Equipt's Land Cruiser 100 Series

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Tembo Tusk LoadSpotter Cabinet

As I noted a while back, I've had a couple issues with the drop down fridge slide that I have been using. So, we're moving on. Jerry at Tembo Tusk helped me get one of his LoadSpotter Slides with the Cutting Board Attachment. Jerry is a really great man to work with. Smart, eager to help, and know exactly how to build an incredibly robust fridge slide.
The trick of the matter is that this slide is 2" wider and 1-1/2" taller than the other slide. So, a new fridge enclosure was necessary. The next trick is that the height requirement of the slide is at the upper limit of the space I have to use in the back of the truck.

Instead of a complete wood cabinet, I made one with 1/8" aluminum plate top and bottom to gain the clearance I needed. Also, to maintain as narrow a cabinet as I could I went with 5/8" ply. This would let me open the slide, and be able to pull out the right hand drawer with an 1/8" to spare.

Fridge-3.jpgFridge-5.jpgFridge-6.jpg

I drilled and countersunk the aluminum plates to keep the surface smooth, and notched the corner to fit the arc of the rear entry. The cabinet turned out to be lighter than the original in spite of the fact it was larger. A bit of paint and a layer of heavy duty speaker felt, and we are ready to install.

Fridge-8.jpgFridge-9.jpg

Cheers,

Equipt

Tembo Tusk LoadSpotter

The Tembo Tusk LoadSpotter is a work of art. Everything about it over built. The Accuride slides are rated at 500 lbs for the fridge and 150 for the cutting board. 12 and 14 gauge steel throughout. The handles and mechanisms are high quality and substantial. It operates effectively, and there isn't a rattle to be found. It is the most robust piece of equipment in the truck by far.

IMG_4408.jpgIMG_4409.jpgIMG_4410.jpg

The tray lower just shy of 12 inches. The top handle moves out of the way for easy access to the fridge. The Cutting Board slides out for additional counter space, whether the fridge is in or out of the truck. Very handy. The Buffalo Straps hold the fridge in place very well. They are beefy enough to do the job right, with heavy webbing and metal buckles.

IMG_4413.jpgIMG_4416.jpgIMG_4418.jpg

I am really happy with the way this turned out. The new slide is as good as could be built, and will last as long as the truck will. Maybe longer. I like Tembo Tusk and Jerry so much, we now offer his line at Equipt.

Cheers,

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Looks good, Paul! Did you ever consider going with the storage configuration Ben has - flat Fridge slide and stacked drawers?

Equipt

Thanks David. Yes I did think of that configuration. My decision came down to the fact that I really like the look of the flat surface to the sides of the vehicle, and that I have a long flat area along the passenger side that I can haul longer items or sleep on if the necessary. The front seat moves forward enough to provide a 6-1/2' long sleeping area. The covered panels to each side provide a great deal of storage out of site too. It has a real finished look that appeals to me.

I really like how Ben's truck is laid out. It works perfectly for him and Beverly. I know they enjoy the organization they have. It's all personal preference. I don't think there are wrong answers to this question.

Cheers,

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Paul, great truck, dozens of good ideas for the rest of us.

One thing I'm curious about is how you are retaining the drawer units and the cabinets of the clam shell storage units so that they don't shift or worse become careening cargo in an accident?

Jim

mph

Expedition Leader
Paul,
What are your long-term plans for the truck? I mean...it looks like you have a very nice setup. Do you just plan to drive it until it dies? Or, do you see yourself moving to another rig? Another LC? Thanks! Mike

Equipt

Paul, great truck, dozens of good ideas for the rest of us.

One thing I'm curious about is how you are retaining the drawer units and the cabinets of the clam shell storage units so that they don't shift or worse become careening cargo in an accident?

Jim

Jim, that is a good question. And one I took a lot of calculation and effort to address. Secure gear in a vehicle is a serious safety point. I have endured a rolling vehicle before. Everything in the vehicle that is loose becomes a weapon. That is big reason why I have the drawers in the first places. I can secure recovery gear, spares, tools, fluids, pantry, medical, solar, etc all in a place that will not allow it to stray in an accident. Fewer weapons.

As for the drawer set and clam shells themselves, I have utilized the threaded mounting points that Toyota uses to fasten the seats into the vehicle. In the cargo area, there are 4 very sizable mounting locations. I don't remember the specific size bolt, but I believe it was around a 12mm bolt. I used grade 8 bolts with 2" heavy wall fender washers to secure the back drawer set to the vehicle. The clam shells are secured in 2 similar locations that the second row hinges from. I removed the Toyota OEM seat towers and went to the threaded points in the chassis. The clam shells are also secured horizontally to the drawer set through the rear of the clam shell with 1/4" bolts, fenders and T Nuts. I don't believe anything will shift, move or disengage in an accident.

I will admit that I do need to work on a solution for the gear stored on top of the drawer set. We store the kitchen kit, bedding, and clothing on there. Those items are loose and need to be addressed.

Thanks,

Equipt

Paul,
What are your long-term plans for the truck? I mean...it looks like you have a very nice setup. Do you just plan to drive it until it dies? Or, do you see yourself moving to another rig? Another LC? Thanks! Mike

I have been chewing on this question a great deal. I have been looking at other platforms for a while now, and I simply haven't found one that I don't feel like I am taking a step back in. Perhaps a newer 100, or I have grown quite fond of the 76 Series Wagon. Now that is a very cool truck. A slight issue of legality on that one. I have finally gotten this truck to where I want it. It's running great, and still very strong. I think I will run this one out for a while and keep my eyes open for opportunities.

Cheers,

Ash

Adventurer
Nice write up Paul, and one very very put together rig. I'm pretty sure the 100 will be my next move when I am relocated again.
Has Ben's 80 ever left you wanting in terms of trail performance?

Equipt

Thanks Ash. I am solid axle guy too. I have an FJ40 all worked up for Moab, and fully appreciate and love the articulation available. A great deal of my buddies in the local Cruiser club are 80 owners, and I am absolutely amazed at what they can do. But I have to say that the 100 does a pretty darn good job wheeling too. I lift the front on occasion, but with the L shocks on the back, factory rear and center locks, and the ARB front, I really haven't found much I can't do in the 100. Is the 80 a better rock crawler? Sure, no doubt there. But the crawling aspect is so low a percentage of what I use the vehicle for I am happy to trade that for the power increase, more room, and a smoother ride at 60 mph on washboard. No, I am just fine with the 100's capability.

Cheers,

GaFJC

Paul,

I would be curious as to what your overall service issues have been like on your 100? Exhaust manifolds, auto trans, etc. - all problems that we often hear about on this generation and the 4.7 l 2uz engine? Just curious as I have the exact same model/color/etc but without all of the cool mods or destinations under my belt!

GREAT RIG!

Last edited:

Matto

Observer
Hi Paul,

Just wanted to drop you a quick line to congratulate you on the build of your 'Cruiser. You've done a fantastic job, have thought about everything along the way, and hence have ended up with a car that seems to suit your every need. I've been meaning to build myself a set of drawers for a while - I think you may have just pushed me over the edge to pull my finger out and get started.

Also - having looked at those Tembo Tusk drop-slides on the Equip website, all I can say is "I want one"!!! Love the cutting board integrated into them.

Lately I've been considering upgrading to a cruiser myself - I've always preferred the 100-series, but the 80s are much more affordable over here. That said, I've got my eye on a solid-axle diesel 105-series (don't think you ever got them over in the States?) that's been chopped. http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=10569936 - me thinks there's potential there! Looking at your excellent build has done nothing to dampen my enthusiasm.

Again, congratulations on building such a comprehensively-outfitted truck. May it bring you many miles of enjoyment!

Thanks for sharing,
Matto :)

Last edited:

jonharis

Paul
You are going to love the LoadSpotter long term. I've had mine for about 4 months now. Jerry has been great at answering any of my questions and the product is very solid. I'm wondering if you would be interested in producing the enclosurers? I am running in to the same issues you described. When I need to drop my fridge I have o remove at least 2 bags before I can drop the fridge. I'm interested in an enclosure but don't know that I have the time to make one myself.

Romer

Adventurer
Paul, thanks for the write-up. I like the modular units installed in the 2nd row. Cool shower setup

Equipt

Paul,

I would be curious as to what your overall service issues have been like on your 100? Exhaust manifolds, auto trans, etc. - all problems that we often hear about on this generation and the 4.7 l 2uz engine? Just curious as I have the exact same model/color/etc but with all of the cool mods or destinations under my belt!

GREAT RIG!

Thanks for the compliment. I am glad you brought up this point. It is something that I have wanted to mention. There seems to be an imbalance in the information we receive, with just about everything. The negatives receive 100 fold what the positives do. Whether it's a kids toy, a mobile phone, a truck, or our military. There could be millions of perfectly fine applications and we here about the few that broke.

You rarely hear about the Defender owner that says "Hey, 100K miles and no problems". I am sure they exist. (Not many, mind you. JK) We only here of the failures, repair, faults. I believe that is the same with the 100 Series. I honestly haven't experienced any of the concerns that are brought up. And I also think that there are a lot of 100 Series owners who haven't either. Please don't take this wrong. I think it is important to be informed of the possibilities, and I appreciate folks making us aware of them. Just keep in mind that the issues of a few should not dictate the actions of many. Stepping down from soap box now.

As I have noted before, I am currently at just over 230K miles. 170K of that is mine in the last 9 years or so. I have been thinking back over that timeframe, and only have a handful of things that I would say are maintenance items. (I have a separate list of operator induced issues too. Perhaps a separate post) At around 170K, the bendix on the starter went out. We replaced the whole starter, due to timeframe for reaching the starter. Labor outweighed the part. Starting at around 180K, I started having the original individual ignition coils fail. I replace 1 about every 15K miles as they each go out. They're about $100 a pop, so replace as necessary. I've replaced 4 of the originals. I am on my second timing belt replacement. I've had a few issues with rear brakes. I believe that might be attributed to the various crud I drive through. I replaced the muffler only in the exhaust about 10K ago. Magnaflow. Love it. Several ball joints have bit the dust. Imagine that. The lucky thing is that you can't buy the ball joint separately. You have the opportunity to replace the entire control arm.

I've had no issues with manifolds, transmissions, cooling, electrical, amenities, etc. You hear of the 2 pinion front issue. I blew up the front end, but not the pinion. I took a swath of teeth off the ring gear. This was at the '08 Expedition Trophy during a sand self extraction competition, after pulling on 4 trucks in a sand/strap competion, and jumping the truck in the rally course. Had it coming I guess. I haven't needed spacers on the rims for bigger tires. Nice, but not really necessary. I align it a couple times a year too. Terrain issues, I believe. If there is something I've missed that is a concern, let me know. I'll reply with my experience.

I would say overall, that the maintenance I have done to the truck other than Lube/Oil/Filters is bare minimum. I need to knock on a lot of wood, now that I have said that. Jinxed myself there. I'd prep the truck in your own way, and get out there. It'll get you home.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior