Expedition Trailers

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
While researching expedition trailers a bit more, I was wondering how those of you that have them hook them up to your vehicle. Yeah, I know you use a hitch, but what kind?

The standard ball hitch has it limits, while there is little about the 360* pivot ball hitch (looks promising), and there is the the good old military style pintle hitch. Based upon what I could find, the pintle hitch and reciever seem to offer the most when comes to off the pavement driving.

So what are your thoughts and opinions on hitches?

Wil

Attachments

• IMG_6478.JPG
    IMG_6478.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6469.JPG
    IMG_6469.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 1
  • stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1

Suty

Adventurer
Wil, It's been my experience , i.e. the military, that the pintle hitch is the best for off road...now on road maybe a different story as I did not do much on road diving with 'em.
To me the ball hitch would seem to limit flexibility by a great margin. Now I know that I am know Hitchologist, but I just don't see how it can compete off road. On road I feel like it would be more stable (as stable as a trailer can be) and less prone to fishtailing. There must be a reason you do not see Pintle hitches on trailers that do alot of on road work. I rambled on enough, I guess if I was building or buying a True Expedition Trailer, I would want a Pintle. Tu Compadre, Suty

Attachments

• mega.jpg
    mega.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1
  • holy grail.jpg
    holy grail.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Brady

Founder
My Venturecraft has a standard ball hitch, but the draw bar can articulate 360 degrees (yes, even roll over :smilies27 )

My Jumping Jack just has the standard hitch, but it doesn't do too bad on the trail, considering its size...

trailer_in_action.jpg

IMO, this is the best solution (adventure trailers):
LocknRollLARGE.jpg

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I've logged about 10K miles off road with my expedition trailer (started out as an ex-mil M416 a long time ago) without any problems, all using the original lunette hitch and a pintle hook with a tight fit around the lunette. It does clunk a bit, but I don't even notice it anymore...

Attachments

• trailer1a.JPG
    trailer1a.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 341

Scott Brady

Founder
Henry,

That is a "first class" trailer. I have had mixed emotions on trailers for "expedition" travel. I suppose the biggest negative I have found it travel speed on mildly rocky terrain. There is a great trail in the Sierra Pinacate, but it is full of small lava rocks. Towing a trailer through there was painful. For everything else, it seems to be pretty nice. When used with my Jeeps, the trailer was a god send, and allowed me to travel very technical terrain, and have a great bed to sleep in at night.

What has your experience been on extended tracks?

blupaddler

Conspirator
Exiled!!! Welcome to the forum! I thought I recognized that trailer.
I am sure you can add a great deal of information here.
How is your conversion coming along? Are things finished yet?

Good to see you here.

:wavey:

Attachments

• 2015-06-18 12.40.09.jpg
    2015-06-18 12.40.09.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 2

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Thanks for all the input... That multi axis coupler looks pretty slick. I was just exploring my options and routes on my wish list... and you guys never let me down for information!

Wil

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Slick looking trailer Henry! I've been keeping an eye out for an old military trailer for that exact setup.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
My experience has been mixed, but generally positive. If it's not too rocky or rutted, the trailer seems to hold up well to dirt roads, even at speed. I designed the suspension to be pretty forgiving and usually run the big tires at medium PSI's to help with the "float". On rougher roads, you're definitely limited at the speed which you can run, but that's OK for me.

I don't take the trailer on all trips, that's what I have the roof rack for. But I find that a good cargo distribution between the truck and trailer keeps the trailer light enough to be maneuverable off road and the truck from wallowing.

I've also towed this trailer through some pretty tough trails so I could learn its limitations and dimensions, with some positive results. My wife and I towed it all the way up to Crown King via the back side when we finished the first stage of the buildup, and made it thru with flying colors.

But on the toughest trails or expeditions that involve a lot of sand driving, the trailer stays home.

PS: Thanks everyone for the welcome, it's nice to be back. The conversion is about three weeks away from completion, I'm really excited and already thinking of what type of expedition to plan to test the longer range of the old girl!

kai38

Explorer
I also have a M416 trailer like Henry has.
I have my tent mounted on top which works out great I can leave it in camp and not have the weight of the tent on the roof on my Land Cruiser.
The pintel hitch works great off road but I have heard of people flipping the trailer in very off camber situations. The tow truck stays up right though since the pintel will rotate 360 degrees.

27234022.LSLCCRUISERROUNDUP2004206.jpg

Outback

Explorer
While making a "U" turn off road with our 2 5/16th ball Wells Cargo 10' trailer the ball and hitch seperated. I of course didnt know this until i notice that theres allot of gravel and dirt spraying up from the hitch area. A 1 ton dually dodge cummins diesel isnt going to notice its dragging something this light! The chains didnt catch the hitch even though they werte crossed. must have been at the extreme turn angle(s) when it popped off. A pintle hitch will NOT do this ever! When towing with the pintle hitch there is more "hitch" noise but its no big deal at all. In fact as mentioned by someone else you dont even notice it afgter youve towed with a pintle hitch mnore than a few miles. I feel the reason a ball hitch was invented is for th simple fact that most 99% of the the people towing NEVER go off road! In that case why bother with any noises. Manufacturers have now made most trucks into luxury yahts. No road noise. No road feel foe that matter and would never dream of someone actually wanting to take there new 4x4 truck off road! No I will always have a pintle hitch for my off road trailers. I have seen some of these fancy 360 degree hitches as well. While I find they are very well designed I still am not quite sure why pople use them. They are not nearly as strong as a standard pintle hitch system. Im sure they make no noise so for some I guess thats a plus. But the I also dont see them as strong as a standard type ball hitch. Ive seen some home made jobs that are just down right dangerous! BUT to each his own. You cant go wrong off road or on road with a good Pintle style hitch system.

Outback

Explorer
That looks like a very strong design. One of the home made jobbers I saw in person was down right unsafe.

Outback

Explorer
But a question I have is why not just a pintle style set up? Not that a camp trailer needs the unbelievable strength of a pintle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan