Enclosed military trailer W/side and back doors

Bella PSD

Explorer
I am thinking the C channel will be a simple way to get the motion in both directions. Rememmber, I need the RTT to slide to the left and right for access to the right and left side doors on the trailer.

All of the linear sliders I have seen only allow motion past the mounting surface in one direction only.

Louie

What is driving the Channel steel choice? With careful choice square or rectangular tube can be stronger and lighter.

Some of the links I posted above carry linear bearings. Not the least spendy option, but does merit serious consideration.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Open Topped Linear Bearings look like this:

Linear Rails look like this:

Click the pictures for links to the sources.

Further reference:
http://www.pacific-bearing.com

What I was envisioning was to mount the Rails to the under side of the RTT and the bearings to the top of the trailer. The amount the RTT could be shifted to either side would be dependent on how much rail extended out beyond the nearest bearing. That way the rails also act to support & stiffen the bottom of the RTT.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Oh. That will work VERY well!! I see what you mean. And it will go both ways. And looks like the rail will be stong enough to hold the RTT up when pulled out. I will look into this.

Thanks
Louie

ntsqd said:
Open Topped Linear Bearings look like this:

Linear Rails look like this:

Click the pictures for links to the sources.

Further reference:
http://www.pacific-bearing.com

What I was envisioning was to mount the Rails to the under side of the RTT and the bearings to the top of the trailer. The amount the RTT could be shifted to either side would be dependent on how much rail extended out beyond the nearest bearing. That way the rails also act to support & stiffen the bottom of the RTT.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Only real downside that I can see is relative cost. Those parts are designed for a large MTBF and their pricing reflects it.
The flip side is that they should last a long time in that application.

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
wow, those would be awesome! The only thing that deterred me from the pioneer trailer was the RTT issue. Did anyone ever find out costs?

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I bet if you put after market aluminum wheels and tires on that beast you'd loose over 100 lbs off it. I'd probally shave aleast 500 lbs off it by removing un-needed beef. Maybe even going to a dexter electric brake axle.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
WoW

Bella PSD I would just like to say you have a very nice truck/camper combo. Your new trailer is awesome. At almost 1900lbs. I think you got one heck of a deal. I wish I could find something like that around here. When your truck is finished it would make an awesome world travler :camping:

hojhauler

Observer
what about modifying the flip up doors, I am just guessing here but could you leave the top 10-12" of the doors solid to the trailer and re-hinge the rest of the door lower. Then you would have some good solid place to support your RTT and still have full access to your storage areas?

davegonz

Explorer
Bella,

Any chance you can post pics of your trailer? The earlier ones in the thread seem to be gone.

I am picking up a pioneer tool trailer tomorrow and wanted to know what you did to mount an RTT to the top.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I just updated the pictures that are gone. Go back and take a look....

Louie

One of the tags
M116%20Trailer%207-2007%20003.JPG

Mock up of how the tent will work.
First%20Trailer%20before%20Mock%20Up.jpg

one more the day I got it.
First%20Trailer%20before%20025.JPG

There are a few more in the thread. Just go back and look.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior