Every "planned" Adventure begins with a dream.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
I really don't like doing more than 300k a day in my series (toyota turbodiesel, sitting on 35's so less revs at cruise) due to the noise, and I've actually got quite a bit of soundproofing in it. After an entires day drive I'm knackered.

Outback

Explorer
Newhue I have 2 children that will go on the trip with us. My plans include to extensively prep the cabin with multiple layers of sound deadening. I'm use to doing this as my Snowcats are also quite loud. The second rig I may not use hi tuff or Ashcroft axles and just fit the diffs with a Detroit and Ashcroft Airlocker up front. We will see as time gets closer. We will be in NO hurry to complete any of the tours/trails we choose to go on. I fully intend to soak up the views and relax with the family around a nice camp fire at night. Good food and a few glasses of wine are top on the list after a day on the trail. I want the kids (now 10 and 14) to take pictures and video as much as they want. During the nights kickback we will pull them up and view them as the nights entertainment. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post up.

Outback

Explorer
6965450.jpg6965454.jpg6965447.jpg6965449.jpgSo to continue, I have penciled down a few things to better equip with our rigs with. Not complete. In no particular order:

1. After picking up both Land Rovers (leaning towards the Surveillance model now) I will have KLR fit them with Power Steering.
2. KLR to install door locks.
3. inspect, repack/replace axle bearings.
4. Install in rear axle a Deroit Locker. Front Axle will get the Ashcroft Air Locker.
5. Install Hi Tuff and or Ashcroft axles, stub axles, cvs, U joints and flanges ect.
6. All new suspension bushings.
7. Koni Raid Shocks (unless something better comes up).
8. Not sure if the wheels use tubes or not. If so then all new tubes. If not add Staun bead locks.
9. All 6 tires balanced (2 spare per rig).
10. All new brakes, brake hoses and brake cylinders ect..
11. Diff protectors and skid plates as needed.
12. All fluids to be changed.
13. All filters to be changed.
14. All new belts and hoses (one complete extra set as spares).
15. All suspension nuts to be re torqued and lock tightened.
16. NUGGET's Diff breather.
17. Install larger fuel tanks (200 liters plus combined).
18. Install 3 to 4, 67 liter water tanks per vehicle. Secured to rear floor and plumbed for easy fill and dispensing (electric pump).
19. Hot water shower unit.
20. install hard top (cab).
21. Custom Canvas Work to rear area cover.
22. Rhino Line rear bed area.
23. Dynamat cab floor, walls and ceiling.
24. Boom Mat Floor.
25. Install stock rubber floor covering.
26. Custom canvas work for seat covers, tire covers and other items.
27. Install Air Compressor and tank. Sealed for water crossings.
28. Ham Radios installed in each vehicle.
29. 2 solar panels mounted on roof. These charge two Oddessey Batteries completely separate from vehicle electrical system. These power non vehicle related accessories.
30. All batteries changed to Oddessey Batteries.
31. Install Freeze Fridge (largest possible).
32. Synthetic Rope installed in place of wire rope.
33. Sat Phone per vehicle.
34. SPOT tracker per vehicle.
35. GPS per vehicle.
36. Engine mechanical fan to be removed and replaced with electrical fans (an off switch used for water crossings). Open to suggestions on this.
37. Nugget Light Guards.
38. Rock Sliders.

Last edited:

lrover52

Bernard
Hi Outback!

1/ Some years ago, I have also travelled in 2 cars (with 3 children), my wife driving the other one.
Good and bad proposition: for very rough sections (like total off road for 4 days!), we teamed up with a 3rd car as I felt that a family of 2 adults + 3 children in 2 cars was not "safe" enough.
=> You can read (very) briefly about it here;
http://landroamer.blogspot.ch/2013/04/overland-trips.html

2/ I've lived and worked in Africa (35 years), I have had both Land Rovers and Land Cruisers, do your family a REAL favor: buy 1 Toyota Troopie (4.2 liter diesel - non turbo) with a camping-car set-up, meet up with other travellers as you get to your trails and ENJOY your trips during the limited time you have in this huge country (instead of improving a Land Rover Perentie) ...

One life - Live it!
Bernard

lrover52

Bernard
update... have just read your latest post: 38 things to do on your Perentie...

Bad plan. Buy a Troopy and TRAVEL !!!

Bernard

PS - I own a 37 years old Land Rover that drives fine (with power steering added)!

Outback

Explorer
The plan is for me to fly out and secure the Land rovers and kit them up. When there done the family will fly out. I do love the Troopies and this is just the start of my plans. They can and will change/evolve. I will look at the Troopie for sure. Thanks for the heads up. The reason I chose the Land Rover as a base for our expedition is the simplicity of the Isuzu engine and its bullet proof reliability coupled with the bullet proof trans and tcase.

Last edited:

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Hey mate sounds like you know what you are doing, just do take into account the remoteness of most of the outback and ensure you have good working Satellite phones and an EPIRB.
Also let me know when you are planning on doing the trips you never know I may be able to pop out in the middle of nowhere and say Gday :)

I second the troopy idea and there is a reason that nearly all remote stations use them (Well cruisers anyway)

Outback

Explorer
Roger that muzza22au,
Ive started looking at the Troopies and decided I like the cruisers better. This is the point of putting my plans out on "paper" so to speak. I am open to any ideas. I will let you all know when I am heading out there for sure.

Outback

Explorer
So far I have not found a troopie that I like. im looking at used of course. So far the Land Rover still has my vote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears