eatSleepWoof gets a Winnie

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I've been adding little usability improvements here and there...

Child-safety guards on the stove knobs.

WFy5js7.jpeg

Broom mounted on two attachments points so that it doesn't bounce in transit.

bSnIiqp.jpeg

Installed a new shower head, and also replaced all original plastic rivets that hold the shower stall in place. Several of the original ones were destroyed straight from the factory and none of them were sealed at all, so the first time water hits them, it would get behind the shower stall and start rotting away everything in there. Ridiculous.

I removed all the original rivets, slightly expanded the holes to accommodate the new rivets, added waterproof caulking into each hole and also on the back side of each rivet, and re-assembled it all.

fURTBZN.jpeg

Added these stainless thingamajigs to hold shampoo containers in place.

wv4h0IH.jpeg

As is tradition, new trailer gets a new Trasharoo (everyone must know how #overlandAF we are).

Bb5nxFb.jpeg

Mounted a paper towel holder.

QBlMKAL.jpeg

Mounted a "weather station." This device is battery powered, but can also be plugged into USB. Found a good spot for it with nearby USB, and set it up. It shows temperatures from three remote sensors (came with the unit) and also temperature at the unit itself. I mounted sensor #1 ("outdoor") inside the propane tank cover, put sensor #2 inside the fridge, and sensor #3 inside the freezer. The very bottom temperature is the interior of the trailer. Bet this will come in handy!

gTtkTdJ.jpeg

jgaz

Adventurer
Are the plastic rivets you used the same as the automotive pieces that are common on wheel well liners and splash shields.

The OEM installation that you found in your shower is disturbing and disgusting.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Are the plastic rivets you used the same as the automotive pieces that are common on wheel well liners and splash shields.

The OEM installation that you found in your shower is disturbing and disgusting.

These are the ones I used: Universal 9mm Push Bumper Fastener.

And yup, that's one of the reasons I would never pay even close to retail price for any mass-produced, Indiana trailer. The sloppiness is beyond comprehension.

Here are a few photos of how it came from the dealer/factory:

dWnmnTE.jpeg

3J6DS1B.jpeg

Can you imagine looking at that and thinking "yup, that's ready for delivery to the customer"?!

I'm thankful I have the eye to spot these problems, and time, tools & skills to fix them, but can't help thinking about the average Joe & Jane that listen to their dealer's "quality" sales pitch, fork out the equivalent of a pre-tax annual salary for one of these, use the trailers as-is, and have their "investment" rotting away in the next 5-10 years...

Last edited:

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
First trip out with the Winnie this weekend. Been camping all my life, but have never had such comforts before. Hot, daily showers in camp are definitely a new (and much enjoyed) luxury.
We had freezing temperatures at night (from -1C to 0C both nights) - ran the interior propane heater, but did not even turn on the water tank heater; zero issues.

Fridge ran the entire trip. Used all interior appliances, heater, water, lights, etc.

Went through 73ah (of my 200ah lithium total) in the first 24hrs. More than I anticipated. Thankfully I installed a 40a DC/DC charger, and was back up to 100% battery in just over two hours of idling the car. Will very likely add two more 100ah batteries to bring the total up to 400ah.

The 31 gallon water tank showed "empty" right at about hour 26, despite very conservative water use. The water pump still pumped water without an issue, so perhaps the water level sensor wasn't super accurate. I brought a spare 20 gallons of water in cans, poured those into the trailer, and that was more than enough to last the rest of the trip (2.5 days, 2 nights). Will absolutely have to sort out additional water storage and re-fill options ASAP. We cook a proper meal 3x a day, clean the pots/pans/dishes, don't use anything disposable. That seems to be at least 95% of our water usage, and it's not something we can minimize much more than we already do.

All in all, a great shakedown trip. Identified lots of little things that need usability improvements (storage, storage, and more storage).

6qfHsFt.jpeg

wt4htbf.jpeg

RlbHBD8.jpeg

jC2bNEH.jpeg

jgaz

Adventurer
finicky and weak - can't recommend it, but if you're handy enough, it'll do the job.
Nice idea.
If you need to replace the hinge hardware on your project, or for anyone using your idea, Lee Valley sells a similar product as a “drying rack”.

I don’t know how mine would work with the weight you have on yours but it works well for wool hiking socks etc.
I’m sure mine would still need the latches you installed especially if it was rolling down the road.
IMG_2597_Original.jpeg

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Nice idea.
If you need to replace the hinge hardware on your project, or for anyone using your idea, Lee Valley sells a similar product as a “drying rack”.

I don’t know how mine would work with the weight you have on yours but it works well for wool hiking socks etc.
I’m sure mine would still need the latches you installed especially if it was rolling down the road.
View attachment 829597
The hinges in your photo look identical to the ones I used. Pretty sure it's exactly the same product!

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
In order to make re-filling the water tank easier in-camp, I mounted a 12v water pump inside a plastic tool box.

This pump puts out 3.5GPM, can pull water from as far as 130ft, and can push it as high as 9ft up. It draws up to a max of 9a.

0cwoU9m.jpeg

I've added a regular 12v socket plug, with a built-in on/off switch. This will plug into my portable Jackery 300 power station, but can just as easily plug into a car, trailer, or other 12v source.

On the output side is the blue, 15ft potable-water garden hose. I can add my inline Camco water filter to this right before it feeds into the trailer.

On the input side is the white, 25ft Camco potable-water garden hose. This can go into any water source (water canister, lake, river, etc.). I also have three more 50ft Camco hoses to connect/extend the water intake line as much (or as little) as necessary. The same hoses can be used to connect to a water supply line in any official park (without using the water pump at all).

Outside of the three, 50ft hoses, everything else fits neatly inside this single box.

eel8C8j.jpeg

I can now easily refill the trailer from my water containers, a campground water supply, or any body of water.

mekcanix

Camper
In order to make re-filling the water tank easier in-camp, I mounted a 12v water pump inside a plastic tool box.

This pump puts out 3.5GPM, can pull water from as far as 130ft, and can push it as high as 9ft up. It draws up to a max of 9a.

0cwoU9m.jpeg

I've added a regular 12v socket plug, with a built-in on/off switch. This will plug into my portable Jackery 300 power station, but can just as easily plug into a car, trailer, or other 12v source.

On the output side is the blue, 15ft potable-water garden hose. I can add my inline Camco water filter to this right before it feeds into the trailer.

On the input side is the white, 25ft Camco potable-water garden hose. This can go into any water source (water canister, lake, river, etc.). I also have three more 50ft Camco hoses to connect/extend the water intake line as much (or as little) as necessary. The same hoses can be used to connect to a water supply line in any official park (without using the water pump at all).

Outside of the three, 50ft hoses, everything else fits neatly inside this single box.

eel8C8j.jpeg

I can now easily refill the trailer from my water containers, a campground water supply, or any body of water.
Great Job!! I love this idea, I think I will steal it and make my own. Love it

John

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

0cwoU9m.jpeg

eel8C8j.jpeg

Great Job!! I love this idea, I think I will steal it and make my own. Love it

John
That's pretty slick! Agreed @mekcanix I might have to do the same too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan