Equipt's Land Cruiser 100 Series

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hi Paul,

Just wanted to drop you a quick line to congratulate you on the build of your 'Cruiser. You've done a fantastic job, have thought about everything along the way, and hence have ended up with a car that seems to suit your every need. I've been meaning to build myself a set of drawers for a while - I think you may have just pushed me over the edge to pull my finger out and get started.

Also - having looked at those Tembo Tusk drop-slides on the Equip website, all I can say is "I want one"!!! Love the cutting board integrated into them.

Lately I've been considering upgrading to a cruiser myself - I've always preferred the 100-series, but the 80s are much more affordable over here. That said, I've got my eye on a solid-axle diesel 105-series (don't think you ever got them over in the States?) that's been chopped. http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=10569936 - me thinks there's potential there! Looking at your excellent build has done nothing to dampen my enthusiasm.

Again, congratulations on building such a comprehensively-outfitted truck. May it bring you many miles of enjoyment!

Thanks for sharing,
Matto :)

Thanks for the kind words Matto. Much appreciated. You are right, no 105s over here. If they did, I would have one. An SA 100 with diesel, that's just crazy talk! We can make those things happen, but the price tag is huge. Better to go OEM on those if you can. You should get that truck. Very nice.

Cheers,

Equipt

Paul
You are going to love the LoadSpotter long term. I've had mine for about 4 months now. Jerry has been great at answering any of my questions and the product is very solid. I'm wondering if you would be interested in producing the enclosurers? I am running in to the same issues you described. When I need to drop my fridge I have o remove at least 2 bags before I can drop the fridge. I'm interested in an enclosure but don't know that I have the time to make one myself.

Hi Jon. I have no doubt the LoadSpotter will do me right. Jerry is a great guy to work with. I didn't really have the time for this enclosure myself. Sending you one would cost more than the materials. I would be happy to send you the specs and cut sheet. Email me, and I will send it over. It would be a Saturday afternoon project. Cheaper than therapy!

Cheers,

GaFJC

This is great to hear. You are certainly a subject matter expert considering the use your 100 series has seen.

Still remember the first time I saw your 100; in ads in the first few pages of Overland Journal for many issues. Those images have never left my brain!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks very much for showing us your truck and answering all questions Paul. As I've told you before, you/Equipt are first rate!!

Also very exciting to hear Equipt is offering TemboTusk products now. Jerry is another with impeccable service--and that goes for not having even purchased product from him, just theorizing about different custom fridge slides to suit my G-Wagen project.

Keep up the great work, our community is so lucky to have you guys.

Best,
Jeremy

Equipt

Thanks Guys, for the very kind words. I am proud to be a part of this community. We do our best to treat people as they should be. Fair, honest, and with respect.

Cheers,

Equipt

Front Runner Wind Cheetah Slimline Roof Rack

Front Runner Wind Cheetah Slimline Roof Rack

I thought I would share the latest configuration on the roof rack. I was documenting some new products when I realized I hadn't said much about this on the thread. So here we go.

100-Series-Roof-Rack.jpg

This is the Front Runner Wind Cheetah Slimline Roof Rack System for the Land Cruiser 100 Series. There's a lot I like about this rack. It's very light, as under 70 pounds. It is very strong. I've had 8 guys standing on it before. It's very streamlined, at 2" tall. But what I like about it the most is that it is extremely versatile.

The floor of the rack is a series of "T" slot extrusions that hold 8mm hex headed bolts. So you can add, move and remove just about anything you like to it. The set up in the photo is my event set up. It shows a great deal of what is possible. Here's what is on there.

Eezi-Awn Series 2000 2.5M awning
Front Runner Accessories
- Stainless Steel Table, mounted underneath
- Dual Can Holder
- Single Can Holder
- Bike Mount
- Shovel Mount
- Axe Mount
- Hi Lift Mount
Alu-Box Pro Case, storing a Eezi-Awn Rec Vee Panel Set for the Awning

The Hi Lift mount is designed for use on the side of the rack. I made a couple simple flat plates to span several slats, the mounted the Hi Lift mount to them. Quickly turning it in to a rack top alternative.

I can have all of these items off and a roof top tent mounted back on in about a half hour.

Cheers,

thecriscokid

Explorer
Paul,
I was just looking through OJ Gear 2008 with your older drawer set up. It looks like it was sans roller slides. Is that right? I have been building my 80 series and have considered having slides on one side and the other side completely removable as a kitchen without any kind of drawer slide.
I guess my real question is why did you change? just smother operation or did the previous bounce around and make noise?
Thanks,
Eric

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Let me be the first to throw out the proverbial "Nice rack" Paul. :drool:
What configuration do you have when you take your RTT and also want the Hi-Lift, water/fuel, alu-box, etc?

Equipt

Paul,
I was just looking through OJ Gear 2008 with your older drawer set up. It looks like it was sans roller slides. Is that right? I have been building my 80 series and have considered having slides on one side and the other side completely removable as a kitchen without any kind of drawer slide.
I guess my real question is why did you change? just smother operation or did the previous bounce around and make noise?
Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

You are correct. The first drawer set did not have slides. It was a set that I put together pretty quickly from left over plywood from another project and about $40 in carpet and hardware from Home Depot. It was supposed to only be a prototype build, and it lasted over 4 years. It's now in a buddy's 100 doing just fine.

I didn't use slides because of the cost the first time around. And I have to be honest, it worked just fine. The weight in the drawer held it in place, and the handle on the drawer was very close to the tailgate so it didn't have room to move anyway. No noise at all.

The reason for the change is that it's an upgrade. A bit classier, and it's not as hard to get in and out all the time. I really like the slides now that I have them.

cheers,

Equipt

Let me be the first to throw out the proverbial "Nice rack" Paul. :drool:
What configuration do you have when you take your RTT and also want the Hi-Lift, water/fuel, alu-box, etc?

Well, as I said it's my exhibit set up. Mostly for display purposes, to show the versatility and options that are possible. I have 72 gallons of fuel on board so those cans haven't seen a drop. I have a 10 gallon on board hot water system and a 5 gallon Jerry with spout inside too. Water can never used. I carry a Gerber axe in the truck. That size Alu-Box stays home, and I put another size Alu-Box in front of my RTT on the rack. Shovel gets lashed to the spare behind the Trasharoo, and the Hi Lift stays home.

The long distance rack set up carries an Eezi-Awn Series 3 1600, and a combination of either an Alu-Box, our inflatable 2 man sea kayak, a 10 gallon water tank, or space for a couple bundles of fire wood. Here's that scenario with the sea kayak in Baja earlier this year.

IMG_3785.jpg

Cheers,

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Hey, I think you flew by me on I-15 outside of Fillmore yesterday. I was trying to get a good look at your truck (pulling a Chaser?) but as you were in a V8 cruiser and I was in my (geared for 35s but running worn 33s) BJ74, I didn't see you for long :D
What I saw of it looked great - sweet set up!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Paul, can you show where the Front Runner aux 45gal fuel tank resides...and is it hooked up to the main fuel tank or do you just siphon from the aux tank if/when needed?

Equipt

Hey, I think you flew by me on I-15 outside of Fillmore yesterday. I was trying to get a good look at your truck (pulling a Chaser?) but as you were in a V8 cruiser and I was in my (geared for 35s but running worn 33s) BJ74, I didn't see you for long :D
What I saw of it looked great - sweet set up!

Hey Norm,

Yep, that was me. Thanks for the kind words. I waved as I went by. You have a great looking truck too. I figured out it was a 70 Series about a mile back. They have a unique look to them even at a distance. I was on my way to LA. Got in last night. I am down here for the Off Road Expo in Pomona Ca for the weekend. I got up early with Mario from AT for some live TV spots on a local station, the spent the day prepping the rig for the show. I'll take a photo or two and put them up.

Safe travels,

Equipt

Paul, can you show where the Front Runner aux 45gal fuel tank resides...and is it hooked up to the main fuel tank or do you just siphon from the aux tank if/when needed?

Howdy,

The aux tank resides where the spare tire was. It fills that entire cavity, and actually sites higher than the spare did. I am on my second tank. The first one lost some volume after a few years on landing on rocks on it. So it probably went from 170 liter to around 165 liter. I had one new tank that I had sitting here for several years. Front Runner notified us that they would no longer be making the long range tanks for the 100, so I decided to use the last one available for myself.

It is a pump feed tank that draws fuel off the bottom through an external fuel pump and it pours the fuel in the top of the split neck toward the main tank. That way if you leave the pump on after the main tank fills up, the fuel back up the main filler line and pours back into the aux tank.

I am away from me photos for the weekend. When I get back to my main computer, I will upload a couple photos.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior