EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Moving on to Plan B

Many have posted and sent me private messages expressing their hope that I’ll be able to put the events of the past two months behind me and that the XV-JP Northwest Edition can be fixed up to again serve as expedition truck. And we’ve even had the recent burst of volunteers to help put the Jeep back in service. I’m touched by both the support and the sentiment.

I have to admit, though, that there’s a good chance I couldn’t do that. After my losses, I can’t see putting in more money just to get the vehicle back to where it was before it left Oregon last June. And while the “barn raising rebuild” proposed above is very cool, I’m worried that every time I went to use the rebuilt camper, it’d just remind me of Dion and my abortive effort to help Red Cannon.

My local friends and I have gone through a lot of different plans about how to make use of just the chassis. The Wrangler only has about 26K miles on it, and was fixed up with some very nice equipment, especially the aux fuel tank James Lombardo put in, the engine-driven air system, and a very well-tuned nth Degree (AEV) suspension. The truck also has lots and lots of good farkles that make it special—big brakes, heavy-duty tailgate hinges, nice in-cab-controlled winch, and about forty other things. So we were thinking about making it into a pickup or flatbed, or something like a troop carrier, or maybe a motorcycle hauler.

But I am, and always have been, a advocate of highest and best use. Making yet another Jeep pickup wouldn’t be much of an accomplishment given that we’d started with something unique that was one of the country’s best-equipped off-road campers. It’d also waste of a whole lot of high-grade systems and components. There is no question that making the remains of the XV-JP back into something really special would make me, and everyone else who cares, less gloomy about what happened in Iowa.

SO (drumroll, please) . . . I’ve arranged with Paul Jensen to take the whole thing away and rebuild it however he wants. When he wrote “I see potential” as his initial reaction to this mess, I inquired, and it seems Paul is the person most likely to exploit the well-hidden silver lining. He’s enthusiastic about this “blank slate,” is pleased the roof is toast so he can make a new one, and sees how it could be a good thing that the entire interior got torn out. And my two e-mails pointing out to him how bad things really were got totally upbeat, “no worries” replies. You can readily see his positive approach in the post he made this morning.

It seems to me that involving Paul is the best way to keep the spirit of the XV-JP Northwest Edition Jeep alive, especially since Paul has previously entertained, and frequently informed, readers with his build thread photos and descriptions. He’ll design and build it however he wants, and we’ll get to follow along. While Paul would, by far, be the best person to make the Jeep just like it was, I’ve got the idea that he’s not going to just reassemble the camper given there’s a chance to do something new. In any case, though, it’ll be up to him. And while I’ll certainly help if there’s ever a request, Paul’s going to be responsible for everything, including all of the costs involved. He could keep the finished product himself, but if he builds it out on spec or for a client and makes money through a sale, something will likely come my way on the back end.

Most everyone knows the care Paul put into his work on the Jeep, but I’ll bet a lot of you don’t know/remember that Paul made a pretty sweet loop around the west side of Washington as a shakedown cruise after he finished his work, and he bonded nicely with the truck and left us some very nice photography of the trip. He knows how well the setup used to work.

Paul Jeep 1.JPG Paul Jeep 2.JPG

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/7601

In summary, I think he’s the optimum answer for where to go from here, and I hope most of you agree.

familyvan

Adventurer
That is awesome! I can not wait to see how this turns out. Mike thanks so much for sharing your builds so openly as I know I am not the only one who has "borrowed" ideas from your builds. Paul, as usual your stuff turns out awesome can't wait to see version 2!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
:lurk:

Wow. I can't wait. Can I make one small suggestion? New thread. Lets leave all the silliness from Dion, etc. behind and let Paul and Mike (and us in the peanut gallery) start afresh.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I agree.

A new lease on life for that rig needs a new thread.

Free of all the negative vibes that this thread has provided.

As mentioned, this should be epic :friday:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I can't wait. Can I make one small suggestion? New thread. Lets leave all the silliness from Dion, etc. behind and let Paul and Mike (and us in the peanut gallery) start afresh.
I respectfully need to offer an alternative perspective, the one that adds Paul's second round build to the end of this very long, and very popular, thread. I'd hate to have us start over, and I feel like it would be a victory for Dion if what he did gets us to abandon this build thread.

Dion has taken down most of his posts, so most of the worst invective is gone. More important, though, is that the time from Dion's Tesla post to now is only one month out of seventy-six. Long before Dion, a sizable number of talented people, including Paul, posted valuable information that remains important, and one of the big reasons I chose the option of getting Paul re-involved instead of building something different myself was so this historic build thread would continue to be relevant.

I don't think it would be good to give away the head start of nearly one-half million views just to eliminate the short episode involving Dion. A lot of new people decide to get acquainted with the thread only because it has the giant number of views. A fresh thread on Paul's new build would indeed get the Fans of Paul, but someone coming from the outside who doesn't know Paul would have no reason to take a look at what will seem to be just another Jeep build. And since Paul always works to provide a strong instructional component in the build information he posts, it's useful to keep his audience as large as possible, and none of the other builds he's done for me attracted more than a fraction of the attention of this one.

If the negativity about Dion is a decisive factor, I can go back and delete all of my Red Cannon-related posts as well. I've been complimented by many for telling the story, but I'd much rather delete the story than give up on the thread.

This thread has been one of ExPo's most active for over eight years, and will continue to be so if Paul's new build goes here. I really, really hope that he'll decide to continue his build in this thread. Doing otherwise just to get rid of a month of already-painful Mike vs. Dion conflict would be a big disappointment for me.

haven

Expedition Leader
Closing this thread won't delete it, and Internet search engines will continue to see it. As the final post we can include a link to the continuing saga, which we might call "Return of the Jedi"

This is your call, Mike.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Closing this thread won't delete it, and Internet search engines will continue to see it. As the final post we can include a link to the continuing saga, which we might call "Return of the Jedi." This is your call, Mike.
Yeah, I know it will hang around and may well continue to be a good resource. But I do expect that the number of people who interact with it will be very much smaller, as the inactivity will cause it to slip farther down the lists and it will never appear in anyone's set of new posts. I also think Paul might occasionally want to reference some of the previous work, and it'd be marginally easier just to give the post number than send them to a post in a linked thread.

Regardless, it'll actually be Paul's decision. He's the one who'll be keeping the build, and the vehicle, relevant. I hold my preference to keep going here for what I think are good reasons, but don't presume to say that Paul will look at it the same way.

(And, BTW, Chip--Thanks.)

thethePete

Explorer
This makes me so happy to hear. Paul, Mike, I think this is the best outcome for this Jeep and I can't wait to see what happens next. Paul, when you do your road test this time, make sure you head up into Canada. I'll buy the beer.

762X39

Explorer
Let us keep this thread going. The evolution of Mike's Jeep has had a few stumbles (I am trying to be kind) and it is a source of guidance, inspiration and warning to us...:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998

Members online