Expedition Trophy 2007

madizell

Explorer
Willman said:
Cheaters!

:shakin:

Frankly, I think it is not so much the team that "cheated" as the fact that the explanation and rules posed by the officials were less than specific on the point. Certainly, I and my team did not interpret the situation the same way, concluding that the "impassable chasm" suggested that the tire needed to be carried, as opposed to dragged, across. It would have been up to the officials to nix the idea of dragging the tire across. Since they did not do so, one would have to suppose that the method was within bounds. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. For example, the official rules could have included a warning that the tire could not touch ground in the middle of the "chasm," which would have precluded dragging the tire across. The rules were not stated this way, so I can't see how the winning team cheated in this instance. Just my opinion, although I think team B's solution was more creative. Perhaps in future bonus points can be awarded for creativity.

GMc.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
madizell said:
Frankly, I think it is not so much the team that "cheated" as the fact that the explanation and rules posed by the officials were less than specific on the point. Certainly, I and my team did not interpret the situation the same way, concluding that the "impassable chasm" suggested that the tire needed to be carried, as opposed to dragged, across. It would have been up to the officials to nix the idea of dragging the tire across. Since they did not do so, one would have to suppose that the method was within bounds. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box. For example, the official rules could have included a warning that the tire could not touch ground in the middle of the "chasm," which would have precluded dragging the tire across. The rules were not stated this way, so I can't see how the winning team cheated in this instance. Just my opinion, although I think team B's solution was more creative. Perhaps in future bonus points can be awarded for creativity.

GMc.

So, how did the other teams get the tire across? Any pics of the setups? I think for everyone in our team, dragging it seemed like the natural option - and certainly quickest.:shakin:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
jeffryscott said:
So, how did the other teams get the tire across?

Well...the team events were very much winch-related and looking at that much the assumption was that you would span it with your winch and use another thoughtful mechanism to ferry the tire.

The other 2 teams did just that, spanned with the winch cable and used various means to transfer the tire.

It wasn't clear to the first team that the tire must come off the two rigs being used and the instructions lacked that explicitly. The first team made a vehicle swap and all the time used to swap out the vehicles was conceeded (credited) against their time. That message was then explicit on the remaining 2 teams.

All that said, when a few team members went dragging down with the tire into the mud and the tire itself looked like it would be the consequence of some quicksand, it was almost a given that the attempt at manpower drag-ferry would surely fail and many spectators were clad with know-better smirks. Alas with dirty feet, a few extra ounces of upper body pull, and not having to make fast their rigging, the time prevailed.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Better Camera..better Picture :)

I borrowed my Dad's Nikon D50 and retook a scorpion tonight under a black light. Dream about this in your sleeping bag. :shakin:

2007Oct26002.jpg

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Tires and scorpions

jeffryscott said:
So, how did the other teams get the tire across?

I've got a few pictures of the set up on the home computer, I'll try and post them up tonight.

Tucson T4R said:
Dream about this in your sleeping bag. :shakin:

Very cool picture!

viatierra

Explorer
p1michaud said:
I've got a few pictures of the set up on the home computer, I'll try and post them up tonight.

That would be great. We weren't the fastest, but it was a fun setup. Pretty cool to watch the tire zip across the line. I'd love to see what it looked like.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Just a few pics as promised.

The chasm
DSC04366.jpg

Getting the tire ready for the send off
DSC04368.jpg

More preparations
DSC04369.jpg

It's nearly there!
DSC04370.jpg

Enjoy!
P

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Thanks for the pics, certainly a more elegant solution than dragging the tire through the muck.:shakin:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
DesertRose said:
..............In addition to the Expedition Trophy winners posted above, we also have winners of the first Expedition Trophy Happy Hour:

Winner, Appetizers: Tony DeSanto (tdesanto) with his amazing grilled bacon-wrapped jalapenos stuffed with cheese and shrimp .................

My wife and I went to a local Tucson restaurant Friday night. I was happy to see on the appetizer menu the exact same appetizer as Tony's. They called them "Rattlesnake Eggs". Great name for such a great combo of flavors. I plan to make these at home myself.

Tony, I understand the Jalapeño, cheese, and bacon....what type of smoked shrimp do you use to mix into the cream cheese? If you don't mind sharing your award winning recipe that is. :chowtime:

madizell

Explorer
I have been on too many off-road trips to number in states from Illinois to Alaska, as well as several trips in Australia. I would have to say that the group who participated in the 2007 Expedition Trophy are as good a group of folks as anyone could hope to wheel with. For anyone who is even remotely contemplating joining in this event next year, I would say do it, and you won't regret it.

Best four nights I have spent camping anywhere.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Tucson T4R said:
My wife and I went to a local Tucson restaurant Friday night. I was happy to see on the appetizer menu the exact same appetizer as Tony's. They called them "Rattlesnake Eggs". Great name for such a great combo of flavors. I plan to make these at home myself.

Tony, I understand the Jalapeño, cheese, and bacon....what type of smoked shrimp do you use to mix into the cream cheese? If you don't mind sharing your award winning recipe that is. :chowtime:

Honestly, I'd never seen or heard of this combo before. Not necessarily original to wrap anything in bacon or to stuff a chile with cheese, but I tried to mix a bunch of stuff I really like. That's funny that you found it right there in Tuscon. So, no cream cheese, instead a shredded blend. Also, the shrimp weren't smoked beforehand, just at the time of grilling.

So, here goes:

Jalapeno or any chile you like
shrimp (I used already cleaned/cooked for convenience)
4 cheese mexican blend or cheddar/monterey jack
Hickory smoked pepper bacon (thick sliced; Wright is the brand I used)
Spices (ground): ancho, aleppo, red chipotle
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysaleppopepper.html
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyschipotle.html
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysancho.html
Fresh Lime Juice to marinate the assembled product before cooking
Grill over plenty of mesquite wood

If I had to do it over again, I would have soaked the toothpicks in water for several hours to help prevent them from burning so much. Oh, and I would have refrained from rubbing my left eye after spending over an hour slicing and cleaning all of those jalapeno peppers :yikes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan