Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I had the Cooper AT3's on my D1 and was very impressed with their ability in all weather conditions including snow and ice. I've previously had General Grabbers on my D2 and they were just plain scary on ice. I've ordered a set of Cooper AT3's for my LR3 to go on the 18" wheels for summer driving.
You made a great choice on tires. You'll definitely be happy

While it was essentially a foregone conclusion that we would end up with a white RRS (because that's what she likes - a tonga green LR3 can wait, since that's what I like); it's official as of today ('06).

We've been looking for about a year and while the timing was perfect (we just found this particular RRS last week "only" 600 miles away from home), it was this thread that pushed me over the top as far as me being ok with it as my weekend hunting/camping vehicle and eventual hand-me-down. Thank you.

May even end up selling my Disco... :Wow1:

Hey congratulations on the new Rover! You'll be happy with it I'm sure! They are very capable vehicles and making your wife happy is a major bonus.
In terms of selling the disco I feel I need to remind you of Rover law. You may only sell a Land Rover to replace it with another haha.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Self-recovery is one of the most important things you can prepare for with a 4WD. That's because its not a matter of if you will get stuck, but when. That being said my options are a little more limited with the sport than with many other suvs and trucks on the market. There are no aftermarket bumpers available for the vehicle, and the Land Rover genuine winch mount although cool, is not worth the going rates of $4800 that I've seen recently. So essentially winches are out. For this reason I've looked at the primary terrain types I find myself in and determined that 90% of the time my main concern is going to be soft sand or mud. The obvious answer to tackle this issue is a sand ladder.

I ended up choosing a set of black Maxtrax recovery ladders for a few reasons. First is that we've had a positive experience in all sorts of recoveries with these units in the past and I'll always choose a proven product first. Second, they're a perfect combination of light and strong, not sacrificing too much of one for the other. Lastly, I love all the little touches and features built into them.

Instead of a flat surface to just stick under your tire, you have a shovel shaped end to dig out the space before placing the tracks, a ramp wedge with the large rounded teeth for extra traction, handles for carrying instead of having to grab sharp edges, and keyholes to link tracks together or mount them easily onto a vehicle.

With a core piece of recovery added, and the remainder to be purchased soon, I turned to my camping arrangements. When I purchased this vehicle I was using a Front Runner pop tent and can honestly say I love it. It sets up and breaks down in about ten seconds and stores in your vehicle as easily as a sunshade for your windshield. That being said though, a ground tent in general is not my first choice when it comes to camping.

Call me spoiled but there's something about the convenience and comfort of a roof top tent that has hooked me. After a long day either driving, hiking, or exploring, its nice to quickly open your tent and have a mattress and sleeping bag right there ready to go. While I haven't purchased a long-term option yet, I was lucky enough to borrow this fantastic Eezi-Awn 1400 tent in the mean time. Being the first time I had used one of their tents I can honestly say I was impressed. I've owned an autohome as well as a howling moon in the past and neither of them was as comfortable for me or felt as well built as the 1400.

PJPR01

Adventurer
Nice!!! Way to rock the RTT! Love it! Black Maxtrax can't be beat...was looking at the Blue ones last year at OV Expo but they don't quite match the color of the RRS....so no go!

The dog guard is great isn't...very convenient to keep all the gear back there with no fear of it flying forward!

Looking good Chris!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys! The dog guard is land rover genuine part for the car. Fits every bend nook and cranny of the seats and back perfectly. Also while it's holding just the gear back right now. It holds a German shepherd back during the week haha

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Thanks guys! The dog guard is land rover genuine part for the car. Fits every bend nook and cranny of the seats and back perfectly. Also while it's holding just the gear back right now. It holds a German shepherd back during the week haha

After I asked I was able to find it (vub502080), however I was hoping you were going to say something else. $350 plus shipping from the UK. :Wow1: Main reason we got a tan interior was for our tan dogs. Maybe they will just get to sit in the back seat for a while.:friday:

PJPR01

Adventurer
You won't regret getting the dog guard...have had it in mine since almost day 1 and it's great for keeping the yellow lab back there on his bed or all the gear (Engel and other items) behind bars when on adventure travels. Stays tight and snug...no rattles after all these years...in my opinion, a great investment!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Ya I agree. It's absolutely worth the price. It's not just convenient for keeping the car In good condition and maintaining sanity with dog hair but also key for safety. If you're ever in an accident that thing is gonna keep the dog from flying forward and hurting it and the occupants. Same for any gear if you carry it back ghere

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Chris, I hate to "derail" your thread with a tire question (as it typically does) or better understanding of Tire Size on your RRS as I am not as familiar with the RRS as the LR4 and I have also been reading the LR4 thread.

Why did you choose the 275/65 size over the 265/65 size?

Are you having any rubbing at full lock? I believe you are running Johnson Rods, so my thought is you won't, but I assume you would if you were not?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Yes I would definitely rub without johnson rods but in this case i don't rub in normal or off-road mode at full lock or full articulation. I really just wanted the most tire I could get without ruining the cars handling and performance. The 275/65 allowed me to maintain the everyday drivability while maximizing my gripping surface

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12