Expeditions West Tacoma FAQ

Scott Brady

Founder
The sleeve around the thimble is the same as the 10' long wear sleeve. It is a short piece of the wear sleeve.

The rope came that way from Roadless.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Scott, do you have any more information on the frame reinformcement that Demello did for you? I see the pics here: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/bumper/frame/index.htm but would love more details if you have them.

Would you consider what was done difficult or could any capable welder do it? Anything you would have done differently or other thoughts?

You know I have been waiting for a while to do this one right and I think I may have found a local company that I would trust with doing the work. Then I would ask Demello to make me a bumper like this one he made a while back:

demello_bumper.gif

Scott Brady

Founder
The frame reinforcement can certainly be done by any experienced welder. The plates are 3"x1/4" and are saw cut to the correct angles.

I really like the bumper in the picture. I have seen it in person at Demello's shop. It includes trimming the 1/4 panels to maximize departure clearance.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Thanks Scott. About how heavy is your bumper?

I don't want to do any trimming on the panels so it will be a bit different. I started the discussion with Jason about getting it all moving...

Pete

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Tent Base

Scott-
Can you please fill me in on your excellent base for your Eezi-Awn? If it is a larger file due to the Pics can you please e-mail it to me? (my e-mail is set up properly if you click my user name in the forum. I am slowly narrowing my Tent Options down... and now planning the base (not roof mounted) is next on my list prior to picking the tent. I need to make sure I tackle this project in its entirety.

Thanks,
Wil

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
Sorry Wil, I have not forgot about you. Been a crazy week amigo :smilies27

I agree, same for me this week! Well, when you get the time, it would be greatly appreciated!

Wil

Brent13

Roadlessgear in-cab controller

Scott,

Incredible truck and great forum....

Could you post any details about your in-cab winch controller? I see you mounted in the dash above the glove box. I bought the same unit, but cannot figure out where to mount. Cutting into the dash scares the bejesus out of me. Did you have any other mounting ideas before deciding to go with the dash mount? Any details you have would be great. I am also an 04 Double Cab.

Thanks,
Brent

erin

Explorer
Skid plate?

Hey Scott,

I was reading your review on the Black Rat recovery gear and notice in the pic w/ your truck that your front skid plate looks different than stock. Is this the case? And if so what type is it?

Thanks, Erin :)

Scott Brady

Founder
Brent13 said:
Scott,

Incredible truck and great forum....

Could you post any details about your in-cab winch controller? I see you mounted in the dash above the glove box. I bought the same unit, but cannot figure out where to mount. Cutting into the dash scares the bejesus out of me. Did you have any other mounting ideas before deciding to go with the dash mount? Any details you have would be great. I am also an 04 Double Cab.

Thanks,
Brent

Hi Brent,

I did consider several options, including the open space just forward of the t-case lever. The problem with that, is the requirement for moving a wiring connector. The other spot I considered was removing the ash tray, and installing a small bracket. It might also work in the "knock-out" on the drivers side, just to the left of the vents. The controller would need to be mounted sideways though.

Since I was already cutting holes for the gauges, I figured what the hell :)

Hope that helps

Scott Brady

Founder
erin said:
Hey Scott,

I was reading your review on the Black Rat recovery gear and notice in the pic w/ your truck that your front skid plate looks different than stock. Is this the case? And if so what type is it?

Thanks, Erin :)

I got that skid plate on trade from BajaTaco. I think it was made in Phoenix, but he is no longer making them.

My new skid plate is the Demello unit, which is incredibly strong (can hold the weight of the vehicle), but does require some customization to work with the ARB bumper.

Attachments

• skid_small.JPG
    skid_small.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 181

jim65wagon

No question at this time Scott, just wanted to let you know that you're truck is my inspiration, if I can make a Tundra sized version I will be quite happy.

Oh yeah and you're articles in 4WDToyotaOwner are great. It makes Lionsback look scary sitting in my living room.

Now if I can just borrow one of you're 255/85's to see how much lift and trimming I'll need to do...

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks so much for the kind words Jim.

The first of a three part series on my truck build will be in the next 4wd Toyota Owner Magazine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior