Eagle FWC on a Tundra

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Could this work...my understanding from the FWC website is that the Eagle is a narrow body Hawk...anyone running this combo...
I like the idea of less overhang on the sides of the truck and any space between the bed sides and camper could be used for storage?

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
An Eagle on a 2000 - 2006 Toyota Tundra could work well.

But, an Eagle on the 2004 - 2006 Double cab or the 2007 - 2011 Tundra, won't work so well.

The Eagle is really sized for the smaller trucks like the Tacoma.

If you put an Eagle Model on the newer Tundras you would need approx. 5" platform under the camper because the newer Tundra truck beds are so much deeper.

You would also need some jack extension plates to make the camper jacks wider.

If you have a 2004 - 2006 Double Cab Tundra or the 2007 - 2011 Tundra, you would probably best off to stick with the Hawk Model and just travel with the camper jacks off.

The Hawk fits pretty well on the newer Tundras and doesn't overhang the sides much.

:)

Hope this helps.

stclair

Adventurer
Looking like we'll be adding an '08 Eagle to our '02 Tundra Access Cab. What say you FWC folks?

Oh yeah, old thread brought back from the dead!

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Should be good.

You will probably need some front Jack extension plates to be able to load it on your truck easier.

You might want to call Terry in our service department to get a little more details.

Example, on where to put the eye bolts in the truck bed, and wiring.

FWC SERVICE. 800-242-1442

Thanks! : )

stclair

Adventurer
Thanks, will do. I actually prefer the Eagle over the Fleet or Hawk, because it doesn't hang over the side of the truck. Less chance I'll rip it off on a tree, or a sign.

subterran

Adventurer
I'll make some suggestions:

bring some 4x4 posts with you, in case it won't clear the cab, and you can strap it down with some big ratchet straps temporarily to get it home. Good luck, and congratulations.

stclair

Adventurer
Should be good.

You will probably need some front Jack extension plates to be able to load it on your truck easier.

You might want to call Terry in our service department to get a little more details.

Example, on where to put the eye bolts in the truck bed, and wiring.

FWC SERVICE. 800-242-1442

Thanks! : )

Thanks Stan! Very helpful. Still not sure if I'll install the eyebolts myself or not. I am sure that I'll leave any wiring to the Pros. Now to get springs.

Kya

Adventurer
We have an Eagle in our 06' double cab. Had to put a 4 1/2" platform underneath the camper with bolts that go through the camper, through 4x4s, through the bed, had some extension plates made locally for the front jacks for loading and unloading. The fit is $$. We love it. I have a thread titled The Ghost Truck with some info in the Toyota section.

stclair

Adventurer
Just read through it, great looking set up! So, did you change out the rear leaf springs, or use air bags? I'm planning to level/slightly lift our Tundra, and thinking of adding Deaver rear leafs to handle the camper, and maybe a rear swingaway. Still torn between ICON, or Bilstein/OME 886 set up. Need to make a decision soon so I can start using the camper. Also, is there much overhang at the tailgate/rear? Or is it fairly flush with the rear of the truck? Thanks!

Kya

Adventurer
I went with airbags. The adjustability is pretty sweet: stiff on pavement, medium on washboard, whatever you want on rough jeep trails. The Deaver + airbags would be the ultimate I think. I have Icons with Camburg UCA up front and they are awesome.

There is some overhang on the rear, but it doesn't stick out past the bumper. It worked out well because there was room to bolt a Hi Lift on top of the bumper and below the camper. I had a swingout on our Dodge and sometimes it was a pain to get into the camper. Doable on the Tundra, but the tire/gas cans might be out pretty far. I posted a few trip reports in the Completed Adventures section. There might be some helpful pics of the back.

You will love the setup!

S12

Thanks. That looks good, I'm pretty sure that is the wide body at 75 inches wide. The standard eagle is 69. I was measuring my bed width earlier at the rear and was getting 69 inches. I just checked towards the middle and I'm guessing its a little over 70. I have a shell on now so it's kind of hard to get a good measurement. I found many pics of them on older tundras and they are pretty flush with the sides of the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior