ETAV8R's 09 Tacoma Build-The Gini

Clutch

<---Pass
gotta keep the chinese flippac clones from posting your pics on ebay...

but I agree...great color

Ha ha funny....since just about everyone that owns a flip-pac throws a picture up on the net...kinda makes the watermark moot...

I sorta like Pyrite Mica as well for stealthyness, my mum just bought a brand new Rav4 in that color...however I go
back and forth...it might be too "military looking" for me to actually own a Taco in that color.

truckwithlift006r.jpg

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I have a copy of AT's picture from way back before they added the watermark. Since hindsight is 20/20 the dark grey is actually not the best color choice for the types of places I go. Yes it is low observable but gets scratches quite a bit. White or silver are much better choices IMO.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a copy of AT's picture from way back before they added the watermark. Since hindsight is 20/20 the dark grey is actually not the best color choice for the types of places I go. Yes it is low observable but gets scratches quite a bit. White or silver are much better choices IMO.

I tend to run to the mountains quite bit. (Probably because I am so sick of the desert from living it for 20 years.) I like how my Imperial Jade Mica...disappears in the trees...and in town too. Where white sticks out too much for my taste.

I dunno, I can usually get the pinstripping off with a little elbow grease.

We have a white Trooper (would of liked grey)...and bright orange VW Westy as well (and that one in Dove Blue)....White and Orange is a wee too much for me. Bought those since the price was right, certainly wasn't for color choice.

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I made a poor mans hi-lift mount:
20121021-IMG_8099.jpg

20121106-IMG_8126.jpg

Link to my mount build:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/247696-poor-mans-hi-lift-mount.html#post5957969

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Nice job on this. I did the same thing this last weekend... tho my old farm jack isn't nearly as nice looking as the ones I see on the site here, wood handle and all! But grandpa used it on the farm for years and it never broke, and I can still get parts for it. All cast as well. Made to last.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Have you done any offroading with those AT2s yet? Are they E load-rated - I'm curious how they do as the sidewall protection looks tame compared to some of the other ATs on the market these days. I have Duratracs but they're C load-rated which are awesome on washboards but even with big lugs on the sidewalls I still managed to put a hairline cut on it on the recent trip to DV.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Have you done any offroading with those AT2s yet? Are they E load-rated - I'm curious how they do as the sidewall protection looks tame compared to some of the other ATs on the market these days. I have Duratracs but they're C load-rated which are awesome on washboards but even with big lugs on the sidewalls I still managed to put a hairline cut on it on the recent trip to DV.

LOL sorry but the majority of my off road travels have been done with these tires.
More DV trips than I can think of. Panamints. Inyos. Sierras. Utah. Colorado-most of the major passes in the San Juans. Take a look at some of my trip reports. I will probably try another tire in the future but I am very happy with these for the time being.
Heck I love these tires even though I got a sidewall puncture or tear up in the Inyos. It was on black rock that felt like sandpaper and was very sharp. Today I got another flat. This is with my second set but this one was a puncture through the tread on a road I have traveled many times in DV. The other vehicle with me traveled the same area with road tires that had barely any tread and had no issues. There is always a rock somewhere that will get any tire. No rhyme or reason.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Cool, thanks for the info. I didn't know about the prior experience as I saw that you'd recently gotten the tires (two pages back I think) but didn't see any updates since.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Oh. This is a second set in a different size. They have taken me to many places. I think I should have aired down this past trip to Saline. Might have given the rock less resistance and therefore no puncture. No way of really knowing though.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Well last week I got my new suspension installed. The gain is great for the present time.
Very happy to finally have some new suspension. I ordered through TRDParts4U. The following are the results:

Whats up front:
885X and 90000 NitroCharger Sport front struts
Driver side increased by 2" and passenger by 2.5"

What's in back:
Dakars and 60091 Nitrocharger Sport rear shocks
Rear height increased by 3.5"
This is significant but relates to how much the TSB Leafs and Bilsteins had given way to the loads I have carried during off-road exploration. They were shot! The drivers side rear shock was blown and the plastic shroud was melted.

I also measured from the center of the outer tube of my sliders.
Drivers side got 2.25 and passenger gained 3. I still have the taco lean but I also have the drivers side of the bed loaded more than the passenger side.

Before and after shots:

There is still more in the works. Next week should bring something special.

keezer37

Explorer
Nice. The Tacoma model I wish I would have gotten. Are your Dakars with the additional leafs in the back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998