eatSleepWoof gets a Winnie

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Battery relocation, hookup, battery monitor install - everything is done and trailer is now running off my 200ah of lithium. The DC/DC charger is 99% connected - I ran out of Anderson connectors and of 2ga wiring, so hookup to the actual truck will have to wait until new components come in.

I decided to run the wiring from my new battery location, straight down through the floor, and to the spots used by the OEM battery connection. This minimizes mods to the trailer and makes things easily revertible, should that ever be wanted.

So... I drilled a pilot hole through the floor of my new storage unit, then cut open the underbelly plastic around the protruding drill bit and got access to the bottom of the floor. There was a 1.5" gap between the bottom of the plywood and the underbelly plastic, so I filled that gap with 1.5" of plywood, and then drilled out the full 1 1/8" hole to run my wiring.

1lUVSoD.jpeg

I originally planned to run all new electrical through schedule 40 conduit, and even bought it, but in the end decided to keep things simple; namely because all original Winnebago wiring is exposed and doesn't even have a sleeve on it, so unless I planned on re-doing it all, there was little to no point going "all out" with my electrical.

My wire harness includes four 2ga wires (two for the battery connection, two for the DC/DC charger). The wires are wrapped in a wire sleeve, and then finished off with electrical tape. This is the new harness coming out of the floor and going to the tongue of the trailer.

3MpHswR.jpeg

Winnebago had a pre-drilled, 37mm hole just where I needed it, so I added a rubber grommet to it, and ran the wiring through the grommet.

LXVXKna.jpeg

e2cAQ85.jpeg

This is the wiring coming out on the other side, and splitting into two directions.

DncVLLD.jpeg

This branch runs to the original electrical hookup location:

drl2UqD.jpeg

And the wires connect exactly as/where the original battery connected.

h8Z4l5D.jpeg

This is what the interior electrical ended up as:

yY8uG1B.jpeg

I left enough slack in the negative cable to reach the fourth battery position (should I decide to add another two batteries).

DdAmrJG.jpeg

I mounted the battery monitor on the side of my drawer unit. Easy to access/view when standing outside - less so from the interior. This was the least hassle, least mods location, and I anticipate it'll work out just fine.

Note the 5ah of charge in the photo. I was initially surprised to see this, as I had the trailer disconnected and nothing was supposed to be adding charge. Then I remembered the solar panel on the roof. Considering it's the middle of April, and we're up north in Canada, that seems like a very, very good amount of solar charge for the conditions. A nice, pleasant surprise.

ZjiRYGx.jpeg

While considering battery monitor locations, I opened up the cabinet right above the sink, where the main "control panel" is. Found an inline, 3a fuse for the awning lights there. Not relevant to my mods, but good to know that's there.

eVmQung.jpeg

Lastly, added the new Juno, 8" x 60" x 80" residential-queen mattress. It's definitely softer than I like, but initially seems reasonably comfortable; hope it works out!

lIscOUX.jpeg

Mattress folds easily to allow access "downstairs":

IAsyz8d.jpeg

I also figured out sleeping arrangements for the infant (at least for this summer). Bought (yet another) baby bed, cut down the legs, and ta-da. (I'll strap this down so there's no chance of it falling off.) This should do the trick for now.

UzWnYii.jpeg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've found the waste holding tanks to be more limiting than the fresh. There are few places in Eastern US where you can randomly dump gray and obviously none for black. It might be different in the Far North but in the US you wouldn't want lake water in your fresh tank.(n)
That's disappointing to hear. Have you considered converting to a composting toilet, or one of the many other options? Might make life easier for you.

Thankfully it sounds like we have decent infrastructure for dumping the tanks (from what I see/hear - I haven't actually used a sanidump even once in my life) and lots of clean, fresh water around.
We find our grey water usually fills up 1st. What we do to deal with it is to carry a mop bucket in the passthrough. When the grey tank fills up, I dump into into the mop bucket and carry it to an outhouse and dump it there. Usually takes a few trips.

We usually just use the trailer bathroom in the middle of the night or 1st thing in the morning.

During the day / evening we use the site washrooms to help keep the black tank as empty as possible.

Every site I've ever stayed at has had a sani dump. So we dump the black / grey tanks as we are leaving to go home.

Last edited:

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Wrapped up the wiring on the weekend and the DC/DC charger is now operational.

Connector mounted below the LX bumper:

QvQ0Erd.jpeg

LLU3IBZ.jpeg

Test fit:

a3mKGrs.jpeg

40ah of charge from the DC/DC charger, and another 5ah from solar:

KznRUjr.jpeg

That should do nicely.

With this in place the LX is now a quieter, better generator than any generator, and since it's not a generator, there are no restrictions to running it only during certain hours at campgrounds. I can idle the LX for 5 hours and recharge the batteries from 0 to 100%, and of course, the same charge will happen while driving from campsite to campsite.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Wrapped up the wiring on the weekend and the DC/DC charger is now operational.

Connector mounted below the LX bumper:

QvQ0Erd.jpeg

LLU3IBZ.jpeg

Test fit:

a3mKGrs.jpeg

40ah of charge from the DC/DC charger, and another 5ah from solar:

KznRUjr.jpeg

That should do nicely.

With this in place the LX is now a quieter, better generator than any generator, and since it's not a generator, there are no restrictions to running it only during certain hours at campgrounds. I can idle the LX for 5 hours and recharge the batteries from 0 to 100%, and of course, the same charge will happen while driving from campsite to campsite.
Very cool idea.

Sorry to hijack.. quick question. Thinking of heading to your neck of the woods this summer and towing our trailer. Any goods camp grounds close to town you can recommend? Doesn't matter if it's buried in the forest or anything. It's basically just a place to sleep while visiting my folks. I was looking at Ellison Provincial Park.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Battery relocation, hookup, battery monitor install - everything is done and trailer is now running off my 200ah of lithium. The DC/DC charger is 99% connected - I ran out of Anderson connectors and of 2ga wiring, so hookup to the actual truck will have to wait until new components come in.

I decided to run the wiring from my new battery location, straight down through the floor, and to the spots used by the OEM battery connection. This minimizes mods to the trailer and makes things easily revertible, should that ever be wanted.

So... I drilled a pilot hole through the floor of my new storage unit, then cut open the underbelly plastic around the protruding drill bit and got access to the bottom of the floor. There was a 1.5" gap between the bottom of the plywood and the underbelly plastic, so I filled that gap with 1.5" of plywood, and then drilled out the full 1 1/8" hole to run my wiring.

1lUVSoD.jpeg

I originally planned to run all new electrical through schedule 40 conduit, and even bought it, but in the end decided to keep things simple; namely because all original Winnebago wiring is exposed and doesn't even have a sleeve on it, so unless I planned on re-doing it all, there was little to no point going "all out" with my electrical.

My wire harness includes four 2ga wires (two for the battery connection, two for the DC/DC charger). The wires are wrapped in a wire sleeve, and then finished off with electrical tape. This is the new harness coming out of the floor and going to the tongue of the trailer.

3MpHswR.jpeg

Winnebago had a pre-drilled, 37mm hole just where I needed it, so I added a rubber grommet to it, and ran the wiring through the grommet.

LXVXKna.jpeg

e2cAQ85.jpeg

This is the wiring coming out on the other side, and splitting into two directions.

DncVLLD.jpeg

This branch runs to the original electrical hookup location:

drl2UqD.jpeg

And the wires connect exactly as/where the original battery connected.

h8Z4l5D.jpeg

This is what the interior electrical ended up as:

yY8uG1B.jpeg

I left enough slack in the negative cable to reach the fourth battery position (should I decide to add another two batteries).

DdAmrJG.jpeg

I mounted the battery monitor on the side of my drawer unit. Easy to access/view when standing outside - less so from the interior. This was the least hassle, least mods location, and I anticipate it'll work out just fine.

Note the 5ah of charge in the photo. I was initially surprised to see this, as I had the trailer disconnected and nothing was supposed to be adding charge. Then I remembered the solar panel on the roof. Considering it's the middle of April, and we're up north in Canada, that seems like a very, very good amount of solar charge for the conditions. A nice, pleasant surprise.

ZjiRYGx.jpeg

While considering battery monitor locations, I opened up the cabinet right above the sink, where the main "control panel" is. Found an inline, 3a fuse for the awning lights there. Not relevant to my mods, but good to know that's there.

eVmQung.jpeg

Lastly, added the new Juno, 8" x 60" x 80" residential-queen mattress. It's definitely softer than I like, but initially seems reasonably comfortable; hope it works out!

lIscOUX.jpeg

Mattress folds easily to allow access "downstairs":

IAsyz8d.jpeg

I also figured out sleeping arrangements for the infant (at least for this summer). Bought (yet another) baby bed, cut down the legs, and ta-da. (I'll strap this down so there's no chance of it falling off.) This should do the trick for now.

UzWnYii.jpeg
What's the plan when the kiddo is out of bassinet and needs something larger, but hasn't transitioned to a bed yet? I'm at that point with my toddler and she still sleeps in a play pen thing. I have rented a few trailers for one nighters and non of them are wide enough to fit the playpen so we always have to do some sketchy mods to make it work.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
What's the plan when the kiddo is out of bassinet and needs something larger, but hasn't transitioned to a bed yet? I'm at that point with my toddler and she still sleeps in a play pen thing. I have rented a few trailers for one nighters and non of them are wide enough to fit the playpen so we always have to do some sketchy mods to make it work.
What about a portable bed guard rail?

Screenshot 2024-03-25 150916.png

Screenshot 2024-03-25 150841.png

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Very cool idea.

Sorry to hijack.. quick question. Thinking of heading to your neck of the woods this summer and towing our trailer. Any goods camp grounds close to town you can recommend? Doesn't matter if it's buried in the forest or anything. It's basically just a place to sleep while visiting my folks. I was looking at Ellison Provincial Park.
I'll shoot you a PM in a bit!

I initially picked up a bed rail just like what Todd posted, but it's a bit clunky and wouldn't be all that convenient with the couch we have. Long-term I plan to remove the couch and build a better setup in that area, and I'll figure out child-containment options at the same time. Likely some sort of slide out, pivot, lock-in-place bed rail system. That's basically a problem for next year :)

ITTOG

I'll shoot you a PM in a bit!

I initially picked up a bed rail just like what Todd posted, but it's a bit clunky and wouldn't be all that convenient with the couch we have. Long-term I plan to remove the couch and build a better setup in that area, and I'll figure out child-containment options at the same time. Likely some sort of slide out, pivot, lock-in-place bed rail system. That's basically a problem for next year :)
You need one of the couches that turns into a bunk bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online