Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

Monterorider

Adventurer
Eurosonic just think about. You have rear locker. No 4.9 R&P Sport does. I doubt you want to get rid of such useful implement. Some Sports do come with Hybrid LSD but it's still just not as usefull as true locker. Anyway your locker is part of the differential (one big gear sits on). If you want to keep it you have 2 options:
1). Swap differential over into Sport carrier. This makes it easier to set gears avoids setting pinion depth but you have to drill/tap for vacuum tube and locker engagement sensor. Then just set the backlash which is pretty easy.
2). Swap ring and pinion over to your carrier and deal with setting correct pinion depth and mesh pattern. Sometimes that's impossible with used gears but it might be good enough.

Upfront like I said it might work but brackets on Sport and Gen 3 are different from Gen 2.

Your best bet is to get somebody in Russia or wherever send you diff carriers from 2.8 TD Gen 2 Pajero. They came with 4.9s and rear locker. Those will indeed be direct drop-in.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
If I get the entire parts caр I mights as well stick with option #1

Everyone talks about 4.9 swap all over internet, has any done done this swap here??

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'll be digging through the wire on this. It doesn't seem as active as this site, hopefully older posts will clear things up.
Hmmm, on any given day there are ~5-10 active threads on the wire. On the portal it seems only 5/day. (counted by checking the dates on the posts as shown on both forum pages).
As for today's count the 'Wire has 5 active posts. The ExPo has 3.

I will say it seems more gen 2.5 rigs being built here than on the wire although the AZ forum has some really nice ones that are built (see Adam).
Just sayin...:ylsmoke:

How about Carlos, Justice and Adam to name a few.
They've certainly been here but are not on here frequently.

Last edited:

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Since the wire has been brought up I do much rather prefer this style of forum than the way the Wire is set up...Although the Wire does have more info a lot of times.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Since the wire has been brought up I do much rather prefer this style of forum than the way the Wire is set up...Although the Wire does have more info a lot of times.

Click on the button that says THREAD. It will way easier to view. I still like this site better though.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Found a 2001 with 3.5 at the junk yard... Got nice and dirty digging under the truck but found no plate, or engraving saying that it had the 4.9 gears.....

well thats a bummer. There was no hint on what kind of diff at all??

How much did they want for it anyway?

well thats a bummer. There was no hint on what kind of diff at all??

How much did they want for it anyway?

Didn't ask, because I was super bummed that they already crushed the TWO gen 2s that they had on the lot!!! Found a 98 in a yard down the street though... not many parts left... but I'll be back down there if you need anything.

Edit: The diff/axle housing looked like our gen 2's housing. Where as the other montero sports had a round diff housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12