EV acceptance is peaking

It was, then it just got boring, I think I need to get over and see what new interesting vehicles you have posted lately!
EarhtCruiser started a thread yesterday about their Hummer EV. No one is commenting there. Why? Because very few frequent posters here are actually interested in EVs. It’s not about the machine it’s about hitting a political wedge.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I haven’t made any sacrifices, that’s your framing.

Your previous posts clearly are worded to tell people what to do. You are spreading doubt in your language “climate change enthusiasts”, belittling cleaner technology and those who would use it. Trying to hold me to a higher standard while you just throw rocks.

Interesting you bring up farm equipment. My grandparents would have been over the moon to be able to produce their own energy. Are you familiar with the invention of the Diesel engine? It was designed to be able to run off of farm commodities. Farmers could press their own oils to run the tractor. Somehow the direction changed and the inventors name was used to label the refining byproduct we now call diesel.

Why do people feel the need to fight against human advancement? What compels them to volunteer their time to stand in the way and defend industries that have known for decades they are harming our future?

Why are you interested in overlanding? Do you enjoy nature? Is it a means to travel to beautiful places, you can enjoy in solitude? Or do you just want to bolt things to your vehicle and look cool? Get muddy and shoot things?
Is some one that is enthusiastic about climate change or preventing climate change not a climate change enthusiast?

I am not holding you to a higher standard, I just really could care less what you are trying to tell people to do.

That's an interesting tidbit of info and take regarding the Diesel engine. Yes producing your own energy around even a small farm is very beneficial. That is one of the reasons I am keeping a keen eye on electric tractor development and charging. Its not a big secret that older basic diesels (the ones produced before the EPA got their hands on it) could be run using bio diesel. I think the engine always had his name attached to it, even though he wasn't around long enough to really see the impact. We could run diesel trucks off of farm commodities up until about 1994 or so.

Which people are you referring to when you talk about fighting human advancement?

Why do I enjoy overloading (or camping outta the truck..lol) I like to travel and see different places, I sometimes overland in different countries out of a rental car, sometimes here in the Us using my own. I like the solitude, I like to fish, paddle hike and on occasion I have been known to shoot a thing or two.

Why the sudden compulsion to pigeon hole people into one category or another......

jaxyaks

Adventurer
EarhtCruiser started a thread yesterday about their Hummer EV. No one is commenting there. Why? Because very few frequent posters here are actually interested in EVs. It’s not about the machine it’s about hitting a political wedge.
I missed that one...maybe people just don't like hummers after being demonized for driving them for years. I'll have to check out the thread, I've seen a few of them around but never really looked close at one. It wouldn't be something I was interested in owning no matter what form of propulsion it was using

3laine

It's been entertaining discussing this situation and seeing how hard you argued that more chargers would have fixed the problem, even though it only took some warm weather to do it.

It's been entertaining seeing how hard you argued that there were "Plenty of chargers" even long after the people who were there in Chicago had proven otherwise, exactly as I originally explained 6 days ago.

More chargers would have substantially reduced the problem in the first place.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

No one is commenting because it is an overweight, overpriced and ugly vehicle that isn't selling very well.

I own an EV and a 30 year old diesel 4x4. The EV is neat because I can drive almost 300 miles on the equivalent of 2.5 gallons of gas. It's easy to drive, quiet, mostly automated, and makes my ~80 mile daily commute nicer. The diesel 4x4 is neat for the opposite reason. It's old, and loud, and dumb, and tough.

I'm not here to argue, but I will say that a backcountry exploring vehicle is a bad use-case for an EV. I think the earthcruiser/hummer collaboration was more of a publicity thing.

There is strong consensus in the EV community that EVs are a good for folks who can charge at home, or have free charging access at work. Capitalists are gonna capitalize, and paid charging is getting very close the same cost as buying gas in most of the country.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I’m 48 and I have a library card. Do you have children? Cause they are going to remember your climate denialism.
What is climate denialism? Like we don’t believe in a climate? Are we still all going to freeze to death? Burn alive? If we just build some more power plants to fuel our electric cars we’ll be all better…😆

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It’s nothing to do with politics and everything to do with practicality. I don’t think many folks are interested in that platform. The hummer EV is crazy expensive for what it is- throw that thing on top just makes its that much more. It’s a novelty, a neat novelty, but just a novelty.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It’s nothing to do with politics and everything to do with practicality. I don’t think many folks are interested in that platform. The hummer EV is crazy expensive for what it is- throw that thing on top just makes its that much more. It’s a novelty, a neat novelty, but just a novelty.
Doesn’t it weigh like 8000lbs empty?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I thought GM really had a good chance to revive the Hummer name but they went a bit too inaccessible with it IMO, but that could have been by design, they probably never had the ability to build a high volume of them.
Agreed. But guessing it was by design to have a Halo vehicle. Probably help absorb some of the cost for the Silverado EV etc...

Someone in our hood has one. (truck version, not SUV)
Saw it while walking the dog sitting in the driveway charging beside a BMW SUV EV. I thought it was kinda neat.
I can appreciate all the tech that it has and it's probably a blast to drive. They just aren't for me.

For around town and my commute, an EV would be fine for me. Charge at home etc.... It's the towing and camping where they would be an issue.

Once charging stations are as plentiful as gas stations and refueling / charge times are similar, I'd be open to it. Not sure how much benefit there would be to me cause I think by then charging might be as expensive as filling a truck up with gas. Time will tell I guess. I'll continue to run gas / PHEV as long as I can.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Agreed. But guessing it was by design to have a Halo vehicle. Probably help absorb some of the cost for the Silverado EV etc...

Someone in our hood has one. (truck version, not SUV)
Saw it while walking the dog sitting in the driveway charging beside a BMW SUV EV. I thought it was kinda neat.
I can appreciate all the tech that it has and it's probably a blast to drive. They just aren't for me.

For around town and my commute, an EV would be fine for me. Charge at home etc.... It's the towing and camping where they would be an issue.

Once charging stations are as plentiful as gas stations and refueling / charge times are similar, I'd be open to it. Not sure how much benefit there would be to me cause I think by then charging might be as expensive as filling a truck up with gas. Time will tell I guess. I'll continue to run gas / PHEV as long as I can.
The right application/ use and setup definitely has a benefit but I’d bet less than .5% of the population can do the learning to figure it out. Transportation “cost” is something the average person barely considers if at all except that weekly reminder where they stop what they are doing and hand cash over for gas.

I honestly don’t think the Human Race on an individual general population level is capable of doing things like money management, transportation cost etc.

You see people who simply don’t do things because they know they can’t or don’t want to manage it that population seems to be getting smaller but is also the group that seems to do ok just because they avoided costs they probably can’t afford.

But a large population of our society doesn’t do that and just goes bankrupt basically.

Its just numbers and numbers don’t lie👍.

The everyday hybrids definitely provide a large savings to the city dwellers doing short trips with lots of traffic.

Add in plugin hybrids which really shine when you add in (correctly sized and priced solar installations) “correctly” being emphasized here!!!

Virtually NO one getting solar installed know what sort of system or equipment they have. But they’ll research the hell out of a $700 dishwasher!🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

I had a neighbor send me their solar quotes last week asking for feedback. Two companies were pitching systems that were probably 20% bigger than needed based on current power use history and projected future use needs and running $6+ kwh . Nutz!! Also neither would name the manufacturer type for the equipment or manufacturer warranty because they install whole sale or auction bought trash and have no idea what’s arriving at the warehouse on the installation date.

Thats like buying a dishwasher for $1500 and all your shown is a blank cardboard
box and told don’t worry there’s a dishwasher in there.

We cut our home power cost to near zero and our transportation cost to 1/4th of what we had before 2016 by simply buying a plugin hybrid and moving to a more efficient SUV.

Hybrid had a $7500 tax credit it cost less to buy a Titanium premium model Ford Fusion Energi than a basic non plugin hybrid Prius. They run the same Toyota hybrid system😆. Running EV mode locally on the short trips is a huge reduction in gas burn rate and hard wear on the old ice technology. Lots of savings there just due to the nature of how ice vs short trips is all wrong application vs EV short trips is perfectly suited for each other👍. Add in solar power offset for the EV charging (to a point). We only use 7kwh ish a day on EV use or less.

Once you get up past 10-15kwh a day in the EV the solar system size needed for both your house and say 30+ miles a day EV is getting big. Most regions currently have a 10kwh system size limit on residential permits then you step up to commercial level permits and codes making 10+kwh sized systems more costly.

Again its just numbers. Of which I’m convinced only 1-2% of the human population can mentally work out for their own use case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998