Expedition Jeep JK

Travelmore

Adventurer
I posted this in repsonse to another thread but realized it should be here so it gets some traffic and maybe gets to market some day. This is not from Earthroamer. It is from AEV.
vehicles_show_outpost_jk.jpg

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/show_jk_outpost.php

haven

Expedition Leader
hole in the roof

When I saw it at SEMA, this JK was little more than a Jeep with a hole in the roof, covered by a pop-up. Definitely a concept in need of further development.

Still, it looks cool. I hope AEV can develop the interior and the rooftop sleeping space into something usable for expedition use. It might even cost less than the Earthroamer XV-JK if you can buy it as a kit, and do the Sawzall work yourself.

Chip Haven

greenhorn

Adventurer
Here are some pics from SEMA '06 to drool over. If they make the JK with the new Cummins diesel they are talking about, and AEV decides to finally make the top, I might have to see how much I can sell a kidney for!

JPFreek1

Explorer
The only visible problem I see with this concept is the tent system. I'm assuming there's a vestibule that can be used for when the weather gets nasty. Otherwise, rain will happily find itself inside the sleeping area. Very cool idea nonetheless. :)

i don't get it, i like it, but i dont get it?

i love the car tents like ezawn and those used by Camel Trophy and then the original stuff that has been created like this or ER but explain this to me;

1) why should I spend 2K$ on a tent system that is more heavy, equally as laboursome to put up, on top of my vehicle!, takes up vast storage space, not easily accessible, and tough to accomodate two people in

2) the nicer ground tents now can be set up in a flash, pack up small, are less expensive, more comfortable, more durable, and can be used for prolonged periods of time, leave the roof to be taken off on a Jeep or used for gas/food/advanced portable Sony entertainment systems with surround sound and 300 channels of sat tv (just kidding this last part)

kno wat i mean vern?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
They're comfy...and they're off the ground.... :)

I do both...I throw a sleeping bag on the ground when I'm on the bike, but enjoy the comfort of a RTT in the rig....

I'd love to have one of those pop top tents on the troopy....it'll make camping in a storm that much easier...

-H-

Clutch

<---Pass
Hltoppr said:
They're comfy...and they're off the ground.... :)

-H-

I absolutely love my Wildernest, being off the ground is huge bonus! Only 5 mintues to set up, if that.

I find regular tents a huge pain, plus my 'Nest doubles as a truck shell.

Hltoppr said:
I'd love to have one of those pop top tents on the troopy....it'll make camping in a storm that much easier...

-H-

Your Troopie would be so cool with one of these.

InnovationsLC45a.jpg

I wouldn't mind having this for my Tacoma.

Hilux90camperred2.jpg

Last edited:
ahhhhhhh see lads it certainly has the cool factor doesnt it! but you have not answered the question, what's so great about being off the ground that is worth giving up that space and money for??

i'd rather have a kickn weather versatile and weather proof tent i can move around with considerable space that i can angle and fit an assortment of air mattresses or sleeping bags/feather beds lol depending on conditions

see my point, a tent gives you more options costs less is easy to fix and inexpensive compared to a 2k$+ RTT that weighs a lot, takes up the roof, is smaller, not much easier to set up really, and kills gas mpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I see your point about killing gas mileage and the cost. My 'Nest only cost me $400, doesn't kill the gas milage. Really good tents aren't exactly cheap. Sure is nice sleeping on the foam pad, I never had any luck with air mattresses, I was carrying a small futon mattress, but, it took up alot of room and heavy. My bad back can't take those small self inflating sleep pads.

I personally wouldn't own a RTT (they aren't practical enough for me), only what I have already or a hardtop camper version like I posted earily.

For some reason we feel safer off the ground, away from the critters, unlike the RTT, I can stand up in my Wildernest, cook, change clothes, etc. The dog sleeps on the bed of the truck, no worries when she has playing in the creek, ;)

From an environmental veiw, it has a lower impact than a tent, less ground contact area. So, I don't know what kind of environmentalist I am since I ride dirt bikes and drive a 4WD truck...

My VW camper sets up in less than 30 seconds, now only if I could get something like that for the Tacoma, that would be the cat's meow...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears