ETAV8R's 09 Tacoma Build-The Gini

4RunAmok

Explorer
As Jack from 4wdTrip.net always says... There's white trucks, and not the right color trucks!

From a desert campers point of view.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
LOL well when I bought it I wasn't as into camping/exploring as I am now. Live and learn. My old taco was white and the truck before that was gray. I'm pretty sure what the next color will be.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
So after a year of owning the Flippac I finally decided to do an interior build. I have seen Tacodocs in person and have studied Wasurfs pics too. My goal was to do my interior build mostly on the drivers side of the Tacoma and leave the full length of the bed open on one side in case I had to put something long in the bed of the truck.

The frame consists of 2x3s with 4" and 3" deck/wood screws to hold it all together. These screws are mostly countersunk and done with pilot holes drilled.

Most of the construction credit goes to my girlfriends father. I ended up helping him rather than the other way around. It is pretty much what he does for a living. Talk about having all the right tools. However it was a bit rushed as we are heading to Utah for five days soon. As a cost saving measure we utilized my old sleeping platform and luckily there was enough board to cover all the spaces necessary. Again this strayed from my original goal to copy Wasurf's design with birch plywood.

Since the carpet covered plywood was once used as a sleeping platform it was slightly bowed in places. It isn't that great of a defect to have caused a purchase for more plywood. This is where the small hasps come into play. These hold the edges of the top on the side piece from bowing upwards.

I have already loaded up the side area with what is usually in the back of my truck in one way or another. While loading up the back tonight after arriving home I took one of my yellow topped storage containers and tried it out on the passenger side near the cab. Now the fit is not perfect, it is pretty damn close and I'm happy with that. Prior to building this storage box I had 2-3 of these storage totes in the back of the truck.

My alternate want for building out the back was to provide a step/sleeping platform. Sometimes on trips I will have a 3rd person and don't want to make them sleep in a tent on the ground. The platform on the drivers side is wide enough to rack out. This will also be used in case of inclement weather. One person can sleep on the platform and the other in the space on the passenger side with the top closed. Obviously I don't have a rainfly yet.

After doing drawings and measurements with some cuts of wood coming up short I decided to do Excel diagrams to help facilitate the build. Sorry about the pics of the frame in the shade. Not my ideal documentation of the process.

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Gravity, the stuff inside and what will be piled on top of it. Think it will shift? I have been known to break eggs and beer bottles from bumps in the desert.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Eric,
>>>In unanimus agreement w/ TacoDoc, it's gonna shift.

It could be as simple as drilling a couple holes from the top of the inside fiberglass overhang all the way through the bench frame ( one at each end ).
Then feed a couple long bolts through the holes and secure with lock nuts and washers.

You could also put an eye bolt through the rear face of the bench and secure it to the rear D-ring via a turn buckle. I'd suggest balancing that out with an added eye bolt/D-ring/turn buckle at the front of the bed if going that route.

Just some suggestions if you even have the time.:sombrero:
IIRC you're headed on a road trip soon?

trump

Adventurist
You could also put an eye bolt through the rear face of the bench and secure it to the rear D-ring via a turn buckle. I'd suggest balancing that out with an added eye bolt/D-ring/turn buckle at the front of the bed if going that route.

Another vote for securing it. FWIW I will be using this method when I get to this point.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.

Just some suggestions if you even have the time.:sombrero:
IIRC you're headed on a road trip soon?
This is the method you used. I had planned to do the same but for the life of me could not remember the terminology for the "turn buckle" when I was at the hardware store. They sell them there right?

Yes the trip is imminent! In less than 48hrs we will be in Utah! Several fun filled days at possibly 4 National Parks depending on the mood. One for sure-Canyonlands. The back of the Gini is gonna be filled to the brim. I'll get that turn-buckle done when we get back. Death Valley :Astrologist: is happenin in two weeks and thats where I tend to break stuff in the back...cough eggs...cough beer bottles....:safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan