Eezi-Awn Globetrotter on a AT Horizon - My selection and install

gasman

Adventurer
oh yeah set up time aint too bad at all.. un zip the bag give er a good pull and stake it out.. the two of us have it set up in about 10 mins in the dark.
IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

_MG_5409.jpg

_MG_5407.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

gasman

Adventurer
oh yeah one more thing .. great write up romer..im sure that globe trotter will serve you well.. its guys like you who inspired me to go ahead and build my camper .. i hope i didnt hijack your thread or nothin.. so i will shut up now..

Romer

Adventurer
gasman - Thanks for the input on the serengeti. I think I would have been happy with either and both Paul and Fernando are great vendors with excellent customer service.

It's nice to have options based on needs.

gasman

Adventurer
gasman - Thanks for the input on the serengeti. I think I would have been happy with either and both Paul and Fernando are great vendors with excellent customer service.

It's nice to have options based on needs.

thats what i was trying to say... you wouldnt believe the discussions i had trying to decide wich one..but finally it came down to my girlfreind yellin at me.. '''just buy the damn thing already''

Romer

Adventurer
Update -I recieved lengthened walls form Ezi-awn. Great customer service from Paul May at Equipment Outfitters and Eszi-Awn in South Africa. Apparently they were at SEMA and measured one on a Horizon and figured they needed to add 4 inches to the length.

Installed my new panels and the length is perfect

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
What parts did they lengthen? The main wall fabric, or the lower skirt? There is a chance that I'm going to have to do something like that also since I'm going to be right at the height limit.

Have any pictures? Not that it probably looks any different than the normal tent.

-

Romer

Adventurer
They sent me a whole new set of all 4 panels that was 4" longer. Mine was brand new and never used so I am just exchanging and paying shipping. I didn't take any pictures. Looks the same as the pictures above, except it is the perfect height

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
I noticed the mention of some difficulty opening the tent. The method that we use and find to be very simple: open up the door and bug screen while the tent is flat, place the ladder and climb up onto the mattress and then lift the center hoop up. It'll pop right open. No pulling or tugging on straps.

We also recommend keeping the walls attached. We slightly crimp the metal hooks so they stay in place. When putting the tent away, we unzip the walls where they attach in the corners and fold them into the closed tent. The beauty of doing this is that when you deploy the tent, the walls cascade out for you and you don't have to go through the repetitive effort of attaching them. Joe Wagner here on ExPo has done this with his Globetrotter and has been very pleased with this rapid deployment method.

I use a strap which I just hook on to open or close, as Mario suggests above with the walls on, this makes it much more manageable. I am currently just using a 12 foot by 1 inch load strap which I flick up over the tent.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Where do you hook the strap to? The center of the top hoop? I would think the awning would get in the way? Otherwise, that the way I was thinking also.

-

FotoValpen

Adventurer
Great write up! Just what I've been looking for.

What are your thoughts (or anyone elses) on the quality of the fabrics between the GT and My Way? Both as durable and reliable? By the looks of the pictures it seems as the GT's material is more robust and durable. I like the idea of not having to have the extra room. But at the same time if I am flyfishing and photographing I will be there for a few days and may want the larger rooms. Does anyone know if Eezi-Awn will be making larger rooms for the GT? I too have the dilemma of whether or not my wife and 2 kids will be coming or if I will be me plus 1 extra.

I am located in Sweden so it gets quite cold here, should this need to be taken into consideration....

I am working on renovating my Volvo Laplander and the PTO powered trailer to it. I have a FrontRunner rack to the truck but I will be ditching this since I have the trailer. So right now the total height of my trailer is up to me so the wall lengths are not a consideration right now.

My trailer build: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23852&highlight=SWeden

The renovation blog: http://www.soost.com/valpen

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Where do you hook the strap to? The center of the top hoop? I would think the awning would get in the way? Otherwise, that the way I was thinking also.

-

hook is large enough to place on the front bar of the room, and unhook after use. Perhaps a mounted hook would be a finishing touch.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
hook is large enough to place on the front bar of the room, and unhook after use. Perhaps a mounted hook would be a finishing touch.

Thanks... I'll have to look into that option... I can definitely see it being hard to pull up unless you crawl in the open door and open up that way like someone from AT suggested.

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears