Expeditions West Tacoma FAQ

Brent13

In-cab winch controls installed.....

I finally figured out a location and got it mounted. I will hopefully wire it up tonight....

Brent

Attachments

• In-CabWinchControl.JPG
    In-CabWinchControl.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 274

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Kitchen?

Scott;
After just reading 26 pages of posts (for the first time) about your Tacoma, I am truly impressed. My question is about your kitchen/cooking set up:
What type of kitchen set-up do you have, where is it stored and how many days would you normally need to be self sufficient with this set-up.
Do you have any pics of the tacoma in full campsite/cook mode?

The reason I ask is that the kitchen set-up in OutbacKamper is the one area where I need major modifications. After living out of a truck and pop-up camper for 6 1/2 months, the biggest complaint is the amount of time and effort setting up the exterior kitchen.
Cheers
Mark

Scott Brady

Founder
Mark,

Great question and one that I still need to address. I am evaluating a few options, including having the stove on a slide so that it will slide out from the platform. I would also hard mount a 3lb. propane bottle in the storage area so that the stove was always connected.

I have addressed water, with the rear spout, but I need to get a basin configured. I will probably weld a frame that will mount to the rear demello bumper 1/4 panel protection.

I also intend to make a drop-down panel that mounts to the rear swing-out and will make an L shaped food prep station.

I am not sold on a stove yet, as most seem to destruct in short order. I do like my little Markel stove and use it for almost every meal.

I am going to start a thread on kitchen configurations, as I appears more than one of us can benefit from the experience of others.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Scott - I just wanted to mention how much I enjoyed the first article on your truck build up in the new 4WD Toyota Owners mag.

Granted, we've seen a lot of it through your build threads, but reading an overview in hindsight, when and why you did the modifications you added made for a great read. I'm looking forward to the rest of the articles!

Great pics from SEMA too. One question - what's so bad about "plastic women?" ;) We all know how you feel about chrome, but you're anti-plastic too?!

Scott "No Bling" Brady - keeping it real since 1972!! :victory:

Scott Brady

Founder
kcowyo said:
Scott - I just wanted to mention how much I enjoyed the first article on your truck build up in the new 4WD Toyota Owners mag.

Granted, we've seen a lot of it through your build threads, but reading an overview in hindsight, when and why you did the modifications you added made for a great read. I'm looking forward to the rest of the articles!

Thanks man :)

I have really enjoyed writing the articles. I decided from the beginning for it to be more than just a feature vehicle, but a technical article too. I wanted those reading to get a sense of what my "madness" is all about.

kcowyo said:
Great pics from SEMA too. One question - what's so bad about "plastic women?" ;) We all know how you feel about chrome, but you're anti-plastic too?!

Scott "No Bling" Brady - keeping it real since 1972!! :victory:

:D , yeah, I guess anything fake doesnt sit well with me. I am much more into the "real" thing:arabia:

Scott Brady

Founder
KC,

I do not have the seats yet, but I am getting closer. These things can move slow sometimes :)

I really like the Corbeau Legacy and GTSII

4_02.jpg

3_02.jpg

atavuss

Adventurer
Scott,
first post here for me, would you be kind enough to post more info on your new Eezi-Awn tent please? where did you source it at? price range? the cover looks very durable, is it a rubberized or coated material of some sort?
I have a 1946 1/4 ton Bantam trailer that I want to fab a top that I could mount a tent to. I want to set the trailer up so I can tow it with my CJ7 or my 04 Double Cab TRD taco depending on the trail.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Rear configuration Q's...

Scott-

What did you plug your holes with after you removed your rear seat? I put the factory bolts back in, but there are two holes for the sabilizer / positioning pin. I am assuming a 8mm bolt would fit, did you come up with a better solution?

Also do how did you wire in your Engel? I am conteplating cutting the cord, and using a 10A fuse, but it is hard to cut up a brand new cord! Do you know of any cig lighter sockets that are made up of 8g wires? That's a hard one to source!

Thanks,
Wil

LostSol

flyingwil said:
Scott-

What did you plug your holes with after you removed your rear seat? I put the factory bolts back in, but there are two holes for the sabilizer / positioning pin. I am assuming a 8mm bolt would fit, did you come up with a better solution?

Also do how did you wire in your Engel? I am conteplating cutting the cord, and using a 10A fuse, but it is hard to cut up a brand new cord! Do you know of any cig lighter sockets that are made up of 8g wires? That's a hard one to source!

Thanks,
Wil
I will look through some catalogs today when i get to work to see if i can find any high amp cig lighter plugs.

Scott Brady

Founder
All of the bolt holes are used to mount the fridge and drawer system. The small oval holes were covered with duct tape. :)

I ran a 5 wire marine bundle from the aux battery and west marine fuse block into the double cab area. That bundle powers the fridge, radios, aux. 12v, etc.

flyingwil said:
Scott-

Thanks,
Wil

jeff@work

Adventurer
Hey Scott,

I was curious as to how the skinny mud terrains you're running perform in the sand. I really like that size and i'm 99% sure it's what i'm going to go with but was curious as to how they do in the sand, especially since they're a mud terrain not an all terrain.

Thanks!

Jeff

Scott Brady

Founder
Great question Jeff.

The 255/85 R16 does great in the sand due to the height.

It is not commonly known, but when a tire is aired down, nearly 80% of the increased flotation comes from the tire patch becoming longer. Only 20% comes from the increased width.

So, given that the 255/85 is such a tall tire, when aired down there is a very long contact patch and good flotation.

Another benefit in the sand is the reduced frontal loading, which is the build up of sand like a wave in front of the tire. A wide tire creates a very wide wave and increased resistance, requiring more power (thus increasing fuel consumption).

Hope this helps :)

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
CB issues

Scott-

While doing my review on the fridge/freezer the light bulb went off, and a possible solution to your CB issues. Since your CB is mounted near the fridge, It could be a safe bet that you do not have your fridge grounded, and thus causing the WAH-WAH-WAH noise to be sometimes stronger at times and sometimes weak. If you look near the plugs on your fridge you will see a screw labled "grounding terminal for suppressing radio interference." I bet that just might be the solution to your problem.

costumed-smiley-034.gif
So to phrase this as a question for your FAQ: Do you have your Engel grounded?

Scott Brady

Founder
You know Wil, it is not... They also share the same fuse block.

I will try that, and see if the situation improves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online