Expedition Trophy 2007

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
tdesanto said:
Honestly, I'd never seen or heard of this combo before. Not necessarily original to wrap anything in bacon or to stuff a chile with cheese, but I tried to mix a bunch of stuff I really like. That's funny that you found it right there in Tuscon. So, no cream cheese, instead a shredded blend. Also, the shrimp weren't smoked beforehand, just at the time of grilling.

So, here goes:

Jalapeno or any chile you like
shrimp (I used already cleaned/cooked for convenience)
4 cheese mexican blend or cheddar/monterey jack
Hickory smoked pepper bacon (thick sliced; Wright is the brand I used)
Spices (ground): ancho, aleppo, red chipotle
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysaleppopepper.html
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyschipotle.html
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysancho.html
Fresh Lime Juice to marinate the assembled product before cooking
Grill over plenty of mesquite wood

If I had to do it over again, I would have soaked the toothpicks in water for several hours to help prevent them from burning so much. Oh, and I would have refrained from rubbing my left eye after spending over an hour slicing and cleaning all of those jalapeno peppers :yikes:

Tony,

Great, thanks for the recipe. They really were outstanding. Now you have a name for them....."Rattlesnake Eggs".

I know what you mean on the eyes. I make a bunch of chili every year for an annual chili party. Last year I cut up and cleaned a bunch of Serano chili peppers. Even after washing my hands, I still transfered some to my eyes and my nose and throat were burning from the fumes. The entire kitchen became a toxic chemical contamination zone. This year, I'm wearing gloves. :costumed-smiley-007

PS, the ones I had here were not quite as tastey as yours. I'm sure they didn't use your special blend of spices.

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Tony, I think it was really cool that you came over to our site where I was making pizza's, and delivered your delicious creation, so I could have a bite. :chowtime:

Now that's winning class :)

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
tdesanto said:
So, here goes:

Jalapeno or any chile you like
shrimp (I used already cleaned/cooked for convenience)
4 cheese mexican blend or cheddar/monterey jack
Hickory smoked pepper bacon (thick sliced; Wright is the brand I used)
Spices (ground): ancho, aleppo, red chipotle
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysaleppopepper.html
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyschipotle.html
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysancho.html
Fresh Lime Juice to marinate the assembled product before cooking
Grill over plenty of mesquite wood

If I had to do it over again, I would have soaked the toothpicks in water for several hours to help prevent them from burning so much. Oh, and I would have refrained from rubbing my left eye after spending over an hour slicing and cleaning all of those jalapeno peppers :yikes:

Another Penzeys fan! I just got a "care" box - was out of chipotle powder and whole pepper and many other things. I love spices! I would have been a spice merchant in another life, another century.

Thanks for sharing, Ted :chowtime:

Willman

I think if i had bacon in my corn salsa......I would have took Tony's little delights!:shakin:

Next year....more sections...

• best drink
  • food
  • dip
  • Who can put the most things on top of their hat
  • The weirdest...lol

:)

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
If there's an appetizer competition next time, there might have to be a "bacon only" class. You know, to level the field.:chowtime:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Desertdude said:
Tony, I think it was really cool that you came over to our site where I was making pizza's, and delivered your delicious creation, so I could have a bite. :chowtime:

Now that's winning class :)

You're welcome. Besides you paid me back 10-fold with that outstanding pizza. Not only was that one of the best pizza's I've ever had, but in the field at that. And the preparation/presentation...damn, that made it worth the short trip over. In fact, I'm getting hungry again just thinkin' about it.

Now I gotta get a bigger pan so that I can use that same idea with my propane torch. So did you get the trailer so that you could haul that large pizza skillet? :)

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
DesertRose said:
Another Penzeys fan! I just got a "care" box - was out of chipotle powder and whole pepper and many other things. I love spices! I would have been a spice merchant in another life, another century.

Thanks for sharing, Ted :chowtime:

Who's Ted? :)

Penzye's is the best. Those spices just make you want to cook, or cook quickly so you can get on to the eating part. They also make you realize that you've been using sawdust all your life until you discovered these spices...then you feel like you're starting all over again, but at least finally on the right track. :eatchicke

You need to try the aleppo pepper. The only thing you'll regret is not ordering enough. :jumping:

Willman said:
I think if i had bacon in my corn salsa......I would have took Tony's little delights!:shakin:

BogusBlake said:
If there's an appetizer competition next time, there might have to be a "bacon only" class. You know, to level the field.:chowtime:

Okay, Okay...I promise not to use bacon again. I know I wasn't pulling any punches when I unleashed the thick sliced, black-peppered pork belly on you folks.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
I KNEW I would eventually call you Ted! One of our longtime neighbors was Ted DeSante and I had to work really hard to not call you Ted . . . then here I go and do it. Apologies, Tony . . . T . . O . .N . .Y!

I'm working on it.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
DesertRose said:
I KNEW I would eventually call you Ted! One of our longtime neighbors was Ted DeSante and I had to work really hard to not call you Ted . . . then here I go and do it. Apologies, Tony . . . T . . O . .N . .Y!

I'm working on it.

No worries. I've been called much worse :) I was just having a little fun.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Just think of the black light/ scorpion combo possibilities for Tiki bar lighting next year (you know there has to be another one. The standard has been set). I bet all the wiggling, glowing little things could even invoke thoughts of a south Pacific lagoon by moonlight. Of course, I wouldn't go near it because it'd creep me out, but it could be fun for all the people who aren't wussies!

But please; if you hear a faint voice pleading for someone to pass them a Singapore Sling from out in the darkness, don't ignore me .. er .. them.

erin said:
Don't forget,scorpians served under one of Chucks lights, think of the ambiance.:chowtime:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Ruffin' It said:
Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Just think of the black light/ scorpion combo possibilities for Tiki bar lighting next year (you know there has to be another one. The standard has been set). I bet all the wiggling, glowing little things could even invoke thoughts of a south Pacific lagoon by moonlight. Of course, I wouldn't go near it because it'd creep me out, but it could be fun for all the people who aren't wussies!

But please; if you hear a faint voice pleading for someone to pass them a Singapore Sling from out in the darkness, don't ignore me .. er .. them.

I think we have a new drink concoction, the Singapore Sting.:shakin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan