EV acceptance is peaking

ThundahBeagle

I mentioned that in the beginning but apparently people are nah nah nahing when they hear it.
Toyota has mentioned that a number of times. He said publicly what the other companies will not say.
Exactly.

Ford got out of the mid-size truck game in north America for a decade. Toyota stayed in. Totoya knew how to keep that segment. Chevy and Ford "let's get rid of our sedans in totality". Toyota still makes the Camry and Corolla.
And they make $ hand over fist. Just for that I'm inclined to follow them.

But then just looking around, even without Toyota influence, I know:

-that the infrastructure in CA is too old and heavy to sustain itself, never mind a sudden addition of millions of EV's.
-that is true in the Northeast as well
-two are one and one is none. If I have two fuels for my car, I'm more likely to keep going under a multitude of conditions
-all things in moderation cant be so if everyone jumps ship in one direction
Etc

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
That was definitely an issue with charger access in a region where most EV users didn’t have access to charging outside of a few public chargers. Ie old buildings, apartments etc. Cold weather paired with crap charging infrastructure. If you only had 1 gas station pump available for every 5000 cars the ICE cars would have been in the news also.

Load of crap, videos show multitudes of charging stations with multitudes of EV's unable to charge because frozen batteries don't accept a charge!

No video evidence of any ICE vehicles or fuel stations with the same problem.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Load of crap, videos show multitudes of charging stations with multitudes of EV's unable to charge because frozen batteries don't accept a charge!

No video evidence of any ICE vehicles or fuel stations with the same problem.

Which is also a load of crap, typical of most media coverage. EVs charge in cold weather it’s just painfully slow for the first 10-15 minutes while the energy is used to heat the battery so it can accept a full rate charge. Far from ideal but not what the media made it out to be. I have charged mine after it’s sat outside at -20°F all day and night.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
That was definitely an issue with charger access in a region where most EV users didn’t have access to charging outside of a few public chargers. Ie old buildings, apartments etc. Cold weather paired with crap charging infrastructure. If you only had 1 gas station pump available for every 5000 cars the ICE cars would have been in the news also.

Ford is loosing money on any product over 40k right now. COVID buyer hangover has hit all big ticket items.

You wouldn't happen to be related to Karine Jean-Pierre, or Maybe Taylor Swift or Travis Kelce, would you?

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Which is also a load of crap, typical of most media coverage. EVs charge in cold weather it’s just painfully slow for the first 10-15 minutes while the energy is used to heat the battery so it can accept a full rate charge. Far from ideal but not what the media made it out to be. I have charged mine after it’s sat outside at -20°F all day and night.

Video evidence from this year shows many different charging sites with many vehicles doing nothing, last video I saw had a flatbed tow truck taking a tesla to a garage where it was warmed up, charged and on it's way a few hours later, maybe your battery wasn't as drained as these were or maybe it was colder this time, but the proof of this event is online for all to see.

epyonxero

I mentioned that in the beginning but apparently people are nah nah nahing when they hear it.
Toyota has mentioned that a number of times. He said publicly what the other companies will not say.
He could be right but its in Toyotas best interest to say that because they havent been in the EV market.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
This wasn’t media hype- media wants EV to succeed, the situation was real it actually happened- and is a sticking point for potential customers.

crazysccrmd

Observer
This wasn’t media hype- media wants EV to succeed, the situation was real it actually happened- and is a sticking point for potential customers.

The media only cares about selling clicks on ads, any kind of hype works for them.

I’m not denying that there are cold weather issues with EVs but I am saying it isn’t the big deal made out to be. When an ICE vehicle runs out of gas does anyone blame the vehicle? No, you blame the moron driving. The same goes for when someone in an EV ignores the obvious and ends up stranding themselves because they don’t understand the basics of how the vehicle operates.

I’ve spent a lot of time in what most would consider extreme cold with an EV. They work, it’s not that hard, charging is slow while the battery warms but speeds up to normal speeds in due time. Not as simple as topping off gas but a known compromise with EVs that should take no one by surprise.

ThundahBeagle

While this is true, it only TAKES me 10 to 15 minutes to fuel my 5.3 and spin the hell down the road

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The media only cares about selling clicks on ads, any kind of hype works for them.

I’m not denying that there are cold weather issues with EVs but I am saying it isn’t the big deal made out to be. When an ICE vehicle runs out of gas does anyone blame the vehicle? No, you blame the moron driving. The same goes for when someone in an EV ignores the obvious and ends up stranding themselves because they don’t understand the basics of how the vehicle operates.

I’ve spent a lot of time in what most would consider extreme cold with an EV. They work, it’s not that hard, charging is slow while the battery warms but speeds up to normal speeds in due time. Not as simple as topping off gas but a known compromise with EVs that should take no one by surprise.
The problem is gas vehicles had zero problem accepting energy in that climate and clearly the electric vehicles did. I’m confident it’ll get solved in the long run.

Alloy

Video evidence from this year shows many different charging sites with many vehicles doing nothing, last video I saw had a flatbed tow truck taking a tesla to a garage where it was warmed up, charged and on it's way a few hours later, maybe your battery wasn't as drained as these were or maybe it was colder this time, but the proof of this event is online for all to see.

Sound similar to what happens when a 6.7 diesel runs out of fuel.

To be fair my buddy the Ford tech said they had a F150 hybrid towed in with 0% battery. Dealer had to rent a special $$$! charger from Ford. Took a day to get the charger and another 6 hours on the charger just to get it started.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Its an issue everywhere charging capacity is extremely limited. No different than ice cars stranded when gas pumps run dry or become scarce. Many regions in the US lack charging stations in a bad way. Especially the region that made front page US news.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sound similar to what happens when a 6.7 diesel runs out of fuel.

To be fair my buddy the Ford tech said they had a F150 hybrid towed in with 0% battery. Dealer had to rent a special $$$! charger from Ford. Took a day to get the charger and another 6 hours on the charger just to get it started.
Yep totally dead battery doesn’t need to be an EV could be your Dewalt battery drill too. Special charger for EV is a bit of a stretch but they likely needed Ford shop computer that ties to a charger to carefully bring the batteries back to life without damaging them. No different than hacking a charger solution to revive your dead Dewalt.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Its an issue everywhere charging capacity is extremely limited. No different than ice cars stranded when gas pumps run dry or become scarce. Many regions in the US lack charging stations in a bad way. Especially the region that made front page US news.

You keep blaming lack of chargers, not the case in this instance, chicago has plenty of EV chargers, this problem is simply that the cold kept the batteries from charging at a rate that the drivers could keep warm while waiting and in some instances the battery charge percentage was not going up even while plugged in, so some drivers had to abandon their vehicles just so they could get out of the cold.

This isn't like the 1970's when there wasn't enough gas to go around, this is a flaw that needs a fix and soon, but you can't admit that truth so you keep pushing your false narrative of not enough chargers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998