eatSleepWoof gets a Winnie

Kingsize24

It's worth noting that lake/river water may contain bad bacteria (such as giardia) which will not be filtered out by a typical RV water filter (like my Camco), so anyone pulling non-treated water into their trailers should keep that in mind.

Wondering if you could add a 12v uv light filter in your pump box. Between that, the Camco filter, and some water pills, I'd definitely feel safe with whatever water you may run into.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Wondering if you could add a 12v uv light filter in your pump box. Between that, the Camco filter, and some water pills, I'd definitely feel safe with whatever water you may run into.
There are certainly ways to filter/sanitize water on the go, yeah. One could install a reverse osmosis, or other water filtration system in the trailer, under the kitchen sink. Or use sanitization tablets, UV filters, etc. Plus you can also boil the water and get rid of anything dangerous that way.

I looked closer at my Camco filter and it appears that this is a new & improved model which meets not only NSF 42 certification, but also (the much more important) NSF 53. The 20-micron size is quite high, though. For proper filtration that should be 1 micron or even lower. In any case, this is enough of a filtration for me to not worry about lake/river water in our use case: showering and washing dishes. We typically drink bottled water, and use that for cooking, so there's very, very little risk in using non-city water in the trailer.

Since we have an infant and I'm not willing to take any risk with the kid at this age, I also ordered a Gravity Water Filter, which filters down to 0.1 microns. Should we ever run out of bottled water on a trip and need very clean water for baby food/drink, this will give us water that'll be about as safe as it gets.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Drawing stream water or whatever into your trailer seems bananas to me. Even city water in your trailer for a few weeks will get skunky and gross.

mekcanix

Camper
I am with Budda, it seems much better assembled than my Nobo, which developed a delam in the nose last year. Which I will be tackling this summer,(groan):mad::sick:(n)

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
That Winnie looks like a good unit really, much better than the Forest River crap I deal with every day. Make sure to check the roof for cracks in the sealant a couple times a year.
One of my plans for this summer is to apply eternabond tape to every seal on the roof. Hopefully the last time I have to get up there and deal with sealing anything.

The issues the Winnie came with have all been quite minor; lots of sloppiness, but easy and cheap to fix. All in all, so far it's proving to be a good unit.

Drawing stream water or whatever into your trailer seems bananas to me. Even city water in your trailer for a few weeks will get skunky and gross.

Heh :). The one (might be the only) upside of living in British Columbia is easy access to good, clean water. City water is typically great all around, and streams/rivers often have crystal-clear, glacier-fed water that is borderline ready to be bottled and sold in Aspen, CO gas stations for $7/pop. From my many, many times camping, backpacking, and road tripping, I've never had issues with river water. Lake water is typically not as good, but also not horrible and can be dealt with.

Is there something specific about trailers that would cause issues with water sitting in them?

This year we'll spend a lot of time camping in remote places that simply don't have water infrastructure, so we have to be self sufficient and able to use water from natural sources.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/eatsleepwoofs-rockwood-1640esp.1210948/I am with Budda, it seems much better assembled than my Nobo, which developed a delam in the nose last year. Which I will be tackling this summer,(groan):mad::sick:(n)

Damn. Hope that works out for you with minimal pain and expense. Delamination seems to be one of the bigger/harder problems to deal with.

I did have a Forest River pop-up a few years ago; owned it for a few months and sold it. I'll never buy anything from Forest River again.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
One of my plans for this summer is to apply eternabond tape to every seal on the roof. Hopefully the last time I have to get up there and deal with sealing anything.

The issues the Winnie came with have all been quite minor; lots of sloppiness, but easy and cheap to fix. All in all, so far it's proving to be a good unit.

Heh :). The one (might be the only) upside of living in British Columbia is easy access to good, clean water. City water is typically great all around, and streams/rivers often have crystal-clear, glacier-fed water that is borderline ready to be bottled and sold in Aspen, CO gas stations for $7/pop. From my many, many times camping, backpacking, and road tripping, I've never had issues with river water. Lake water is typically not as good, but also not horrible and can be dealt with.

Is there something specific about trailers that would cause issues with water sitting in them?

This year we'll spend a lot of time camping in remote places that simply don't have water infrastructure, so we have to be self sufficient and able to use water from natural sources.
Yep, city water is fine here as well. We typically fill up at home before we leave. At most it would last us a week. We use it for dishes, showers, being able to flush the toilet and brushing teeth. Don't really use it for consumption. We usually bring a flat of bottled water.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Added a storage platform on the tongue. 1.5" of plywood (2x 3/4"), covered in Herculiner, bolted into the tongue frame. Four jerry can holders (for water or gas) bolted to the platform. Worked great.

Wp8Sfnd.jpeg

HKZ9rAB.jpeg

boQiRx9.jpeg

J2pZfyH.jpeg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Added a storage platform on the tongue. 1.5" of plywood (2x 3/4"), covered in Herculiner, bolted into the tongue frame. Four jerry can holders (for water or gas) bolted to the platform. Worked great.

Wp8Sfnd.jpeg

HKZ9rAB.jpeg

boQiRx9.jpeg

J2pZfyH.jpeg
Right. You swapped out the lead battery for lithium. I forgot about that.
So what made you mount the lithium units inside the trailer under the bed instead of on the tongue like the factory units?

Side note, not sure if you already have one but, if you're parking the trailer in the driveway, you may want to put a hitch lock on it.

Might not work 100% of the time but it may prevent a theft of opportunity. This is the one we use:

Argh! I don't know why I can't seem to post amazon links.... Anyway, this is the one we got:

Screenshot 2024-04-22 115623.png

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
So what made you mount the lithium units inside the trailer under the bed instead of on the tongue like the factory units?

Side note, not sure if you already have one but, if you're parking the trailer in the driveway, you may want to put a hitch lock on it.

Might not work 100% of the time but it may prevent a theft of opportunity. This is the one we use:

Argh! I don't know why I can't seem to post amazon links.... Anyway, this is the one we got:

View attachment 831193

Lithium went inside for a few reasons:
- Easier temperature control, as lithium doesn't like cold weather charging
- Much more theft proof
- Easier to mount/attach
- Opens up storage for larger/dirtier items on the tongue

Thanks for the link on the tongue lock - will have to pick one up! My current lock is meant for a 2" coupler and doesn't fit all that great on the 2 5/16th one.

Last edited:

ITTOG

View attachment 831193
I have a couple of those for my trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior