Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
Chris, we have a similar set up and I'm working on a few changes thanks to your recent posts. A few years ago I was on the hunt for a rack similar to what I had on my 03' Disco, but either I buy the cheap plastic LR OEM rack, or the not so great looking Baja. I did the Baja and every time I look at the truck, I'm disappointed. (It's like the Baja wants to take off and fly away. Plus you really can't add Kayak & Ski racks to it unless you get creative. So thank you, I've already reached out to Paul May and should get one in June. The Baja Rack goes on Craigslist in an hour. I have the same dog guard, but what are you using to hold the MaxTrax?

Tires/Rims - I live on dirt roads around 8'000 feet year round and beat on the Cooper Zeon's, however I've been considering swapping out for 18" and ditching the 19" rims - Do you think it's a worth while experience? I got about 25K on the Zeon LTZ's and they are just about bald already. I've had the Johnson Rods for some time so switching shouldn't be an issue, just curious if it's worth it.

Enjoy the Air Intake and seal it, I thought i could ford rivers with it on only to find out it's not water proof...

If you guys ever go riding in Colorado shoot me a message. photo 2.JPG

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Not to keep harping on the dog guard (but I will), does the OEM cargo mat work with it? I see most say that it's "not compatible with Rigid Loadspace Protector," but I don't think that's what the standard black flat cargo mat with the silver "Range Rover" badge is...

PJPR01

Adventurer
RAI - here come the river fording pics! Keep that bow wave moving forward!!!

The standard black cargo mat needs to be rolled up just a little bit where it touches the dog guard...

The problem I had seen with folks down here in the extreme heat of Texas running the Cooper Zeons vs. the Nitto Terra Grapplers was either heat cracking or earlier tire wear. The NTG's while costing a bit more than the Zeon's are easily good for 45K if properly rotated and aligned, although they'll get a bit noisier by then. 285/60/18's work just fine, with only a light bit of rubbing at full turn...plus they look pretty cool!

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Please send the pics. It's other LR folks around here that tell me the "not so water proof story", I've been sketchy about going to deep.

JH - I see you live in Wyoming - this is in Denver for $250.00 / Also I took a knife to the corners of the mat and cut it to fit the dog cage comfortably.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4374384814.html

Wow...used to live about 5 mins from there....now I'm about 9 hours. :sombrero: Ugh....probably worth the extra $200 for a new one to save 18 hours round trip. Thanks for the post though!

A.J.M

Explorer
The RAI is indeed not water proof, it's more a high level air intake for dusty conditions.

You CAN make them more water resistant but it's a pig of a job

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I agree that there are no really good looking racks, especially for the LR3. Because of the lift tailgate, they all look like they've been cut too short. The best I've seen is a slimline version, Exodus, by Urban Offroad. Even at that, I'm not totally sold. I've just gone with my old dependable Thule's for now to hold my canoe and solar panel. If something comes along, I might reconsider. img_0831.jpg

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Wow lots of responses! Haha soooo

Timimann:
I would say the 18"s made a huge difference in ride quality and comfort for me but I was going from the 20"s to 18"s. I can't speak to how long my coopers will last but they handle and feel great.
In terms of the maxtrax I use zip ties to keep them tight. I don't like rattles and six zip ties keep it tight against the cage. If I need them I pull out my knife pop em off and Im good to go. I plan on making a more permanent solution soon but for now it works perfectly and its cheap. CONGRATS ON THE RACK! You won't be disappointed. They are seriously perfect for these trucks and very high quality.

jh:
I am running that cargo mat with my dog guard. I didn't cut the full mat, just cut the lip off of the front corners so it was just the flat bottom. Its frustrating that a genuine accessory doesn't work with another genuine accessory but welcome to land rover

Colin:
Check out the same rack I'm running but for the LR3/LR4. Its what we are running on our LR4 build and its works perfectly.

SO WHATS THE DEAL WITH THIS SNORKEL
I immediately noticed when installing it that it wouldn't seal or keep water out for anything. I assumed it made contact on the inner portion of the intake which is why I siliconed that whole section. Based on these comments however I think I'm going to silicone the entire outer section as well.
Has anyone drowned a rover using these and is there a better fix than siliconing the crap out of the thing?

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
All - since there is some discussion about the water proofness of the RAI - let me ask. I need to remove mine this weekend for a new windshield install Saturday. Since I'm taking it off for the 1st time in years, what can I do or use to make it more water resistant? What silicons or whatever did you use? I probably won't get into the "pig of the job" since I do plan on making this the wives car in a couple of years or selling it. But for the next 2 years of driving where I live (deep in the mountains) what' s the best approach?

Also - Will 18" LR3 rims fit right onto the Sport with no issue, or is there anything that needs to be modified? I already have had the johnson rods installed a while back.

Thank you for your feed back.

A.J.M

Explorer
I think the pipe work inside the wing for the RAI isn't totally sealed so you will need to seal that off. Maybe buy a replacement air hose and seal it up.

There is a drain hole at the base of the RAI, some fit a one way water valve to it.
There can be some slots down the rear of the RAI that also need filled in.

The D3/RRS can safely wade to 700mm in off road height for EAS models. You can go deeper but if you are and it goes "Extended mode engaged" Yer ****ed! As the car's gone light and they DO float!

Please note. There is a ECU behind the battery that can sometimes not be totally waterproof. It is the CANBUS ECU. Best course of action is to remove the cover, disconnect the 3 plugs. CLEAN the blue one especially as that's the usual twat for throwing fits if the pins get corroded. Clean them all and i used a silicone gel to stop water getting into them. Refitted the plugs and also the cover.

For true water tightness, fit a Safari Snorkel.

Hope this helps as i have tossed this idea about and i'm going for a Safari Snorkel once cash allows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12