Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Didn't ask, because I was super bummed that they already crushed the TWO gen 2s that they had on the lot!!! Found a 98 in a yard down the street though... not many parts left... but I'll be back down there if you need anything.

Edit: The diff/axle housing looked like our gen 2's housing. Where as the other montero sports had a round diff housing.
You're looking at Montero sports right?

Doh! Day late.

Just called the yard $66 per axle for Just the ring and pinion gears. Can anyone confirm what else I'd need? I can follow instructions (I haven't actually looked yet), and I understand the complexity of doing a gearing change.... but don't know what additional parts would be needed.

Thoughts?

Look at the engine tag on the fire wall. It will tell you what R&P it has. No need to look under the rig. Just saying

It looks like this
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...dsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:24,i:196&tx=79&ty=92
This mitsu has 3:54 gears

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Doh! Day late.

Just called the yard $66 per axle for Just the ring and pinion gears. Can anyone confirm what else I'd need? I can follow instructions (I haven't actually looked yet), and I understand the complexity of doing a gearing change.... but don't know what additional parts would be needed.

Thoughts?
That's a screaming price!! 1st make sure it's the correct gear especially for the front diff. IIRC, the gen II is a high pinion and some of the sports are low pinion. If it is the right one and you elect not to buy it, please let me know (i.e. dibs LOL).

As for doing the swap yourself... have you installed a ring and pinion gear before? If so, then you know you'll need special tools to measure and adjust a few things to ensure the gears wear properly. If you don't, I'd suggest either having a good buddy who's done it before and has the right tools help you or have a qualified shop perform the swap. Unfortunately I can't give specifics since I've never done R&P gears before or even seen them done in person... although i'm sure YouTube will have some decent videos you can watch.

HTH.

Justice R

Adventurer
Keep any shims that are on either ends of the pinion gears and there will also be shim (s) on the side(s) of the bearings when you pop the front diff out of the Case. You may need these when setting them up in your diff.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ahem, re-read my post, please.
I read your post. You said you understand the complexity but you didn't say you've actually done the install nor did you indicate what tools you already you have so I noted the need for special tools. To be more specific, the tools required for measuring the backlash, etc.

Here's a thread on 4x4wire with pictures and a how to on installing a detroit locker which I imagine should be similar enough for the 4.9 ring gear swap. http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1182588&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Justice R

Adventurer
off-roader;1208623) Here's a thread on 4x4wire with pictures and a how to on installing a detroit locker which I imagine should be similar enough for the 4.9 ring gear swap. [URL said:
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1182588&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD[/URL]

Actually that's a thread on installing the Aussie locker not a Detriot. The Aussie locker is whats commonly refered to as a "lunch box" or drop in locker. It installs in the existing open carrier after removing the spider gears. Since the original carrier is used and the pinion gear is not removed, setting back lash is not required in this case, so that thread is really not the best example. A ring and pinion swap will require removing the old pinion gear from the housing and installing the new (used) gear into it basically starting you at ground zero, so collect an assortment of shims so you can add or remove as needed to get the correct pinion depth. The shims on the outboard sides of the carrier bearings is what will set your back lash and carrier bearing pre-load.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
The mechanic that I go to has worked at Mitsubishi dealer for close to 10 yrs. He finally opened up his own shop now, so hopefully he'll take care of me when I show up with a different set of R&Ps. He installed a used set of manual locking hubs on my montero, plus did a ton of other work.

Monterorider

Adventurer
...He installed a used set of manual locking hubs on my montero, plus did a ton of other work.
Seriously? That's not even remotely in the same league. That's job that can be done on the side of the road with basic tools. I put my ARB locker in parking lot. That took some time and messing at least a bit with R&P backlash but still not nearly as complex as achieving correct mesh pattern.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Seriously? That's not even remotely in the same league. That's job that can be done on the side of the road with basic tools. I put my ARB locker in parking lot. That took some time and messing at least a bit with R&P backlash but still not nearly as complex as achieving correct mesh pattern.

Well, I'm sure we will work something out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12