EarthRoamer: Jeep Based Expedition Vehicle XV-JP

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
My soft top has just shy of 70K on it. Noisy? Not really. The absense of doors does a good job of masking any wind noise from the soft top. If that gets to noisy....break out the ear plugs. Seriously....no doors or windows from Los Angeles to the Rubicon and back, ear plugs and lovin' every minute of it! (except for the hail on the way back...that kind of sucked).

blupaddler

Conspirator
I think it will be quite a nice addition to a market that is currently non-existant or still in it's infancy. I applaud Scott and ER for taking a step out and trying to fill this void. Like we all constantly say how we wish we could own some foreign job camper model or such. The US market is behind. However, as we can see with the popularity of this forum, there is a resurgance happening. Adventure trailers are selling like hot-cakes. Kimberly Kampers, now King in the US are being brought in.

With ER entering this market. We can hope for competition, and possibly more products from talented designers and fabricators out there. (Common Jack, Overland needs a rebirth).

Would I buy one...I don't know. Personally I believe the price point should be less than a Sportsmobile. Especially since they come with Dana 60's, Atlas t/c, diesel, and a host of other goodies. And a Sportsmobile is only 3.3" WIDER than my 80 series. Although I would have to admit the ER has a better materials and finishing than the Sportsmobile.

My only suggestions...
*I think a rack could be just like any regular shell. Vince has a rack on his Flip-pac. Yakima rail system.
*Diesel. Gas is too expensive. Veggie oil capable. Responsible expeditioning.
*Hopefully pricing isn't like the housing market...You see the sign "from the mid 300's (for you AZ folk ;)). But once you get the house and any decent upgrades, the price is over 400k.
*Price less than a Sportsmobile $90K

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
articulate said:
You know what the problem is with the AEV Brute? Damn thing ain't got no back seat. The designer of that unit obviously doesn't have more than one friend....

I imagine this is only a 2-seater as well.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
From the attached press release -

3. Living Space Requirements
A. Two People
1. Seating and sleeping for 2 people
2. Sleeping for two when roof deployed
3. Sleeping for one when roof NOT deployed
B. Refrigeration to cover typical use
C. Heated
D. Fan Ventilation
E. Cooking Facilities
F. Toilet
G. Shower with hot water
H. Fresh Water
1. Enough for typical use (estimated at 20-25 gallons)
2. Filling ability from fresh water source
3. Onboard water purification​

OK, I'm not knocking price or concept or the base vehicle because I like it all. But I'm trying to get my mind around how they are going to jam all this stuff into it. Shower, toilet, cooking facilities, 20 gallons of water?​

And sleeping for one with the tent not deployed? Where, if it has all this other stuff? Upright In the drivers seat? The Unlimited is what, 11 inches longer than a TJ? I mean we're not talking about a ton more room despite what Jeep marketing wants us to believe.​

Guess I'll just have to wait for more developments from R&D. :lurk:​

Wanderlusty

Explorer
The JK unlimited is about 2 feet longer than the SWB TJ, I believe, but still, that is not THAT much more room, and that is a lot of stuff. I am sure they have something figured out, but it still has to be pretty packed in.

SeaRubi

Explorer
ever seen the galley and layout on a 25ft boat? it's not that much of a stretch, IMO. it's going to be kind of cramped but it can be done.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Who says all that has to be used inside?

The toilet and shower may consist of the portolet of some type and a tent stall hanging from the open top. Kitchen may slide out the back as well.
With no rear seat you can build a platform that is load deck height up to the back of the front seats. Plenty of room down there now for a water tank where the foot well would normaly be.

I think its realistic concept if it is planned correctly.

Look forwad to seeing more about this truck.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Well nobody said it Grim, I'm just wondering out loud.

Considering their history of builds and target group, usually, they are all inclusive within the vehicle. Their concept has always been about getting out but having all of the comforts of home within the rig.

They also build their stoves, etc. to run on diesel. Will that be the case for this model's kitchen...? If so, where will the diesel fuel go? And a 20-25 gallon tank for water is pretty big within Jeep size specs. Even a JK.

If you're standing in the back of a Jeep and the deck comes up to the heighth of the top of the seats, that means the deck would hit you mid-thigh. A shower could simply be an outside thing, you're right.

I'm very anxious to see more and just speculating. Kind of like when you're a kid and trying to figure out how Santa got that bike down the chimney. :D

durango_60

Explorer
kcowyo said:
Considering their history of builds and target group, usually, they are all inclusive within the vehicle. Their concept has always been about getting out but having all of the comforts of home within the rig.

I'd say this rig is a radical departure from their prior work, so I'd be willing to bet we will see some things outside. I sure hope the toilet hangs outside somehow, can you imagine being in a JK with some guy who only eats corndogs using the can!!!

kcowyo said:
They also build their stoves, etc. to run on diesel. Will that be the case for this model's kitchen...? If so, where will the diesel fuel go? And a 20-25 gallon tank for water is pretty big within Jeep size specs. Even a JK.

My conspiracy theory is that they have a line on the not yet released diesel JK so there will be plenty of oil to go around...

kcowyo said:
Kind of like when you're a kid and trying to figure out how Santa got that bike down the chimney. :D

That's a simple one, he took it apart, that's why I always saw my Dad putting it together...

Scott Brady

Founder
Details will be coming soon everyone and all of the voiced concerns have been addresed in the design. This thing is trick beyond imagination... :pROFSheriffHL: The concept drawings do not show any of the details or options.

There will be racks, bike mounts, toilets (inside), hot water shower, great little kitchen and loads of other goodies. This is a fully integrated technical expedition solution.

At this point we should just be happy that a US manufacturer is building such a cool concept. We have blabbed for years about "wishing" something like this was available to us. It is a healthy thing for all involved.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
WOW....awesome design and concept coming to life....can't wait to see final details and a mock-up with them. I've tossed a similar idea around with my KJ and possibly doing something similar to expanding outside the rear quarter windows like the M-classes had done in Jurassic Park 2....but we'll see...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
expeditionswest said:
Details will be coming soon everyone and all of the voiced concerns have been addresed in the design. This thing is trick beyond imagination... :pROFSheriffHL: The concept drawings do not show any of the details or options.

There will be racks, bike mounts, toilets (inside), hot water shower, great little kitchen and loads of other goodies. This is a fully integrated technical expedition solution.

At this point we should just be happy that a US manufacturer is building such a cool concept. We have blabbed for years about "wishing" something like this was available to us. It is a healthy thing for all involved.

Sounds like I better start saving up for a down payment... :punk03:

The more I think about this, the cooler it seems, and the more reasonable the price gets.

As far as price, consider this...you probably could do it yourself for half the price, but would it be equal to the quality? In an 80K$ truck, I would guess at 20-30K in material, and easily 50K in labor...including the base vehicle and all the labor to lay out and fabricate all the pieces. I had someone else install my steering rack bushings (I didn't have time and it needed done, badly), and the labor was about 7x the cost of the parts.

I would guess, for all the goodies in this tiny rig, that it'll land pretty close to, if not slightly above, 80K$ and it'll be a good deal as well.

I think it's really cool. Sure, I wouldn't go forth expecting to run Amasa Back, but I would certainly head out anywhere that sounded good! Like my comments about Pinzgauers recently in another thread, sure it isn't a technical 4wheeler, however it looks excellent for its intended purpose, which is overland in comfort! You could still do some pretty rough trails with this rig, but if I were buying, I'd be headed to the San Juans for a week...or the deserts of the southwest for a month...I wouldn't expect to run Holy Cross, but I would expect to relax in a Baja sunset with a cold drink, a warm shower, a comfy bed, and a hot girl :D.

I see Jeeps all the time with "stuff" hanging off the back. Certainly a longboard would fit back there...and I wonder if that's not where the toilet attaches...maybe it's a hitch-a-pooper :p. (probably not)

Looks like a tidy little package, I expect they will sell very well as it's a fully functional long range camper that's smaller than the living room of some people's RV, and a great deal more capable on the back roads. I can see plenty of people who are considering an RV thinking about one of these instead. It's also much easier than the DIY approach a lot of us go for :p...if I spent the time I'm learning to build my own stuff making money instead, I could probably afford one of these ;).

It's like those little diesel Yotas with the camper hut on the back, but available in America :p.

-Sean

*edit* "Toilet Inside", while at first sounding like a funny Intel takeoff, eventually makes me think that a toilet in such a small space might well test even the stoutest of relationships if MREs (or corndogs) were on the menu!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan