EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

SRUPike

Observer
Just when you think it can't get better... Then Paul comes with another post... That rising sun on the headliner is going to be epic...

Well done Paul...

So with the paddle, are you hinting at a custom hollow paddle board is also in the works for the Earthroamer XVJP by Paul Jensen?

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Just when you think it can't get better... Then Paul comes with another post... That rising sun on the headliner is going to be epic...

Well done Paul...

So with the paddle, are you hinting at a custom hollow paddle board is also in the works for the Earthroamer XVJP by Paul Jensen?

12.0SUPSpecSheet_000.jpg

You mean something like this...???...

clip_image004_000.jpg

It could be commissioned, I guess...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Jeep 49...

Forty-Nine...

P1120263.JPG

(above) As I mentioned in the previous post, the new work and the plastic tray got fiberglassed to make the whole unit solid...

P1120264.JPG

(above) The driver side tray did too...By glassing that bottom edge, it locked the tray to the bar and removed the flex that is common to molded plastic...These two glassed units got sanded smooth and were painted black...

P1120265.JPG

(above) Another test fit...The tablet computer is set just low/high enough to not obscure any of the view...

P1120266.JPG

(above) I removed the mirror with the intent of installing the ham radio to it...I found a better place instead...

P1120268.JPG

(above) On the bar between the driver side tray and the center console...

P1120273.JPG

(above) The ceiling in the rear cabin was covered with some vertical grain douglas fir veneer...Pressure sensitive, peel and stick adhesive was used between the existing plywood and the veneer...

P1120272.JPG

(above) Thin copper roof flashing was PSA'd and cut to tapered wedges and a disc...

P1120277.JPG

(above) Then with the help of Mike Cummins installed over the fir veneer...Tomorrow the area below the sun will get a rolling hills pattern made of zebrawood veneer...

P1120278.JPG

(above) The sketch we worked off of...

P1120279.JPG

(above) I did some mixing of parts to make a flexible neck reading light...The head is an LED light I found at Lowes as a clip on lamp...it was wired for 120VAC, but the plug in convert changed the voltage to 12VDC...So I cut the adapter off and wired it to the base/dimmer of another flex light that was in the pile of stuff...It will be installed up near the pull-out bed and can be moved to be used as a reading light there, and also for when you are reading on the bench seat...It's extremely bright, so the dimmer will be useful to control the intensity...

P1120281.JPG

(above) Rear view cameras and a ScanGuage...

P1120282.JPG

(above) The seat backs need a strap to join them solidly to each other...There is a lot of design and refine...

P1120283.JPG

(above) The floor got another coat of tung oil...

P1120284.JPG

(above) The retrieval gear needs to find a home...Probably on the roof rack...

P1120285.JPG

(above) Fittings for ceiling tie downs...

P1120286.JPG

(above) And there is more leather left for use up front...

More later...

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
An enigma, wrapped in a mystery...
I believe it was Sir Winston S. Churchill,
"A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery Inside an Enigma"

but close enough . . . ;)

Of course that quote can formulate the answer to many of the questions that arise from this build and its corresponding thread.

Last edited:

r3run33

Adventurer
wow hey Paul if you are doing any work for a lx470 please keep some templates!!!!!! If you build something which can possibly be sectioned out for shipping I would really be interested. I don't think I can send you my daily driver for a special project like the earth roamer but would love to have something.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
wow hey Paul if you are doing any work for a lx470 please keep some templates!!!!!! If you build something which can possibly be sectioned out for shipping I would really be interested. I don't think I can send you my daily driver for a special project like the earth roamer but would love to have something.

Jensen Overland is growing! Way to go Paul!

If I had a LX470 I would x2 that, but I don't. :(

DKB2GO

Observer
The entire reinterpretation of this vehicle has been an exercise in creativity. The ceiling is beyond words.

Travel Channel could do a special on this. :smiley_drive:

kjp1969

Explorer
I would be really interested in a materials list- like the peel and stick and other adhesives that you're using, sources and uses.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Jeep 50

Jeep 50

P1120289.JPG

(above) I posted this before but without an explanation...The zebrawood at the bottom was cut with a knife, by hand...two pieces of veneer were overlaid, then the pattern was drawn lightly with pencil, then cut...Next, half the pieces were set aside and the remaining ones were patterned as you see...The margins between the pieces were slight and non-descript...i wanted them enhanced so i put some 1/8" wide strips of ZW that was cut, short grain...

It was all installed with pressure sensitive adhesive...The copper sun rays near the center started to peel off overnight...The problem is the copper has a PSA paper backing and that PSA was less than stong enough...i could have supplemented adhesives, but saw the rabbit hole that would become, so the stategy was to move to mechanical attachment...thus the truss head screws at the ends...On the outer ends of the rays are copper pipe straps, screwed into the veneer covered 1/8" plywood and the underlying 1/2" structural plywood...The loops can be used as attachment points if you want to tie something up there...

The veneers got a thin coat of tung oil...One coat should be fine...It sealed the wood and richened up the color...The fir veneers should mellow and darken over time...

P1120290.JPG

(above) The ham radio has a GPS component, so I ran the sensor to somewhere where it could best receive signals...PSA attachment...

P1120291.JPG

(above) Mike brought by some vehicle recovery gear...

P1120293.JPG

(above) ...and I found a home for it all...

P1120294.JPG

(above) Easy access for when it counts...

P1120295.JPG

(above) The emergency water and gas cans were mounted up here, behind the tire for better aerodynamics...The mounting hardware is bolted to the rack and released easily...

P1120295b.JPG

(above) The black metal tie-down tracks were bolted through the rack and have solid and easy to move tie-down rings...Great stuff...That metal step scaffolding on top of the water/fuel is something I'll probably include in the project...It serves as a low step/ seat or high step/ladder...With the teak floor pulled out and set on top, it is a perfect outdoor table, high or low, and with the bench back-rest cushions on top make a great place to lay out and soak in the sun, up off the ground...I'll get pictures of that set-up later...

P1120296.JPG

(above) When I mounted the tie-down tracks to the curb side of the rack, I took off the shovel/ax mount, and you can see that one of the welded on bolts came un-welded...To me the design was funky...First off, to access it you need to get to the roof, twist two firmly tightened wing nuts and eventually you need to reverse the process to store them again...Way too complicated...Especially when you need them quickly...

P1120298.JPG

(above) So my solution turned out something like this...

P1120303.JPG

(above) The case handle was useless, so I put a couple of big tee-nuts on the underside, drilled a couple of holes and spun a pair of eyeybolts into the tee nuts...The HD zip-ties do a couple of things...first they really hold the ax and shovel tight to each other and they deter thieves...If you want to 100% lock them, a piece of pipe can be fit through the eye-bolts and locked...

P1120304.JPG

(above) The placement of the shovel was precise so that when the door is opened there is no contact between the shovel tip and the cabin...

P1120304a.JPG

(above) Up front things are getting finished...from left to right: Scanguage, camera tray, ham radio, tablet computer...Above: mirror and rear view cam monitor...

P1120304b.JPG

(above) Passenger trays, and below a 12 volt DC and a 120 volt AC outlets...The basics...Carpet fits the trays...

P1120305.JPG

(above) In the back I messed around with the lights...

P1120305a.JPG

(above) The raw LED lights cast this, on the ceiling...

P1120306.JPG

(above) If you put the red plastic dinner plate on top of it...

P1120309.JPG

(above) ...it looks like this...Put on the Barry White and whisper "Come a little bit closer, Sugar and let's share some champagne"...

P1120313.JPG

(above) Back to reality...Driver view in the dark...

More later...

RobRed

Explorer
A couple of things on that ham radio (Yaesu ftm350)... first based on the placement of the head you dont need to run that external GPS puck. Yaesu has a tiny, low profile unit (FGPS1) that screws to the back of the head and works great.

second you can use a 6P6C data cable and female-to-female coupler from the brain to your choice of mic location so you dont have to have the mic dangle from the head. I routed mine to the floor by the shifter.

Great rebuild so far.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
A couple of things on that ham radio (Yaesu ftm350)... first based on the placement of the head you dont need to run that external GPS puck. Yaesu has a tiny, low profile unit (FGPS1) that screws to the back of the head and works great.

Second you can use a 6P6C data cable and female-to-female coupler from the brain to your choice of mic location so you dont have to have the mic dangle from the head. I routed mine to the floor by the shifter.
Thanks for the help with the radio. I'll get the parts ordered up for Paul, and then we can test the roof puck against the FGPS1 and see how we do. Even though fiberglass should be largely signal transparent, the Jeep's GPS performance off the antenna in the top center of the dash is pretty sketchy, and I'm worried that the three layers of thick fiberglass over the roof may be degrading the signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998