EV acceptance is peaking

jaxyaks

Adventurer
You compared the number of EVs in a single county, Cook county, to the number of charging stations (including mostly irrelevant, slow charging stations) in a 10+ county area in parts of 3 different states, and still pretend it's "relevant" to this discussion.

You also shared some that "Level 3" chargers are called "lightning chargers", which they aren't, and you presumably just made up.

You obviously realized the topic was "are there sufficient chargers in Chicago", and cared enough to google a couple things and reply, but it's clear you didn't care whether what you were saying was accurate or meaningful.
The topic of the thread is actually EV acceptance is peaking...but ...preach it brother...preach it....can I get an AMEN...

3laine

The topic of the thread is actually EV acceptance is peaking...

I said "discussion", not thread. The topic of the discussion was charging infrastructure in Chicago, which you apparently realized because you posted bad info/analysis about charging infrastructure in Chicago.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I said "discussion", not thread. The topic of the discussion was charging infrastructure in Chicago, which you apparently realized because you posted bad info/analysis about charging infrastructure in Chicago.
I think you were the one that determined that I was arguing...I mean...I posted the info I found that there were 3,000 give or take chargers in Chicago forgive me for not knowing the nuances of what is considered Chicago and what isn't. and that there were 25,000 EV's registered in Cook County. ...I mean..looking at that you might determine that is a lot of electric cars with not a ton of chargers. I kinda just rolled with it and played devils advocate since you seemed so determined to attack my little post...lol.....

The little tid bit I found about Chicagos ranking of electric chargers I actually found funny, because I really didn't think that was a lot of chargers especially for the number of vehicles... You were so passionate in your arguments and seemed to be enjoying yourself I just let it roll....But as for the thread title...I do agree that EV acceptance is peaking at the moment.

3laine

I guess “3laine” thinks what actually happened didn’t happen- and we are wrong for thinking of why what didn’t happen happened. Got it- all caught up now.

Impressive. This is exactly the opposite of my position.

We all know what the end result is of what happened. Cars died. Everyone agrees.

And while others have said "doesn't matter why" and you claim that *I* think you're "wrong for thinking of why", reality is the opposite. The entire point of my posts is that we should look into why this happened, because if the answer was simply "it was cold", then this would have happened at this level across much of the entire northern US.

So, excellent work. You've set a new bar for how much you can misrepresent my position. You've done it before, but this time, you've managed to claim my position is the exact opposite of my position.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Oops, you conveniently mis-quoted me.
As you did to me in a previous post!!
Nope. We don't have the exact details of the story for each car, so I'm giving an example of how insufficient charging infrastructure can delay charging, resulting in lower battery states of charge and colder battery temps, which greatly affect the charging experience.

Neither of us have exact data for how many chargers were available when each person arrived, how long people waited, what their battery temps were, whether they pre-conditioned their batteries in advance, etc.

We DO know, however, that these stations have a history of being insufficient even in good weather (with shorter charge times), and that wait times associated with insufficient infrastructure negatively impact the magnitude of cold-weather issues.

Let's see your proof of how many cars were there, and how many working chargers were available when each of the stranded cars *arrived*, and that none of them had to wait to charge.

That there were open chargers (which we can't tell if they're working or not even if they're open) whenever the camera crews showed up doesn't come close to proving that there were open, working chargers when the people arrived.

One guy says in the video that he's been there for 3 hours and was there for 8 hours the day before. No way we can tell from the video how many chargers were open (if any) when he arrived the day before, for instance.

Video clearly shows a different time than when the problem originally occurred, and even then, empty stalls don't mean working stations, necessarily.

I didn't claim that ALL the issues were the result of insufficient charging stations, just that the *magnitude* of the issues was increased by insufficient charging stations. The fact that this wasn't a widespread issue at this magnitude despite cold temps across the northern US is far more meaningful data than a couple videos by people who think Audi etrons are Teslas.

Fortunately, I didn't claim that.

My claim is that the charging stations in question have a history of being insufficient even in better weather, so it stands to reason that in worse weather, when charging is slower and cars have less range, the issue was similar or worse, leading to some people waiting, making the magnitude of the issues worse due to battery usage and cooling.
And so now you're making ASSumptions that it's the chargers fault this all happened?
Way to shift the blame, first it was the drivers faults, then it was "not enough chargers" and now it's "the chargers aren't working correctly".......

And the videos on the web have all the proof any body needs to show how many cars are shown abandoned in the charging stations, and I'm sure that was not all the charging stations with empty vehicles, plugged in or not, sitting in them.

Why do you think it's so vital that a news channel showed an audi and claimed it was a tesla?
I have never claimed this is a tesla problem, I have clearly said EV in my posts, you are the one obsessed with that angle.

And as have stated before, it doesn't matter why these vehicles were left the way they were, dead batteries are dead batteries and the result was people had to abandon them to seek warmth, that is a failure and a black mark on the EV industry, blame the driver or the chargers or whatever excuse you want, the end result is still the same, EV's in cold weather can and have left motorists stranded en mass even when chargers are available! Oh wait, I forgot, the chargers and lack thereof are to blame.....

3laine

Instead of talking about all the ways you're trying to move the goalposts to topics every agrees on, like "cars had to be towed"...

Let's hear from some of the people who had to tow their car away regarding the ACTUAL topic, which is your claim that there were "plenty of chargers."

A station with 20 Tesla Superchargers, off West Touhy Avenue in Skokie, was full almost all day on Monday, with drivers waiting nearby for spots to open up.

Some drivers dealing with the long lines said they were concerned about becoming stranded if their batteries ran out while they waited.

One Tesla driver said he was grateful just to find a station after he drained his car battery searching for an open spot.

“I saw my battery was getting low 20 to 25%. Went to the gas station there was a long line,” Tesla driver Wes France said.

France said he then drove to the station at the fashion outlet station in Rosemont, but it wasn’t in service.

“By that time my battery drained down to 5%, which is faster than normal,” France said.

France eventually had to load his car onto a tow truck to get it to a charger.

The chargers were overloaded with cars or broken, causing people to wait, causing their batteries to drain and get colder, causing even slower charging, and even longer lines/waits, and ultimately causing them ultimately to run out of charge and either be towed or unable to charge.

If only there was someone who was actually well-informed about EVs who could have guessed, 4 days ago, with extreme accuracy, the series of events that caused the magnitude of issues seen in Chicago.

Then we could have avoided all these hilariously incorrect takes, like:

You keep blaming lack of chargers, not the case in this instance, chicago has plenty of EV chargers

this wasn't a case where cars were unable to get to a charger

Plenty of chargers were shown in the news reports and youtube videos that I watched

You simply can't understand that there were chargers available

My original post, which explained what probably happened (and turned out to be correct), was a specific response to your claim that "Chicago has plenty of EV chargers."

There were not plenty of chargers, and the insufficient chargers substantially exacerbated the magnitude of issues experienced in Chicago, exactly as I claimed originally.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Instead of talking about all the ways you're trying to move the goalposts to topics every agrees on, like "cars had to be towed"...

Let's hear from some of the people who had to tow their car away regarding the ACTUAL topic, which is your claim that there were "plenty of chargers."

The chargers were overloaded with cars or broken, causing people to wait, causing their batteries to drain and get colder, causing even slower charging, and even longer lines/waits, and ultimately causing them ultimately to run out of charge and either be towed or unable to charge.

If only there was someone who was actually well-informed about EVs who could have guessed, 4 days ago, with extreme accuracy, the series of events that caused the magnitude of issues seen in Chicago.

My original post, which explained what probably happened (and turned out to be correct), was a specific response to your claim that "Chicago has plenty of EV chargers."

There were not plenty of chargers, and the insufficient chargers substantially exacerbated the magnitude of issues experienced in Chicago, exactly as I claimed originally.
Fox news fans struggle with reality 😆. My buddies subaru froze up at work in the parking lot during that cold snap. So did a few other coworkers cars. A couple of coworkers drove their EVs home just fine and gave them a ride.

Cold temps left a whole lot of people stranded in pretty much every mode of transportation except the end all mode called walking, even that ended badly for a few people.

Which is why the news were showing emergency staff telling people to stay home🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Fox news fans struggle with reality 😆. My buddies subaru froze up at work in the parking lot during that cold snap. So did a few other coworkers cars. A couple of coworkers drove their EVs home just fine and gave them a ride.

Cold temps left a whole lot of people stranded in pretty much every mode of transportation except the end all mode called walking, even that ended badly for a few people.

Which is why the news were showing emergency staff telling people to stay home🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Why make such a dumb remark? This has nothing to do with Fox News. EVs were a problem with cold weather for a myriad of reasons- which are legitimate reasons to say the infrastructure isn’t where it needs to be yet.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

That's hysterical, I moved the goal posts?

You have blamed the drivers, the chargers, the charging stations and "lack of chargers", even though as I have said repeatedly, the EV's in the videos were plugged in and still the batteries weren't charging, one video showed an EV on a flatbed towed to a shop where it was parked inside and warmed up, then took a charge and drove away, but your response to that was "that isn't a tesla, that isn't a tesla....." as if that had anything to do with anything.

And as I have said before my point was, is and always has been, these EV's were frozen and the ones plugged in were still not charging, a failure for them, but you just keep ranting about "I was right, not enough chargers" as if that was your swan song, well pat yourself on the back some more if it makes you feel better about yourself, I'm sure the people affected by their frozen EV's don't care anymore than I do!

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Why make such a dumb remark? This has nothing to do with Fox News. EVs were a problem with cold weather for a myriad of reasons- which are legitimate reasons to say the infrastructure isn’t where it needs to be yet.

C'mon plainjane, you've read posts from him before, his only comeback to people who don't think like him is "fox news", it's pathetic and hysterical at the same time.

3laine

That's hysterical, I moved the goal posts?

You have blamed the drivers, the chargers, the charging stations and "lack of chargers", even though as I have said repeatedly, the EV's in the videos were plugged in and still the batteries weren't charging, one video showed an EV on a flatbed towed to a shop where it was parked inside and warmed up, then took a charge and drove away, but your response to that was "that isn't a tesla, that isn't a tesla....." as if that had anything to do with anything.

And as I have said before my point was, is and always has been, these EV's were frozen and the ones plugged in were still not charging, a failure for them, but you just keep ranting about "I was right, not enough chargers" as if that was your swan song, well pat yourself on the back some more if it makes you feel better about yourself, I'm sure the people affected by their frozen EV's don't care anymore than I do!

Yikes, I laid out many of your erroneous claims about “plenty of chargers” right above here for all to see, and also showed proof from the articles/videos *that you cited* that a huge factor was not having enough chargers, and you’re still pretending that wasn’t your point. Wild.

We can literally just scroll up and read all the times that “plenty of chargers” was your point. You know that, right?

Oh, and all my supposed “moving of goalposts” was in my very first post on this topic. So, no moving goalposts. Same goalposts the whole time: Your claim that there were “plenty of chargers” is false, and it’s clear as day now.

And everyone agrees that some cars died and/or wouldn’t take a charge, and that it sucks for the drivers. Everyone agrees. So, you can stop pretending that you’re winning an argument that everyone agrees with. Our disagreement was on infrastructure.

From the very beginning, I quoted your claim that there were “plenty of chargers” and debunked it with an explanation of what probably happened to many of the cars, and it turned out to be exactly what happened.

Your claim is false. There aren’t enough chargers, and the lack of chargers substantially worsened the situation, just like I said from the very beginning.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wouldn’t even be a topic if the news skipped it, like all the other vehicles that failed during that storm. There weren’t news trucks at my buddies work covering how a bunch of them had cars that were left at work because they failed to start.

The only thing stupid is this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998