Eezi-Awn Globetrotter on a AT Horizon - My selection and install

Romer

Adventurer
Scott

Thanks for your perspective

Where did you place the heater to ensure it didnt burn anything and did you run it while your sleeping? Did you think there was more ventalation with this tent?

On adding more material, can you tell me more about that?

Thanks

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I just noticed it looks like the tent hangs over the front nosebox of the trailer pretty well.. how far does it over hang? Do you put your feet at this end?

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice tent and extra room,good write up on the pros and cons.I think I will stick with my 1800 series. My wife and I are very pleased with it.

zornff

I like the look of the globetrotter. I also like the look of the my way trailer tent. The my way tent looks to have a bigger room, and alot more awning area to be able to walk around the outside in inclament weather.
Does anyone have one or know anything about these as far as quality, height to ground for add on room etc.. I would rather not do extensive modifications on a new set up if it can be avoided.

Last edited:

pygmyowl

Scott

Thanks for your perspective

Where did you place the heater to ensure it didnt burn anything and did you run it while your sleeping? Did you think there was more ventalation with this tent?

On adding more material, can you tell me more about that?

Thanks

As you can see from the attached photo, I used a hole saw cutter and and ran the exhaust & combustion lines out through it. Espar calls out a separation of at least 8" between the two and I have something like 14", but they also are pointed at different angles so the chances of sucking in exhaust into the combustion is not a concern, and my cold air intake is coming in through the other side of the rocket box, well away from the exhaust. I only use the heater in the evening and getting up on cold mornings, I have a Marmot down bag, that keeps me warm down to 0F, and lower than that I have sleep with my down coat, etc. I will get a good test this January in Mammoth as I like to go wolf watching in YNP and that is about as cold as it gets in the lower 48.

Not too much to add on the material. The canvas guy I used also makes wall tents, and he had some coated material he uses on the bottom of his wall tents so that it doesn't mold or mildew. He just sewed on an additional 10" strip all along the bottom on all the panels. Just wanted something when all hell breaks loose to not only stake out the panels, but to place rocks on when the wind really howls, which seems to be every time a go out camping.

I always thought any of the EA tents vent real well, lots of openings to let air in.

Replying to the other question about fore/aft centering, it really isn't too bad. I have mine extending up just past the water tank, and in the rear it goes about 13" past the end of the trailer. Don't have a problem at all with the forward placement and the rear isn't too bad, but you could possibly hit your head back there, though with the tail gate down this wouldn't be a concern.

I didn't have to move my vertical supports for the Fiammia awning. I just took them Partner Steel and they cut about 3 or 4" off the top (I hate cutting SS), and I have about 2" gap from the tent and the supports.

Hope this helps,

Scotty

Attachments

• ESPAR_HEAT_MG_3417.jpg
    ESPAR_HEAT_MG_3417.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 215
  • ESPAR_HEAT_MG_3420-Edit.jpg
    ESPAR_HEAT_MG_3420-Edit.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 204
  • CANY_LANDS_2073.jpg
    CANY_LANDS_2073.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 192
  • TETONIAHORIZON_1000027.jpg
    TETONIAHORIZON_1000027.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 207
  • TETONIARACK-AFTER-1000021.jpg
    TETONIARACK-AFTER-1000021.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
A question about the length of the side walls for the changing room:

Do you have the torsion axle suspension or one of the TAAS air suspensions?

If you have the torsion axle, people should know that the tent will be even higher off the ground with the TAAS. But, at least with the TAAS, you can let the air out to get it lower to the ground than the torsion axle suspension.

This might just make the side walls the perfect height for staking them down.

Another suggesion about staking down the side walls, add short guy lines to make up the difference. This would also help in uneven terrain.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I have the toprzion axle. Mine is a 2005 like yours.

Okay, well, I thought I had an easy fix for you. You can still use the short guy line idea. Or, you might consider upgrading to the TAAS at a later date. I'm really, really, really glad I did.

Romer

Adventurer
Scott - Do you use your awning? Thinking because that adds so much weight to the tent that if it was removable (its not) that it would not be as akward to setup. Also curious if you stow ith your side panels and what you have to do special with that.

pygmyowl

Scott - Do you use your awning? Thinking because that adds so much weight to the tent that if it was removable (its not) that it would not be as akward to setup. Also curious if you stow ith your side panels and what you have to do special with that.

Just got the GT couple of months ago and haven't used the awning yet. You are right about the weight and if it was removed it wouldn't be so awkward to set up, but believe it also works as kinda of a counter balance to keep the tent top down and stable. Wish it was removable though, so you had the option.

I have just been carrying my panels in the bag they came with, but I think it would be a good idea to keep them attached and just fold them up with the rest of the tent when you are sure you are going to use them.

I also saw a bit of wear on the fabric from the hooks on the ladder, so I got some tennis balls and made a small slit and place these over the hooks when the ladder is stowed.

Romer

Adventurer
Had to take it on the highway so I could get the VIN checked and registered.

Thinking there is a need to do something with the big space between the tent and the roof (7"). Add Storage boxes, or a wind deflector.

Could tell there was a lot of wind channeling through there. Probably should move the tent back a bit as I noticed a lot of vibration from the front.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I noticed the mention of some difficulty opening the tent. The method that we use and find to be very simple: open up the door and bug screen while the tent is flat, place the ladder and climb up onto the mattress and then lift the center hoop up. It'll pop right open. No pulling or tugging on straps.

We also recommend keeping the walls attached. We slightly crimp the metal hooks so they stay in place. When putting the tent away, we unzip the walls where they attach in the corners and fold them into the closed tent. The beauty of doing this is that when you deploy the tent, the walls cascade out for you and you don't have to go through the repetitive effort of attaching them. Joe Wagner here on ExPo has done this with his Globetrotter and has been very pleased with this rapid deployment method.

indiedog

Adventurer
Had to take it on the highway so I could get the VIN checked and registered.

Thinking there is a need to do something with the big space between the tent and the roof (7"). Add Storage boxes, or a wind deflector.

Could tell there was a lot of wind channeling through there. Probably should move the tent back a bit as I noticed a lot of vibration from the front.

Looks to me like the perfect spot for a table/rack which slides in to hold some lighter items, and then when you get to where you are going, slide it out, flip it upside down, fold out the legs, and hey presto!..... a good sized table.

Romer

Adventurer
I noticed the mention of some difficulty opening the tent. The method that we use and find to be very simple: open up the door and bug screen while the tent is flat, place the ladder and climb up onto the mattress and then lift the center hoop up. It'll pop right open. No pulling or tugging on straps.

We also recommend keeping the walls attached. We slightly crimp the metal hooks so they stay in place. When putting the tent away, we unzip the walls where they attach in the corners and fold them into the closed tent. The beauty of doing this is that when you deploy the tent, the walls cascade out for you and you don't have to go through the repetitive effort of attaching them. Joe Wagner here on ExPo has done this with his Globetrotter and has been very pleased with this rapid deployment method.

Thanks Mario! I will give that a try. I left them out this time because I am going to lengthen them.

gasman

Adventurer
hey guys i guess its time that i chime in here .. i have been a long time lurker on this site,and have learned soooo much here, i built up a cndm101 from the info i got here and on the other site... anyway i stressed myself out for months and months trying to decide wich tent .. the gt or the my way.. i went with the my way.. i loved the versatility of the gt ..but loved the size of the my way.. i remember a time when everything went into a back pack for a week long trip.. now i dont want to sleep on rocks anymore .and it seems that i am always bringing more stuff.. most times it is just the girlfriend and myself but the kids come some times too. michele and i sleep up top and we can put 4 on the floor.. if it raining i can put a small table and 4 chairs inside. and yes the awning is huge .. a real plus in the rain . i can walk around the tent and stay dry no problem . i have been thinking about making some side walls . for when it is really bad.. now that would be cool...
fit and finish is very good i would say it was excellent.. i did have one minor problem with some stiching but fernando has takin care of me.. the only way bugs are gettin into this one is if the door is left open..

oh yeah i forgot . the question about the floor.. ?? every time i set up the tent i make sure that i have a ground sheet or tarp under the floor if its rianing i pull up the edges so no water goes underneath.. and on the inside i have a cut piece of indoor / outdoor carpet on the bottom of the ladder i have made feet from some tennis balls.. so i do not puncture the floor the floor is poly tarp but i think that if takin care of it should last a long long time
i believe there was a question about trailer hight ?
the tent is designed to be 57'' to 61'' from the ground, my trailer was excactly 59'' to the racks.. and i think it sits perfectly.. no sags or stretching

anyway i hope i have helped answer some questions here.. i swear it was a hard choice.. if it were just me i prolly would have went with globe trotter.. but i dont camp alone and i do have kids. . they are older and dont come all the time .. maybe one day i will be bringing my grandkids..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears