Edgestar Fridge Low Battery Cut Off Issues

kuh

I've had the fridge running for 9 days and have not had a LBCO shut down.

The LBCO light will come on when the battery reaches 25% capacity. Before the fix it would

light up around the 80% capacity. I have only had to charge the battery once.

Overall I am very happy with the results.

Thanks Rondo for doing all the leg work and figuring out the problem with the Edgestar fridges.

Last edited:

mohamjordan

Hay guys, I did some testing with different resistors "370k,420k,390k,550" just to get the low LBO to come on at 10-11 volts but was not able to get it to come on with out LBO also kicking in at high voltage of 13.2 volt also. I did the tests with compressor signal yellow wire disconnected so i don't miss up the compressor. So I went back to 500k where the LBO never comes not even at 5 volts. Just wondering if I forget the fridge ON would the compressor kick in at low voltage like 9 and such? Or would the compressor controller not allow that to happen?

kuh

starting to act up again, took the temp controller out of the slot and left it outside of the fridge.

Needed to replug the factory connector to get it working.

Haven't had any issues with the 100+ heat.

Maybe I need to buy a new controller?

mohamjordan

starting to act up again, took the temp controller out of the slot and left it outside of the fridge.

Needed to replug the factory connector to get it working.

Haven't had any issues with the 100+ heat.

Maybe I need to buy a new controller?

Kuh, if i were you i would not replace the controller with another POS edgstar unit. I would go for a better controller or even a manual one would be the best. And that's just what i am going to do if it acts up in the future.

kuh

I might just go that route. The controller is now on the outside of the fridge using velcro. Seems to be functioning great and haven't had any problems in the last week.

Can you tell me where you located a different temp controller for the Edgestar?

Thanks.

boug

Edgestar not running on DC

Hi all,
I have a FP 430 that cools fine on AC, but not DC. On DC the cooling fan runs for about 1-2 seconds, then stops. The temp LED is lit (ambient temperature is shown) , the low cutoff light is not. I have tried it in three different vehicles ( voltages were 12/11.8/ and 13), same result everytime. I tried FF, same result--i.e. no cooling. I called Edgestar, they were no help and suggested I bring it to a local shop.

Any thoughts? Would the Rando resistor method work?
Thanks!

Boug

kuh

Check all the connection inside the fridge and tighten all the screws just to make sure.

take the controller, the digital display part and unplug it and tighten the screws on the plug.

Reconnect with the controller left out and see if it works. i think some of the actual wires

that plug into the controller may be at fault too.

hopefully that works.

I left mine outside of the fridge and it have been working flawlessly for the last couple of weeks.

mohamjordan

Check all the connection inside the fridge and tighten all the screws just to make sure.

take the controller, the digital display part and unplug it and tighten the screws on the plug.

Reconnect with the controller left out and see if it works. i think some of the actual wires

that plug into the controller may be at fault too.

hopefully that works.

I left mine outside of the fridge and it have been working flawlessly for the last couple of weeks.

Kuh ,Sorry for the late response but If you want a third party digital temp controller you will have to buy the temp sensor with it cause i tried 2 different brand controllers with the existing Edgstar sensor and no luck. But the best controllers are the manual one no fuss no errors just work all the time. Just google DC Digital/manual temp controllers. Before you do that I resolved my error problems with the Rando resistor mode and I also replaced the Cigarette lighter plug with Anderson plugs and mine is been working fine as of today.

mohamjordan

I have not seen any 12volt fridge that worked OK on OEM cigarette plug wiring. To see if you have a good fridge wire you fridge directly to the battery and see if you can get it to work ok. OEM car wiring is too small to carry enough current with out a huge drop in voltage when the fridge compressor kicks in. If your fridge works ok wired directly to the battery then Make Sure you wire a dedicated 6mm wire directly from your battery to the fridge plug with a 10a fuse as close to the battery as you can get.

kuh

Everything has been working fine since I took the temp controller and mounted it on the outside of the fridge.

I think some of the problem is the two green connectors that plug into the temp controller. Just make sure they are tight and haven't had any problems since.

mohamjordan

this issue you guys are having. are they when the unit is new or old? i was looking at getting a 43qt version but with these issues, maybe i shouldnt? i have read so many people saying after years of use, they are still working....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23350-Cheap-Fridge-lt-400-shipped/page105

I was having issues with it from the get go, day one out of the box. After I modified it its been working OK as of today.I would stay away from it and get something more money like Engel or ARB .

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I was having issues with it from the get go, day one out of the box. After I modified it its been working OK as of today.I would stay away from it and get something more money like Engel or ARB .

thank you. really dont need one but i hate having to go buy ice and carry extra weight

4x4junkie

Explorer
Only time I've ever had anything resembling the low battery cutoff cutting in too soon with mine was when it was plugged in in our motorhome (Winnebago). I measured the voltage at the socket and it dropped a good 1¼ volts or so when the fridge ran = too much wiring resistance. Even so, it still ran fine if the batts were about 50% charged or higher.

Other than that, never once have had any issue with it, even after days of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan