EXD 350 - EarthCruiser on flat bed

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
The EarthCruiser way is to build something and then test the wheels off it before a formal launch. We're now ready for that formal launch and think the EXD is an excellent addition to the EarthCruiser product line. How do we best communicate the details to you?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The EarthCruiser way is to build something and then test the wheels off it before a formal launch. We're now ready for that formal launch and think the EXD is an excellent addition to the EarthCruiser product line. How do we best communicate the details to you?

Appreciate your methodology Michelle/Lance!
Wasn't the EXD already formally launched last year?
Can the details including pricing be communicated here? https://earthcruiser.com/our-vehicles/earthcruiser-exd/ In my view, the EXD page greatly pales in comparison to the updated EXP page. My $0.02.

gregmchugh

Observer
Well if this is the case then their HQ staff is providing misleading info and running buyers away. Late 2019 I was told in person at their HQ that pricing was $185k installed for the EXD package, on top of (i.e. using) the new cab/chassis I already have.
I'll ask them tomorrow and update this space. It might be a few weeks until I hear an answer. Unfortunately it took them that long last time to hear from sales. :( (Better than AdventureTrucks though, still haven't heard from them).

Moreover, if the actual camper/subframe/mounting portion of the EXD (which is pretty dang close to the look/feel of their original EXP cabin on the Fuso, wouldn't you agree?, albeit the EXD has to be a bit shorter because of the longer American pickup nose) is only $125k, then why does the FX start at $399k now (granted, this is the hardtop version I know, but bear with me here--one would think the hardtop FX might cost less than the lifting roof EXP as the FX has no lifting roof/actuators--and the new EXP V8 can't be used for comparison purposes here as it's not a stock FG 4x4 diesel/Duonic due to the new V8/Allison/Dynatrac's/Hero/etc, although the new EXP V8 also starts at $399k)?; https://earthcruiser.com/our-vehicles/earthcruiser-fx/

That would mean if we work backwards, you take $399k (complete FX cabin/subrame/mounting on modded FG 4x4 cab/chassis) - at least $125k, but let's be generous and say $175k for the larger FX (FX cabin with custom subframe/kinetic mounts, quite similar overall in look/feel/equipment to the EXD cabin) = $224k (externally modded FG 4x4 cab/chassis price). Then take a generous $60k off of that for installed external mods like bull bar, brush guard, hitch, ext. range fuel tank, proprietary susp, wheels/tires, etc = $164k or so. Ever seen a brand new Mitsu FG 4x4 selling for over $160k from a Mitsu commercial dealer? I didn't think so. ;)

I see that Michelle responded and EC is clearly the source of the best info.

I am a little confused by your post in a couple areas though.

The chassis used for the $399K 2020 FX and EXP is not the Fuso 4wd FG (4wd diesel not available anymore in the US), it is a gasoline 2WD truck that is converted to 4wd by EC with very extensive mods including a new suspension and a completely new drivetrain past the transmission along with other mods. Since the price is usually shown for a complete vehicle with the EXP and FX, I don’t know if EC shows a price for the truck vs the camper on these vehicles. The price of the truck chassis for the 2020s will be significantly higher than the price of the truck delivered to EC due to all the mods.

In terms of the cabins, the EXP is 14 ft long and the EXD is 10 ft and there are significant differences in the content with the EXP having a fixed bed and a dining area and the EXD having a combo dining/bed area along with other content differences. Not sure how the cost of the two compare but the materials and labor for construction of the EXP cabin must be significantly higher than the EXD.

Bottom line, I think only EC can come up with accurate numbers for the items you are attempting to estimate...

Last edited:

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Appreciate your methodology Michelle/Lance!
Wasn't the EXD already formally launched last year?
Can the details including pricing be communicated here? https://earthcruiser.com/our-vehicles/earthcruiser-exd/ In my view, the EXD page greatly pales in comparison to the updated EXP page. My $0.02.
The first EXD was mostly hand made. Since then, we've put all components through a tooling process, into our CAD system, made sure we have a sustainable supply chain, made sure we met the build specs from the manufacturers, created a back end system so we can fully support our customers and made the EXD a true EarthCruiser production vehicle. This is different from our initial plan to make a flatbed version which would have created issues with weights and driving habits. We will be re-launching the EXD with better information and a greatly updated web page. We will supply completed EXDs on RAMs, Fords and Chevys . We will be selling the EXD 'house' unit for export for Ivecos, Ford transits, etc. Pricing does start at $185,000 but it's January and we will be looking at a price increase as all of our costs have gone up. In the meantime, have a look at the the photos Lance posted as they show just how fabulous the EXD is.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I see that Michelle responded and EC is clearly the source of the best info.

I am a little confused by your post in a couple areas though.

The chassis used for the $399K 2020 FX and EXP is not the Fuso 4wd FG (4wd diesel not available anymore in the US), it is a gasoline 2WD truck that is converted to 4wd by EC with very extensive mods including a new suspension and a completely new drivetrain past the transmission along with other mods. Since the price is usually shown for a complete vehicle with the EXP and FX, I don’t know if EC shows a price for the truck vs the camper on these vehicles. The price of the truck chassis for the 2020s will be significantly higher than the price of the truck delivered to EC due to all the mods.

In terms of the cabins, the EXP is 14 ft long and the EXD is 10 ft and there are significant differences in the content with the EXP having a fixed bed and a dining area and the EXD having a combo dining/bed area along with other content differences. Not sure how the cost of the two compare but the materials and labor for construction of the EXP cabin must be significantly higher than the EXD.

Bottom line, I think only EC can come up with accurate numbers for the items you are attempting to estimate...

Hi Greg,

Agreed that Michelle is the best source of info. She's quicker with basic info than the rest of the sales team is.

You're right about the FX being based on the new V8/Allison, thanks for the heads up on this. I seem to have gotten confused when looking at the FX page, since it says;
Base ChassisMitsubishi Fuso 4×4
I took that to mean they still had some FG's left over, but Omega is the last on the FG 4x4 chassis($265k, so a $135k price jump to the new FX/EXP). Seems the FX page is outdated, there's no info about the V8/Allison, trick Dynatrac/Hero setup, etc, like there is on the EXP page. And you're also correct about the FX/EXP cabins being longer, fixed rear bed, and possibly thicker wall panels, etc than the EXD, however there's no info about wall thickness on the EXD page. I was only trying to explain to Adam88 that the $185k EXD cabin/subframe/kinetic seemed to make more sense than $125k, if we worked backwards from the price of a new Fuso-based chassis/cabin. But as you point out, comparing oranges to grapefruits maybe.

Michelle,
I think the above confusion translates into some questions and constructive suggestions to pass along;
--Us "overland truck" nerds want and expect more info on your site. We're comparing your product to AdventureTrucks/GXV, Earthroamer, Blissmobil, Unidan, XP, custom Total Composites, etc etc. Give us the goods about what makes yours yours, and uniquely class-leading in your eyes. The EXP page has a wealth of info, but if the FX is basically the same as the EXP (just a fixed roof vs lifting), why doesn't the FX page talk about the new V8/Allison, Dynatrac/Hero, all the trick stuff? Seems like a 10minute simple cut/paste to me via WordPress.
--EXD; any reason base pricing isn't already listed on the page? Why aren't there more specifics about the entire setup like the EXP page has, like cabin wall thickness, comfort, livability, systems (are you still using Mastervolt, Victron Energy, ?)? Also, notes about going with a gas truck and having an isolated diesel tank for the house components (cooktop, air/water heater, etc), vs having a diesel truck with single fuel source (diesel) for the house components. What does Basic or Luxury mean--is that in regards to purchasing a new truck along with the EXD cabin?

The first EXD was mostly hand made. Since then, we've put all components through a tooling process, into our CAD system, made sure we have a sustainable supply chain, made sure we met the build specs from the manufacturers, created a back end system so we can fully support our customers and made the EXD a true EarthCruiser production vehicle. This is different from our initial plan to make a flatbed version which would have created issues with weights and driving habits. We will be re-launching the EXD with better information and a greatly updated web page. We will supply completed EXDs on RAMs, Fords and Chevys . We will be selling the EXD 'house' unit for export for Ivecos, Ford transits, etc. Pricing does start at $185,000 but it's January and we will be looking at a price increase as all of our costs have gone up. In the meantime, have a look at the the photos Lance posted as they show just how fabulous the EXD is.

Good to hear on the better info/greatly updated EXD web page.
What I hear you saying is that while pricing has already increased from $125k (April 2019) to $185k (Dec 2019), pricing will increase again in early 2020? Any hint as to the new 2020 pricing?
How would you compare your EXD at $185k< + $Truck, to AdventureTrucks/GXV's AT cabin/truck combo at $198k-248k(base-w/optionpkg)?

Keep building cool rigs!

Last edited:

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Good to hear on the better info/greatly updated EXD web page.
What I hear you saying is that while pricing has already increased from $125k (April 2019) to $185k (Dec 2019), pricing will increase again in early 2020
The $125,000 you are referencing was for the EXD house only. It was assuming that a customer would bring us their chassis. The $185,000 includes the chassis as we have negotiated packages with our local dealers. We will be discussing EXD pricing next week and the new pricing will be posted on the updated EXD page. As well, we will be releasing a comprehensive video series on the EXD in the very near future.

Seems the FX page is outdated
The EXP is where we started and it is and always will be our flagship world travel model. When we introduced the FX, it was to have a less fully featured model that could be spec'd up to the EXP but with a fixed roof. We have now brought the EXP and FX in line with features and fuctionality with the only difference being that the FX has a fixed roof. Our website revision will reflect this.

Lance and I had to cancel our participation in the Budapest to Sierra Leone rally this year because our Goldy is heading for the Rainbow Bridge but we will be doing a trip with some US and Australian owners in Australia this summer. This trip goes to the remotest parts of Oz where permits are required to traverse Aboriginal lands. We'll then be heading to Morocco for a US owners trip (currently in planning) later this year. Our owners are out there doing things whether it's spending the winter skiing, travelling the world or just going to their favorite place far away from anyone.

Isn't this really about where one wants to go and the experience they want to have? These vehicles are just tools -- pick the right tool for you and for your job. Talk to people who make the tools to see if their tool is right for you. The question then becomes how does one know what tools is right for them?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The $125,000 you are referencing was for the EXD house only. It was assuming that a customer would bring us their chassis. The $185,000 includes the chassis as we have negotiated packages with our local dealers. We will be discussing EXD pricing next week and the new pricing will be posted on the updated EXD page. As well, we will be releasing a comprehensive video series on the EXD in the very near future.

The EXP is where we started and it is and always will be our flagship world travel model. When we introduced the FX, it was to have a less fully featured model that could be spec'd up to the EXP but with a fixed roof. We have now brought the EXP and FX in line with features and fuctionality with the only difference being that the FX has a fixed roof. Our website revision will reflect this.

Lance and I had to cancel our participation in the Budapest to Sierra Leone rally this year because our Goldy is heading for the Rainbow Bridge but we will be doing a trip with some US and Australian owners in Australia this summer. This trip goes to the remotest parts of Oz where permits are required to traverse Aboriginal lands. We'll then be heading to Morocco for a US owners trip (currently in planning) later this year. Our owners are out there doing things whether it's spending the winter skiing, travelling the world or just going to their favorite place far away from anyone.

Isn't this really about where one wants to go and the experience they want to have? These vehicles are just tools -- pick the right tool for you and for your job. Talk to people who make the tools to see if their tool is right for you. The question then becomes how does one know what tools is right for them?

Ok, thanks for clearing up the confusion Michelle (I'd recommend to your sales staff to be crystal clear with potential customers, that $185k INCLUDES a new truck). Moving forward with the new pricing, will there still be 2 options then?;
#1 Bring a chassis and EXD/subframe/kinetic mounting is $1xxk.
#2 Buy a cab/chassis from you with EXD/subframe/kinetic mounting for $1xxk-$2xxk.
Looking forward to seeing the updated web pages.

A bit of a shame to hear that FX(fixed roof) will now automatically be fully spec'd the same as the EXP(lifting roof), and thus no Fuso-based EC will cost less than $399k. When it sounds like a goal of EC is to help more people get out and travel/experience/explore the world using these premier tools, the new Fuso base pricing puts this EC "tool" out of the reach of even more potential customers now (and those selling used FG-based FX/EXP's will keep their prices high since it's still lower than a new $399k rig. Same thing that's occurred with Earthroamer). :(

Side topic; Your Morocco trip brings about a non-EXD question; with your '07-19 Fuso FG's being ULSD/DEF, how difficult is it to find high quality ULSD/DEF on your travels? Or do you travel in a pre-ULSD/DEF FG?

PS--From a animal owner, I'm sorry to hear about Goldy. Keeping you all in good thoughts.

gregmchugh

Observer
I get turned off by sales people who directly compare their product to the competition. Most times they don’t have good info on the current competitive products and come up with inaccurate info. Just give me your story on how your product will meet my specific needs.

I appreciate the approach highlighted by Michelle. We can tell you everything you need to know to evaluate our products vs the competition. Talk to the competition and get the info from them to see if they can do a better job of meeting your needs.

My view is that is that you also need to talk directly with any company you are considering to assess whether they are someone you want to do business with. You are signing up for a long term relationship so you need to see if it looks like they will be there for you after the sale.

Last edited:

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
will there still be 2 options then?;
At this time it will only be the purchase of a complete package.

how difficult is it to find high quality ULSD/DEF on your travels? Or do you travel in a pre-ULSD/DEF FG?
The world is changing rapidly and countries are leapfrogging from their current standards to new higher standards with lower levels of sulfur. When we were in North Africa two years ago, diesel was 10 ppm whereby in some places in the US it is still 15 ppm. Our Alpha is a 2005 and thus has no DEF or ULSD requirements but I wouldn't hesitate to take a new FG EarthCruiser nearly everywhere and of course gas is available all over the world.

I'm sorry to hear about Goldy
Thank you. She is a 15 yr old Labrador who's had a great life on two continents. That said though it doesn't make it any easier, she is and always will be my little girl.

My view is that is that you also need to talk directly with any company you are considering to assess whether they are someone you want to do business with
Thank you for making this point Greg. I agree completely. We're not for everyone, just like everyone is not necessarily for us. The fit has to be right on all fronts. We've worked really hard to get our back end support systems in place so our owners always have up-to-date information through the EarthCruiser Owner's portal and our dedicated customer service team. Its easy to make a sale but its the customer service that makes the next one.

We've done a revision of the FX page on the website. Eventually it will be merged with the EXP page but in the meantime, let me know if this is helps to answer some questions?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
At this time it will only be the purchase of a complete package.

The world is changing rapidly and countries are leapfrogging from their current standards to new higher standards with lower levels of sulfur. When we were in North Africa two years ago, diesel was 10 ppm whereby in some places in the US it is still 15 ppm. Our Alpha is a 2005 and thus has no DEF or ULSD requirements but I wouldn't hesitate to take a new FG EarthCruiser nearly everywhere and of course gas is available all over the world.

Thank you. She is a 15 yr old Labrador who's had a great life on two continents. That said though it doesn't make it any easier, she is and always will be my little girl.

Thank you for making this point Greg. I agree completely. We're not for everyone, just like everyone is not necessarily for us. The fit has to be right on all fronts. We've worked really hard to get our back end support systems in place so our owners always have up-to-date information through the EarthCruiser Owner's portal and our dedicated customer service team. Its easy to make a sale but its the customer service that makes the next one.

We've done a revision of the FX page on the website. Eventually it will be merged with the EXP page but in the meantime, let me know if this is helps to answer some questions?

Very sad to hear on the deletion of the $125k EXD cabin/subframe/kinetic (although I do understand the streamlining/efficiency perspective from your side, it's a lot easier to deal with 2 knowns--new truck and new cabin--than a unknown "used" truck and a known cabin). But another excellent equipped-cabin option in the marketplace, which has now become unobtanium, disappointing for the community. :(

Good to hear on your experience with ULSD. Hopefully the wiki page gets continually updated; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel

Loves to Goldy!

Seems the FX page isn't quite right yet, at least I'm seeing errors using Chrome; https://earthcruiser.com/earthcruiser-fx/

Thank you for being active on this forum Michelle, answering questions and providing info. The same isn't true for many of your competitors!
PS--if you'd like further info with my own customer service experience, feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
Hi Michelle,

Yes, no single expedition vehicle can be right for everyone. EC, for instance, has a very clear design philosophy to address the needs of your customers and that has gotten you to the 2020 EC design which I find especially appealing but others will find that it doesn’t work for them.

We were in contact a few years ago when we were looking at expedition vehicle options. We ended up deciding on something larger for our purchase but will be downsizing as some point and the dual cab EC looks like the most likely candidate. As an engineer, I appreciate the details involved in your systems approach to the design of the overall vehicle and the incremental updates to the design based on owner experience. Keep up the good work, in a couple years we will probably be a customer. Also hope to stop by when we are traveling in your area to get a tour and maybe get a chance to see a dual cab EC.

Greg McHugh

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hi Michelle,

Yes, no single expedition vehicle can be right for everyone. EC, for instance, has a very clear design philosophy to address the needs of your customers and that has gotten you to the 2020 EC design which I find especially appealing but others will find that it doesn’t work for them.

We were in contact a few years ago when we were looking at expedition vehicle options. We ended up deciding on something larger for our purchase but will be downsizing as some point and the dual cab EC looks like the most likely candidate. As an engineer, I appreciate the details involved in your systems approach to the design of the overall vehicle and the incremental updates to the design based on owner experience. Keep up the good work, in a couple years we will probably be a customer. Also hope to stop by when we are traveling in your area to get a tour and maybe get a chance to see a dual cab EC.

Greg McHugh

2020 w/ the V8/Allison and Dynatrac/Hero is a phenomenal package for sure. Many advantages, especially with that drivetrain setup! But of course it comes at a premium price. Yep, everything keeps getting a lot more expensive.
Looking forward to some '20 FX/EXP's on the used market.

Dual cab EC? Didn't realize the FE160CC was an upcoming option from EC, haven't seen anything on the EC site. Very cool! What's the official word when these will become available Michelle? They'd have a 10' cabin then?

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Greg,

Thank you for your continued support and we'll look forward to showing you around when you're in the neighborhood.

We have the first dual cab in the shop and it will go into production in the next two weeks. It is an FX. The next dual cab will be an EXP and will probably be completed in late March/early April. They are proving to be very popular and we are offering a couple of different configurations for the 'back seat'. Note we won't be shortening the house instead the vehicle length will grow by about 2.5 ft.

We'll be posting pictures of the first V8 FX shortly as well. It is a beast.

gregmchugh

Observer
Greg,

Thank you for your continued support and we'll look forward to showing you around when you're in the neighborhood.

We have the first dual cab in the shop and it will go into production in the next two weeks. It is an FX. The next dual cab will be an EXP and will probably be completed in late March/early April. They are proving to be very popular and we are offering a couple of different configurations for the 'back seat'. Note we won't be shortening the house instead the vehicle length will grow by about 2.5 ft.

We'll be posting pictures of the first V8 FX shortly as well. It is a beast.
Very good, I saw the arrival of the dual cab that you posted on Facebook or Instagram (don’t remember which) and am looking forward to seeing info posted on the build as you proceed.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Update; I've been very impressed with Michelle at Earthcruiser's level of service, and it was evident today as well when I took a tour of their EXD (on silver Chevy) and EXP (on new Fuso V8). Very personable, very transparent with what is new with the rigs, what's still being tested, changes for the future, etc. HUGELY HUGELY impressed with the overall build quality, fit/finish, level of detail I saw today (and I'm a stickler for this, with high expectations honestly). Loved the comfortable seating position in the scheel-mann's in the new V8 EXP. Definitely more impressed with this Fuso interior than the Isuzu NPR(too spartan/commercial). And the EC production staff were so friendly, even when we were in their way of working while trying to check out the EXP interior. They were also eager to share the specific details they were working on, as well as new changes (more great ideas) being implemented. Lots of creative people and artisans for sure. Earthcruiser has it going on, hands down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior