Edgar: The adventures and ramblings of a high mileage 1992 Chevy K1500 RCSB

TwinDuro

This gathering of the GGTC (Golden Girls Truck Club) finally fixed my long-ailing steering situation on Edgar-Rose, which upon jacking the truck up, was even more dire then I originally thought (there was about 3” of play in the idler arm and tie rods combined)!

CB3BFF59-A199-4ED3-AB09-D4C4EFDFE93E.jpeg

Thankfully , I had a pile of new Moog parts and a great deal of help from @Skinny06 and buddy Nick to make a bad situation better. Out with the old….

4DDE8469-0B35-4BFF-9404-0C1E7CCCBB57.jpeg

In with the new!

27664979-5346-491A-A761-3D4452295460.jpeg

The old “swing-set” came out pretty quickly with a small sledge hammer and a pickle fork (for the pitman arm to center link connection), and the steering box removal went pretty quickly as well, but the removing the old pitman arm from the box was a challenge.

The big nut on the sector shaft was larger then the largest socket we had (32mm) so a trip to the auto parts store to rent a big impact socket set was in order. The kit had a 33mm socket in it which did the trick. I forgot to to take pictures of all of this, but @Skinny06 ‘s big honkin’ battery-powered Dewalt impact gun removed the nut slick as snot and a standard cheapy pitman arm puller with that same impact did the rest. Installation of the new pitman arm was much easier but involved lots of shenanigans ? What happens in the garage, stays in the garage….

C895749A-372B-40FA-820B-FDC70253C90D.jpeg

Compared to the whimpy original, the new Moog HD idler arm is massive! Also, here are the aforementioned billet steel Cunningham Machine tie rod adjusters as well. I’m not a fan of split sleeves and these add a bit of beef to the equation along with easier adjustment:

42671F06-2330-45EE-9708-A99C9E568657.jpeg

I got a new center-link (relay rod) as well so we didn’t have to mess with the old one. The steering box seemed tight with no leaks, so no reason to replace it.

E9AFCB72-E08D-4DBD-B681-91BB63E6A509.jpeg

Idler Arm installed:

49C05E92-A5FC-45AF-9BD2-214B02BA0BB4.jpeg

Pitman Arm:

B0B5E3A3-3F3B-436E-BABA-A20669B39FB1.jpeg

Centerlink:

D3A09D73-4D4D-4195-A738-23341F132936.jpeg

After everything was buttoned up, my buddy used his well-calibrated, laser-aligned eyeballs and a tape measure and he got the tie rods adjust to a “not just good, but good enough” level of alignment and we called it good for now.

96792FFE-A0A7-4A36-9A82-2C10FD5D0BF3.jpeg

Once the front suspension is refreshed, i’ll get a “proper” alignment. She drives like a Ferrari on 33” tires now! So much better!

Teamwork makes the dream work!

Last edited:

TwinDuro

How did those oddball zerk fittings end up working out on the outside edges of the inner tie rods?

@Skinny06, they actually went in no problem. They literally just threaded in easy-as-can-be despite the non-threaded hole... After it was all put together, I gave everything a shot of grease and no problemo!

TwinDuro

Thought that truck on FB looked familiar, knew I saw it somewhere else

Haha, indeed @Smileyshaun. "Overlanding for the Poors" was recommended for me as a group on FB (ha!) and I laughed so much at the name, I had to join and post up some photos. Wasn't expecting the response ol Edgar got!

What rig did you end up replacing your Sierra 1500 with? I enjoyed that thread while you had that truck. A set of Kenda Klever RT's is definitely on my short list for a next set of tires down the road based on your impressions.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Haha, indeed @Smileyshaun. "Overlanding for the Poors" was recommended for me as a group on FB (ha!) and I laughed so much at the name, I had to join and post up some photos. Wasn't expecting the response ol Edgar got!

What rig did you end up replacing your Sierra 1500 with? I enjoyed that thread while you had that truck. A set of Kenda Klever RT's is definitely on my short list for a next set of tires down the road based on your impressions.
Well I replaced it with a rubicon 4E3C79B5-CA23-46C3-925F-5996F312880F.jpegbut quickly found out it was impractical for my life but thankfully with the crazy car market I sold it to a different dealership and didn’t loose any money and settled on a 1st gen sequoia much happier now FE72947B-804D-4890-9F04-EF98C87CD156.jpeg

Too bad you weren’t closer I have one brand new 35 1050 kenda I need to sell off

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer

I will say that overlanding for the poors page can go from good to a bunch of complaining real quick lol

red87

Adventurer
What're your impressions of the 70-series muffler? I'm looking at one for my truck and really don't want it to drone in the cab like the 40-series I've used before.

TwinDuro

What're your impressions of the 70-series muffler? I'm looking at one for my truck and really don't want it to drone in the cab like the 40-series I've used before.

@red87, I haven’t yet installed the exhaust system but it’s on the priority-short list now that the steering is improved. I’ll post my impressions here as soon as it’s on.

I went with the 70 series Flowmaster for similar reasons. I didn’t want Edgar’s exhaust loud or drone-y, but figured something that let a little bit of the V8’s rumble through would be nice. It’s a massive muffler. I also watched this YouTube video, with an almost identical setup, for some input:

TwinDuro

Well I replaced it with a rubicon View attachment 691741but quickly found out it was impractical for my life but thankfully with the crazy car market I sold it to a different dealership and didn’t loose any money and settled on a 1st gen sequoia much happier now View attachment 691742

Too bad you weren’t closer I have one brand new 35 1050 kenda I need to sell off

@Smileyshaun, very cool and it sounds like through some trial and error you ended up with the perfect vehicle for your needs. I’ve always loved first gen Tundras and Sequoias. They’re definetly underdogs, IMHO. That’s a good looking rig!

Dangit, yeah, I wish I was a bit closer to the Bend area because if I was I’d buy that extra 35x10.50 off you for test fitting…

Smileyshaun

Observer
@Smileyshaun, very cool and it sounds like through some trial and error you ended up with the perfect vehicle for your needs. I’ve always loved first gen Tundras and Sequoias. They’re definetly underdogs, IMHO. That’s a good looking rig!

Dangit, yeah, I wish I was a bit closer to the Bend area because if I was I’d buy that extra 35x10.50 off you for test fitting…

oh darn I’d have to come to bend and stop and get beer …. Sounds terrible

2j_macrae_z

Great looking truck! I have a soft spot for these GMT 400s. I’m 31 and I’ve owned 5 of them lol most of them lifted 3” and 35s. One was 6” and 37s. Never owned a scsb, but I’ve had eclb, ecsb, sclb,cclb x2.

TwinDuro

Great looking truck! I have a soft spot for these GMT 400s. I’m 31 and I’ve owned 5 of them lol most of them lifted 3” and 35s. One was 6” and 37s. Never owned a scsb, but I’ve had eclb, ecsb, sclb,cclb x2.

Thanks for the kind words @2j_macrae_z. That's quite the fleet of GMT400s you've had! I have a soft spot for them too. I thought about it and I'm sure it doesn't help that the first GMT-400 I got to drive was my Cousin's brand newer (at the time) '99 K2500 (HD) RCLB with a 5.7/NV4500 combo out in the hinterlands of South Dakota...

Out of curiosity, on your trucks with 3" of lift and 35s, what was the setup like on those? Body lift? Lift blocks on the rear? I always like to hear what other folks' setups are :D

Last edited:

TwinDuro

I felt the need to get out of the house after not leaving the neighborhood since the day before Christmas (which was nice too, but a guy get's stir crazy!), so went on a little snow cruise through the Orting Valley and surrounding hills...

Edgar #1.jpeg

Like many, we got a relatively unseasonable (usually we get hit worse late January-February) cold snap where temperatures dropped to high-teens and 6-10 inches of snow fell overnight. Just a dusting for certain parts of the country, but around here it shuts things down quicker then the cops showin' up at a highschool kegger.

Edgar #3.jpeg

Made for a fun hour or two drive jaunt and was a great reminder to me of how beautiful my own backyard is, especially when lightly frosted!

Edgar #5.jpeg

The Puyallup River (pictured above) was flowing pretty lightly and nearby farm ponds had a nice layer of ice on them. Make's me want to get rigged up for snow camping again! :D

Edgar #4.jpeg

TwinDuro

As with many 30+ year old rigs, sometimes cruising the wrecking yard for parts becomes a necessity… at least if you don’t have a short box full of cash, which I assure you I do not, ha ha.

Last week’s walkabout the pick-n-pull scored some long awaited parts:

FD8C2414-54D8-45CC-BABD-418996362635.jpeg

I was on GMT400 death row and came across a Tahoe and got excited when I saw this sticker on the core support:

69D9857C-A706-43D1-B5F6-A7279EA77CDF.jpeg

Can it really be?

75C4C194-43E2-41D6-91F0-F26574426D22.jpeg

Well I’ll be dipped!

725A77F2-44A4-4E9F-9337-EF757D4F4B09.jpeg

So I hastily pulled the complete posi-lok unit, the Tahoe’s perfect front bumper (mine’s trashed) a matching gray overhead console (soon to get accessory switches) from a nearby Suburban and got out of there like a bandit for a couple of Andrew Jacksons…

Gotta love the pick-n-pull!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior