Ends of the Earth Expedition: Central America

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Great Article

Back in my caving days, I dreamed of a trip to Guatemala, home of some of the world's finest caves. The idea of a subterranean drain and refill actually makes a lot of sense.

Sooo, what color of blue was the lake and when do we get the ICC calibrated photo.

... too much fun, and you ain't even been arrested yet.

Willman

Looks like you guys are having a blast!

Thanks for the video!!!! Pick them coming!

:smiley_drive:

Willman

Scott....you got me thinking....

That video is like how Les Stroud does his....That would be sweet if discovery channel picked ya up!

"Vehicle-Dependent Survival Travel"

:elkgrin:

Scott Brady

Founder
Holmul

We are just now out of the jungle, and back to Flores. It took us three days in the jungle to drive 50kms. Incredible track with deep mud, encroaching jungle and untouched Maya sites. Waking to a chorus of howler monkeys while camping in the plaza of Holmul is in the top 5 experiences of my life.

On to Honduras...
holmul_jungle_track.jpg

Holmul- Only way to get here is via a serious jungle track
holmul_pyramid.jpg

holmul_stephanie.jpg

XXXpedition

Explorer
i wanna go so bad...
and i'm sitting here in my office and it's cold outside :-(

way to go scott.
keep the pics coming :victory:

haven

Expedition Leader
Howler monkeys are supposed to be the loudest land mammal. Howlers are the largest monkey in the Americas, with a body that's 3 feet long and 20 lbs in weight. That's pretty large for an animal that lives up in the forest canopy.

Howler Monkeys live in troops of 5 to 20 animals. The calling at dawn is thought to establish territory for the day, and to discourage conflict with other troops. A troop with a large, powerful sound can intimidate a smaller group into leaving a food source (like a fig tree with ripe fruit) without any physical confrontation.

This web page has a group of photos of Black Howlers found in Central America

http://www.arkive.org/guatemalan-black-howler/alouatta-pigra/

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Wow! Great photos. I wish it was warm and green here.

How are the rigs holding up? Seems like it's been a good run so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle