Every "planned" Adventure begins with a dream.

Outback

Explorer
My dream begins with a Land Rover. Specifically a Perentie 110 2 door Hard Top. The Perentie comes with an Isuzu 4 cylinder Diesel. This engine is pretty much the best engine you could ask for in an Expedition Rig. Mated up to that engine is there toughest 4 speed manual Land Rover has ever made and Tcase. These vehicles are built tough with no frills or any other unnecessary gadgets. They were built for the Australian Army so they had to be tough. Also in my dream I have visions of Portals bolted onto the stock Axles. Of course the portals allow you to install CTIS. To that add a selectable locker front and Detroit locker rear and you have a very capable vehicle by any standard. So here is where my Adventure begins. Add to that a trip to Australia and you can see I have some planning to do.

Outback

Explorer
Here are some specs I found on the 3.9 Isuzu Diesel engine:

Cylinders: 4
Injection: direct
Injection pump: Bosch/Zexel type A inline pump on RHS (drivers perspective)
Bore: 4.0157in
Stroke 4.6457in
Valves: 8
Inlet manifold seperate casting RHS (drivers perspective).
Exhaust LHS (drivers perspective).
Weight: Approx 770lbs turbo. 744lbs NA (source Isuzu spec sheet from 1988)
Dimensions NA: 31.3in long x 27.8in wide x 29.7in tall.
Bellhousings: SAE #3 automotive (rare), SAE #3 industrial (rare), Landrover LT85/95 (rare), Isuzu truck pattern (most common).
Starting aids: Glowplugs and excess fuel.
Electrical: 12v in US market, 24v in rest of the world.
Turbochargers: IHI RHB6 (early), Garrett T25 wastegated (early), Garrett T25 freefloat with T3 flange or Garrett T25 wastegated with T3 flange.
Alternator: 12v or 24v depending on market, vacuum pump on rear. Located high on LHS (drivers perspective).
AC Compressor: if fitted below alternator on LHS (drivers perspective).

Power output NA: Varies but up to 104.6hp @ 3200rpm.
Torque output NA: Varies but up to 194ftlbs @ 1900rpm.

Power output Turbo: varies but up to 140.8hp @ approx 3000rpm.
Torque output Turbo: Varies but up to 243.4ftlbs @ approx 1800rpm.

Boost: Approx 13psi stock.

Outback

Explorer
Here is what the portals look like with 35" tires.

portal 3.jpgportal 2.jpgportal 1.jpgportal 4.jpg

Im sure you all recognize this Beautiful 130

Outback

Explorer
So I have been brain storming over the last few days with my wife on our plans. VERY Rough plans. So far we have decided to purchase 2 of the Perentie 110 hard tops. I will fly out a month ahead of the family to prep each vehicle. These I will convert to inside campers. We wanted two as we plan some remote trail/touring in Australia. First planned trip will be to Cape York. That's about as far as we have gotten. BUT I did already build each vehicle on paper at least. I will get into that next time. For now it looks like a departure date sometime in 2017 (2 years out or so). We plan to spend at least 2 months in Australia. Not enough time but may be able to stay longer or come back a few times.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
And you're going to drive one and your wife is driving the other one? Do you hate your wife? That's gonna be boring as can be. Get just the one vehicle and find other people with their own 4wd to join you, or join them, on the more remote tracks. You're not the only one travelling there ;).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So I have been brain storming over the last few days with my wife on our plans. VERY Rough plans. So far we have decided to purchase 2 of the Perentie 110 hard tops. I will fly out a month ahead of the family to prep each vehicle.

That sounds fantastic. If you don't mind my asking, what is your (and your spouse's) level of training? Have you considered going through formal off road training, wilderness first aid training, etc...?

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Second that.. Depending on where you are going in Australia it ain't for the noob...it's a bloody big remote place out there in the outback..

Outback

Explorer
And you're going to drive one and your wife is driving the other one? Do you hate your wife? That's gonna be boring as can be. Get just the one vehicle and find other people with their own 4wd to join you, or join them, on the more remote tracks. You're not the only one travelling there ;).

Do I hate my wife? Uh, no. Im sure we can find people to tour with but when we don't have anyone its a smart thing to have a 2nd vehicle. Plus this lets us divide the gear for four food, water and fuel between 2 vehicles. We will have comms between the rigs.

Outback

Explorer
That sounds fantastic. If you don't mind my asking, what is your (and your spouse's) level of training? Have you considered going through formal off road training, wilderness first aid training, etc...?

Well I have covered and been to every 40 square miles across the Continental United States. Everything from 4x4, snowcat, single engine plane with skis and helicopters. mainly just 4x4. In 7 years I went through three knew trucks and wore them out. Part of our training included first aid courses every year. The wife while not as experienced as me is quite capable behind the wheel. We routinely go on 4x4 trips with the kids. Medical training is one area I plan on having the entire family go through. Was going to do this anyway and not related to any trips. Just good knowledge to have. I will train each member in winch operations as well.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
I must say, you have thought this out very well and the level of preparation will be very high :). Having comms between the vehicles is not exactly the same as sitting in the same vehicle but it's way beter than nothing and does indeed have the benefits you mention.
Your trip sounds like a blast!

newhue

Adventurer
Outback, kids you say, how many. The Army 110 panel vans only have two seats. Some of the two door rag tops have sideway facing seats in the rear, but I think they are not allowing them to be civilian registered with them in. For what it's worth conversation in an Isuzu is a concept. Sign language is easier and ear plugs can be advised. The Army put an 80km/h speed limit on the 110's due to unacceptable cabin noise at higher speeds. The two blokes I know who drive Perenties always seem keen to pull up for the day after 3 or so hours.

IMO I'd buy two, park one up and kit one out if you all fit. Put the resources into the one, it won't break down anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears