Enclosed military trailer W/side and back doors

Bella PSD

Explorer
Picked it up on my way out to camping on Friday. Got home Sunady afternoon. Already put 400 miles on the trailer. It’s in good shape. When the old owner said no rust...he meant it!! It's VERY solid. Just has a case of thick old layers of paint. Lights even worked! I will post some pictures Monday afternoon.

Louie

Last edited:

JonS

Congrats, looks like a very cool base to make a very nice trailer. Did you get a weight on it yet?

Bella PSD

Explorer
Here are a few pictures. Did not have much time today but I will shoot some of the inside later.
Louie
View attachment 9644

View attachment 9645

View attachment 9646

View attachment 9647

First%20Trailer%20before%20009.JPG

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very cool. I have seen those before too. It is a 3/4 ton rating, which for the military is usually underbuilt. The 3/4 giveaway is the number of lug nuts. 5 with the 9 x 16 tires, iirc, is 3.4 ton. I has a M116A1 flat bed that I loved, but had around a few years and never did anything with so I sold it. Probably never should have, was a hell of a trailer.

Anyway, that is neat. Total military style, layers and layers of paint. It is a hell of a platform to start with too..

Here are pics of the M116A1, probably the same manufacturer..

Bella PSD

Explorer
US ARMY
Tool Outfit
Portable Electric tools
Trailer Mounted

4/78
Southwest truck body

I have been out measuring:Mechanic:

Overall measurements
L 149.5” (12.5 feet)
W 79.3” (6.6 feet)
H 69.1” (5.75 feet)

Box measurements
L 106.3 (8.85 feet)
W 49.5” (4.125 feet)
H 36.5” (3.04 feet)

Fender
Width 13.2”

Frame
Height from ground 27.5”

Tire
Height 36.2” Military (9.00X16)

Ground Clearance
15.75” (1 foot 3 3/4")!!!

Tongue
Length 50”

Weight empty (8/07)
1,890 lbs:yikes:

Louie

alia176

Explorer
Holy heavy weight bat man, my 80 won't be able to pull that very happily while empty, let alone fully loaded. Thanks for the info.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I was shocked when I got the slip that read 1,890 lbs! "I said there is no way that trailer is that much." So I got my truck on the scale and it was 8,970 lbs with the camper, empty, no water in tank and only 4 gal of diesel in the fuel tank. About right on the truck but I still question the trailer at 1,890??

Can anyone confirm if this sounds about right?? From what I have read the Tool trailer body is on a M101 series trailers and use a M37 5-lug wheels.

Louie

EDIT:
Did some searching....

Gross weight on the wheels is 2640 cross country, 3360 highway.

Empty weight on the wheels is 1225 lbs.

I think this weight (1225 lbs) is for the M116 trailer dieselcruiserhead posted above(flat bed) So, add the tool trailer to that and I bet 1890 "might" be right??

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
Now how to get a Roof Top Tent up there????

I have an idea to mount the RTT to the center section (about 2' wide??) and have it on a track that could slide from left to right. That way I will be able to open the side lift doors.

When camping the RTT would be to one side and I could open the other side.
When loading up the trailer I could slide the RTT from side to side.
When driving, the RTT would ride in the middle.

Anyone have an idea were to find a metal track or interlocking metal that would allow the tent frame I will build to slide?

The other idea was to have the RTT flip forward on a hinge to access to side doors of the trailer.

Louie

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
time for the RTT

Here is the idea and mock up for the roof top tent on M 116a2 tool trailer. With the way the doors flip up on the side, its not going to be easy.

The idea is to mount two C channels that run from side to side on the top of the trailer. The trailer top is only 2’ wide before it curves down, so that’s all I have for mounting space. The roof top tent will have a frame built under it. The RTT frame would slide into the C channel and lock into place with lock pins. The RTT would be able to slide to both sides making it possible to open either flip up door. The RTT would travel in the center and slide to one side to be opened up and folded out. With the RTT slid to one side, this will give me accesses to one of the flip up doors while camping.

The only problem I see is that the base of the RTT will only have 2’ of support on the trailer roof and the last 20” of the RTT, when in the camping position, will hang out unsupported. I am hoping that the C channel and RTT fame I build will be strong enough to hold it. If not I could make a flip down support leg that would go from the tent frame to the fender.

Ideas…thoughts??

The only other idea was to have the RTT flip forward on a hinge until it is perpendicular to the front of the trailer. The RTT would have to flip completely perpendicular to clear the side doors on the trailer. The trailer sits pretty high off the ground, so the RTT would be 9-10 feet high when flipped up to gain access to the side doors of the trailer.

Looks like it should work and the pictures I mocked up should show you how it will work.

View attachment 9847

View attachment 9848
Tent%20PS%20mock%20up.jpg

Trailer%20tent%20mock%20up%20023.jpg

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
What is driving the Channel steel choice? With careful choice square or rectangular tube can be stronger and lighter.

Some of the links I posted above carry linear bearings. Not the least spendy option, but does merit serious consideration.
If you mounted 4 of the bearings to the trailer top the RTT could possibly use the shaft & mounts for it's supporting under-structure as well as for the lateral sliding feature. The bearings would want to be as far apart is possible, and that may present a total travel limitation. I would look at the Thompson Frelon lined bearings or similar as they will be the most dust & dirt tolerant.

With linear bearings up there you could go wild-n-crazy and use an air cylinder to shift the RTT. :)

FWIW if you do decide to build a support I suggest that it key into the trailer rather than the ground. Further, if it can be designed with no loose parts then parts can't get lost. My mind's eye is picturing a brace mounted to the bottom of the RTT with a piano hinge running across the width of the trailer. Once the RTT is shifted to it's camping position the brace hinges down (and possibly extends) to meet some part of the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online