Evidentiary standard for tech

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Do you mind sharing your experiences with the tc changes? What kind of changes did you make and why?

My changes have had to do with towing and blown up components (ie new Ashcroft R380 on one of those excercises). I retrieve imports from the docks with a substantial all steel car trailer 2200 lbs. Most of what goes on the trailer are Tdi 110's and I deliver them all over the place.
My entire rolling rig is often well over 12,000 lbs and I have a 2.5 liter engine. I ran a 1.4 with 285.75's and was shifting 4-5th a lot on the interstate in area's like New England and the Blue Ridge Mountains. I tried a 1.2 but went to 235.85's and I ran this setup most of the summer for economy and to save wear and tear on the Km 2's. Right now I'm back to 285.75's with the 1.2 still in the truck in preparation for MAR this Thursday. The discussion here has been or @ least started about crawl ratio's. Like Muskyman I like the stock crawl. I had an old willys that had a lower crawl but it was pretty much useless on road. I have found that a stock but locked tdi can idle (no feet on the pedals) up and over obstacles that others have a hell of a time with. No I haven't spent days in rock gardens like the Hammers in Ca, or Moab but I have done things like driven up the side of a Vt mountain via a bolder strewn running stream bed, nothing but steep, slick, wet granite and could have used a lower crawl ratio there and tires with suction cups.

Like Frank I am currently building a v8 (4.2) auto 110 stationwagon for client in California. The truck was ariginally a v8 then converted very early on to diesel and now back to v8, but efi. Like Frank I'm also converting it to lhd using a late Td5 style dash. I'm also adding a/c and all new Exmoor leather seats (seating for 7 with forward facing rear jump seats), all new galvanized doors (which I'm building from boxes of off the shelf parts-hating that part), new style rear roof sides, all new interior panels, Puma/Tdci hood. Parts bill alone already exceeds $25k (over and above the base truck and donor purchases of $22k). Entire truck is getting new (td5 part #'s) LR wiring harness's, and using disc brake axles from a donor truck. Basically completely deconstruct 2 trucks and building an entirely new truck using only the frame,front fenders,bulkhead, tposts, and rear tub from the original truck.

Last edited:

muskyman

Explorer
True. Underdrive gets you into the super low crawling range real quick, but a factor to consider here is that your torque multiplication becomes so great that it becomes extremely easy to twist/break even the strongest driveshafts, gears, lockers and axles when you put so much gearing at the transfer case. On the other side of the coin, putting the gearing at the axle itself actually decreases the load on the driveshaft and everything in front of it.

I think you are thinking about this backwards...

Adding lower gears ( higher numericle) at the differentials will increase the torque load on the driveshafts and transfercase.

This is why portals protect the drivetrain. Because the hubs have an additional gear reduction the ring and pinions are most often less aggressive as far as gear reduction goes. That then lowers the amount of torque load on the transfercase and driveshafts for the same effective torque at the tire.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The discussion here has been or @ least started about crawl ratio's.
Actually this thread was started about people posting statements and/or photos without any context, expecting people to take it either as "because I said so" or that it applies to everyone in every circumstance.
It did morph in to carry-over from the "1.4" thread bickering.

In any case, thanks for including the context of your personal experiences. :)

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I think you are thinking about this backwards...

Adding lower gears ( higher numericle) at the differentials will increase the torque load on the driveshafts and transfercase.

This is why portals protect the drivetrain. Because the hubs have an additional gear reduction the ring and pinions are most often less aggressive as far as gear reduction goes. That then lowers the amount of torque load on the transfercase and driveshafts for the same effective torque at the tire.

Wouldn't a driveshaft benefit from being able to turn the axles with greater ease if the ring and pinion were lower ratio, just as the engine itself benefits from being able to turn the entire drivetrain with greater ease due to the diff gearing? However, with the lower diff gears, the axle shafts themselves would undergo more torque multiplication. The portal axles go a step further than the diff gears, by taking the torque multiplication even further down the line to the wheels themselves, thus making life easier on everything.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
My changes have had to do with towing and blown up components (ie new Ashcroft R380 on one of those excercises). I retrieve imports from the docks with a substantial all steel car trailer 2200 lbs. Most of what goes on the trailer are Tdi 110's and I deliver them all over the place.
My entire rolling rig is often well over 12,000 lbs and I have a 2.5 liter engine. I ran a 1.4 with 285.75's and was shifting 4-5th a lot on the interstate in area's like New England and the Blue Ridge Mountains. I tried a 1.2 but went to 235.85's and I ran this setup most of the summer for economy and to save wear and tear on the Km 2's.

The 130 sounds like the rig to do this in, but your solution probably lies in swapping a tougher 1 ton rated transmission in, such as an NV4500, or something. I know this is departing from purist territory and would require some custom work, but it would solve the problem. I don't think an R380, no matter how modded, will be able to do this on a regular basis.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Fixed it for you. ;)

I was about to say that, but with Duramax in it. However in the last 130 discussion I stepped on some toes with a similar statement, so for the sake of diplomacy, let's stick with 130. The 130 does have a good towing wheelbase, and it's cool to have an import business where you deliver Rovers with another Rover. Just might be doing more than the drivetrain was built for here, so mods needed.

Yorker

Adventurer
I have of course seen the 1.1 gear sets for sale for lt230's, what I was saying is I have never seen anyone running one.

Everyone I know of who runs a 1.002 LT230 also has an extensively modified truck. JL Morin(Oilburner) uses one behind his Cummins in his 109 and Dougal runs one behind the Isuzu 4bd1t in his RRC They both have non Rover axles + transmissions too I believe. It can be a useful gearset- I wouldn't mind a 1:1 LT230 for one of the projects I have been working on. The 1.22 ratio is kind of screwing up what I want to do without going to really big rubber.

Last edited:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
The 127/130 is more than capable of big weight towing over big distances with minimal drive train issues. Even the old 90bhp 127's were good for it. LR SVO used to prep them for 4.5tonne towing (with air brakes)...

Seems to me that:

a) you guys need to chill out and be nice to each other. This is a forum - in the grand scheme of things it's not the be all and end all. When you get heated and angry with each other take a breath and think of other things - your kids for example or what it feels like to be 23 years old and to have just had your legs blown off by an IED. Get a bit of perspective

b) When it all comes down to it we are all pretty much unique. If it works for you fine - don't force it down anothers throat and don't belittle others ideas. Remember everyone has the the right to a different opinion

c) if I wanted to hang out on forum and watch ***** fights there are plenty I could choose from. You have all got pertinent points to make but I like it here so if you want a ***** fight either get a room or sod off elsewhere.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
The 127/130 is more than capable of big weight towing over big distances with minimal drive train issues. Even the old 90bhp 127's were good for it. LR SVO used to prep them for 4.5tonne towing (with air brakes)...

Agreed on let's everyone get along . . . :)

The 130 statement was only a response to Doug (Maryland 110) having trouble blowing drivetrain parts, including a new Ashcroft R380, while towing at a 12,000 GVWR through the mountains. Ideas?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
In order to gain the gearing that you are looking for, you are looking to increase the number of teeth on the ring and pinion. A jump from 3.54 to 4.5x or higher, will lead to a larger number of teeth and those teeth will then have to be made more narrow (smaller).
Not true with regards to Land Rovers. Well, depending on who's R&P you use I suppose.
But going with Ashcroft's R&P you're actually reducing the number of teeth in the R&P.
Stock 3.54 - 46/13
3.75 - 30/8
4.12 - 33/8
4.37 - 35/8
4.75 - 38/8

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

The 130 statement was only a response to Doug (Maryland 110) having trouble blowing drivetrain parts, including a new Ashcroft R380, while towing at a 12,000 GVWR through the mountains. Ideas?

Well, has he got a cooler?

Maryland 110

Adventurer

Yeah it was a function of 240,000 hard miles.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
The 130 sounds like the rig to do this in, but your solution probably lies in swapping a tougher 1 ton rated transmission in, such as an NV4500, or something. I know this is departing from purist territory and would require some custom work, but it would solve the problem. I don't think an R380, no matter how modded, will be able to do this on a regular basis.

Thanks for your insight but I swapped in a new Ashcroft one after the original unit with 240k let go. Quite happy with the replacement r380.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger