Electric Chain Saw???

Mdmeltdown

There are definitely some great new electric saws coming out now that battery and brush-less battery technology improves. EGO was one of the first "consumer" reasonably priced saws that came out a few years ago. I didn't get that brand because I wanted a smaller saw as it's the size of a normal gas saw. They do have a really cool carry case now that holds an extra battery and charger. The bottom of the bag has a little "basin" I'm assuming is to hold the blade oil that drips out. I haven't seen another battery saw with that.
1614397037804.png1614396936558.png1614396988809.png

I also 2nd, or 5th getting the Dewalt saw, EXCEPT, I recommend getting the smaller 20V - 12" blade one. It's very compact, uses Oregon blades and the 6 amp battery lasts a loooooong time. It also has a functioning safety brake like a normal saw. I don't know if any other 12" battery saws have that. If that blade is long enough, it will cut it. Plenty of power and it packs way better for Expedition purposes. I also cross over the battery for my drill and air compressor I use on my trips

1614397280179.png

86scotty

Cynic
I have a Kobalt 20v 12" bar from Lowe's but it's a few years old. It is much larger (longer overall) than my Stihl ms192 arborist saw but I still carry the Kobalt for silent firewood cutting while camping, and of course no smell in the rig. What I would really like to know is which of these modern 12" bar battery saws has the smallest footprint. That would get my vote for replacement. Size and storage is more important to me in a battery saw than battery life.

Reactions: WVI

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have a Ryobi 60v 18 inch bar. Bought it June 2020. I use it once a month on average its awesome. It will cut pretty decent sized limbs and runs long enough on a 4amphr battery that I haven’t come up short on juice yet. I was so impressed I added the 60v 10 inch 10ft pole saw and 60v blower. I use them far more than my gas stuff simply ease of use and no bad fuel issues etc.

86scotty

Cynic
I just ordered the Makita XCU06Z 10" bar saw, 2 6.0ah batteries and a charger for $260. I assembled all of this on Ebay, the batteries are generic.

Full length of the saw with bar and battery is 20", weight is around 9 lbs. with 6.0 battery. For comparison my Stihl 192 arborist saw 12" blade is around 8-9 lbs. full of fuel and oil. It has always seemed like a toy to me compared to my heavier tree felling saws, that is a very dangerous toy.

I can't wait to try the little silent Makita. I have found a few arborists on Youtube using them and loving them.

teethless

Great saw! I've been using one as my arb work climbing saw and it does the job admirably. Also swapped the bar, cog, and chain to a stihl pico setup and it provides a little more run time. Been running canola oil in it since new and won't be going back to conventional bar oil. The instant on, no fumes, and less noise are great trade offs with this relatively inexpensive setup.

Enjoy!

I just ordered the Makita XCU06Z 10" bar saw, 2 6.0ah batteries and a charger for $260. I assembled all of this on Ebay, the batteries are generic.

Full length of the saw with bar and battery is 20", weight is around 9 lbs. with 6.0 battery. For comparison my Stihl 192 arborist saw 12" blade is around 8-9 lbs. full of fuel and oil. It has always seemed like a toy to me compared to my heavier tree felling saws, that is a very dangerous toy.

I can't wait to try the little silent Makita. I have found a few arborists on Youtube using them and loving them.

86scotty

Cynic
I saw that Stihl bar and pico chain setup on Youtube. It is quite legit. For a trail saw for the truck I doubt I'll bother since I have several gas saws at home dedicated to tree felling and firewood processing. I did most definitely save all the part numbers for that setup though in case I want to make the change.

86scotty

Cynic
I got the batteries and charger for the little Makita yesterday and am very pleased. I wanted to show just how small this little guy is. My former camper/trail saw in the pic is obviously not an arborist saw like the Makita but it is about the most compact battery saw I could find a few years ago, a $250 12" bar Kobalt. The size/weight difference is amazing. I'm stoked. Yes, the Makita is only a 10" bar vs. the 12" of the Kobalt but I think I can get by.

I've also shown some comparisons to other common saws just because they were sitting on my shelf. How much smaller the Makita is than even the smallest gas Stihl arborist saw (192 12" bar) is pretty eye opening. As noted before with the 6ah battery the Makita weighs about the same as the Stihl.

The big saw shown is a modern Husqvarna with an 18" bar, 455 rancher I think. It's a beast but will never go camping with me.
f8d3fec2fff3b05877b2fb36a446370b.jpg

7d7017d6d862fa51e2bf2d54bc8a4cba.jpg

3a7ea367cbcfe50c8de444ef50fef8d6.jpg

35e2db6e7f97c846bb0a09b34491eea6.jpg

d1fb843c5219a80ba5c2998914f79adc.jpg

f50a27abaafad6d8d886a9eca9844eb8.jpg

40cf2fe9a193bf0d1e05f87b8bca4dba.jpg

6ec9dbc1115b20e069c32fa82070e893.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
Well I jumped on the E-Saw bandwagon Yesterday with a Milwaukee primarily because I have 2 other M18 Fuel tools and thus spare batteries. So far I am not impressed basing my comparison on Stihl 170 and 250 models. I'm giving it another shot tomorrow and if no change will be returning it. FYI the Milwaukee is much heavier than the Stihl 170 and costs about $100 dollars more. :(
UPDATE It's going back, sticking to Stihl until the E boys up their game or till I get so old all I'm cutting is 4" or less.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Well I jumped on the E-Saw bandwagon Yesterday with a Milwaukee primarily because I have 2 other M18 Fuel tools and thus spare batteries. So far I am not impressed basing my comparison on Stihl 170 and 250 models. I'm giving it another shot tomorrow and if no change will be returning it. FYI the Milwaukee is much heavier than the Stihl 170 and costs about $100 dollars more. :(

Which one did you get, specifically? I am also slowly moving to Milwaukee battery powered tools but wanted the smallest footprint saw for trail saw duties. My saw just stays behind the driver's seat of my truck year round. I had to make an exception on the Makita due to size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle