Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
We did experience a fair amount of gravel/dirt roads, deep sand, old railroad grade and the climb up and over Engineer Pass in Coloardo. However, its all relative... I've do thousands of dirt miles in my SWB leaf sprung FJ40 all over the western US each year. Some of the nastiest washboard, rutted roads, Moab, sand, salt, etc. I think I'm a fair judge of ride quality in a variety of off-road platforms sans broken back ;)

Yeah. . . when you put it that way, it is what it is. . . After the FJ40, the 79 probably feels a lot smoother by virtue of the coils in front and the longer wheelbase. I've honestly never ridden in a 70. I'm just commenting from the specs: a three to four ton vehicle on leaf springs made to haul the payload that truck has and comfort doesn't come to mind. . . An acquaintance of mine in South Africa is always talking about how they put aftermarket suspension on 70's to smooth out the ride some and save the kidneys. I'm sure after being used to my Rangie and Disco, I'd probably feel like I was riding on a buckboard. I used to drive a CJ5 and well remember what that ride was like. Felt like I didn't even have a suspension at speed on corrugations, etc. Can't beat the relative indestructibility of the 70 series at any rate. . .

David

Scott Brady

Founder
Didn't have the camera on me, But I seen one of those sexy LC's at the Home Depot today. Good luck on the rest of your trip!

Sorry I missed you! We were picking up some conduit for our camera slider.

We spent most of the day today loading the trucks into the containers. Ledrew & Sons did all of the moving of containers and assisted with the loading and lashing.

I am really enjoying St. John's. A nice community.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Newfoundland has been spectacular so far. I am constantly amazed by the quality of camping opportunities in Canada's parks.

View attachment 102979
How I sleep in the vehicle. Personally, I am a huge fan of a semi-permanent sleeping arrangement with little to no set-up.

That is how I like to roll also. In fact that is pretty much what I am doing with my newest build.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Lance,

This is the second time you have commented about our pace. What is the longest trip you have done, both in miles and time?

Why does it matter how fast or far we drive per day in our own country. We are just transiting the trucks to the east coast to meet the container ship.

We are traveling in North America, our home continent, so there is less motivation to dwell and go slow. We have a very mellow pace planned for the other continents. I am spending months in France alone. . .

Maybe stop with the Monday morning quarterbacking until you see the trip unfold a bit?

Thanks

I like this post....mostly because it is their trip. People have commented on my trips a lot in the same way. And I always wonder why others care about how my/your trip flows. You either enjoy the trip being shared or you don't, it is pretty simple. I am sure Lance enjoys the trip report and I am not trying to single him or his post out.

Rather, enjoy trip reports for what they are, if you don't like the pace or locations or activities...oh well. Skip the thread! :)

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I think some folks just didn't realize that they had seen the country and was worried they would miss out on many wonderful sights. I believe they meant well
That's how I read it anyway.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I don't have a problem with their route/pace etc. It is their trip, after all. . . as others have said. They are just reporting what they have decided to do, which is fine in my book.

As the trip progresses, I would like to hear details about their daily living and driving arrangements with the vehicles. How the set-up is working, what equipment they are carrying, feedback on vehicle performance in different conditions, fuel consumption, driving impressions, preparation for shipping the vehicles for each leg of the trip, etc.?

David

r3run33

Adventurer
scott you ROCK! thanks for posting all the links also like the shipping etc; sorry I missed you in NYC; would have loved to see those 70's in person. Thanks again; hey by the way what are you guys using for (restroom/ men's room/ toilet/ etc) while on the road?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12