnFh2etsdzUd-gLw_EnvfFNxPbovoaiKVe9j-nP8mTGAHG9FnUKIA1TC9q8=w1900-h1424-no

I left the ends of the boxes open on both ends so that I can slide things in and out or pull out from above as easily as possible.

kCqS_F9fdB4Fq8O9laWtTrIpo5MclXcKlJ5i7Ij36UuLBKHbx38PuDHkjc2GCb3XZo8L6u7RzXbkjkik1-xink-jMyzWxm0ayvEkbsUd8Wpb2hFOLw5jdy8PNNVx1bHOLULBYXxYVdcsoQOKhDu6o9GzCwYn5GTav0o2WTVZ5c0M_3699nDEDLfz5FvqR5HV0yy440s9-HPZ9Z6eRqHvdHAvdevdDIuwSLoHm8vOpdw34evYYQGuhUURpQqscuH7MBKmU2a7YN-2vCLRJpGABb1drouLQJufOQ8GY5da0ZVfn-ZiQK4TNiGR5B9YfZXm6xcxOrLrQMFqmf_Gvk4oFS29YgeBBtg7amlcZVLJ7MwnRtI_L7JPfKEYcKwisP97m5ElHhsrZXdkdDx0J9RsDJJ3dyQxJpLzbG4gKEGeaZZYNl60x8Zjj64B0TKpCPP6JQFsGk9YxBrBBWL5MQGMzIeUWK1WOw-4XWLUMhV9jSKNV0CSWEHr_fTJJb2Hlz-xfFr-hkqGng9APXFdekRASvX1qEP9RxqYoOhoF44Wo72LuYUwN5AVbi31AuPh7h9-d74A=w1900-h1424-no

Gotta get the some foam mattress cushions built for it - probably 5 pieces in total. Not sure if I'll work in a table to go between the benches or not. Wife and I are both 6'1" so we would have to sit hunched over at a table, but can comfortably recline against the walls.

Plan is to roll with that until a pop-top can happen, then make a final layout while reflecting on our patterns of use. Then I'll try to put together something more permanent and professional using extruded aluminum.

That's where I'm at now!

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
What spare tire carrier are you running? It is strong enough to stand on when closed/latched?

F

It's the Aluminess spare tire carrier...a spacer had to be put together to get the back spacing on this rim to play well with the carrier. It rattles a little bit but I think I've silenced it now using some rubber O-rings that go on the supplied bolt that attaches it to the door hinge. The rubber compresses and provides some friction that eliminates the millimeter of play between the carrier and the door hinge bolt.

Mmmm, beer. :)

I'm such an OB fanboy. Available in all 50 states now!

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Yes, I can stand on the tire when it is swung closed for sure - it basically sits on a hard plastic disk at the latch point. It experiences much greater loads just bouncing down roads than me standing on top of it. Eventually I want a custom bumper with 3 swing outs - tire, bicycle hitch rack, and an aluminum storage box.

I wouldn't want to put any more weight on it though when swung out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears