Expeditions West Tacoma FAQ

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Impressive vehicle Scott! :clapsmile

Did you get around to adding a tray on your rear swingaway as you mentioned earlier? I'm looking to redo my rear swingaway and am looking for ideas. I'm contemplating such a tray to hold a small gas grill, or possibly using the end of the swingaway like a receiver for a tray for said grill.

Thanks..

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Question about your sliders

Scott,
I was just reading your install article for your Demello Sliders and had a question about the forward mounting point. In your article you said the following: "The image here shows the drivers side frame rail, and the forward most mounting hole location. The holes in the frame are already in place (stamped at the factory), but a bolt cannot be passed all the way through to the inner frame rail side due to the cross-member. You will need to drill a 1/2" hole in the cross-member, properly aligned to the frame holes."

I was wondering if you could post a pic of the backing plate and bolt once it's installed. Did you simply let the backing plate lay at an angle on the cross member? See this picture.

Cheers :beer:,
P

Scott Brady

Founder
p1michaud said:
Scott,
I was just reading your install article for your Demello Sliders and had a question about the forward mounting point. In your article you said the following: "The image here shows the drivers side frame rail, and the forward most mounting hole location. The holes in the frame are already in place (stamped at the factory), but a bolt cannot be passed all the way through to the inner frame rail side due to the cross-member. You will need to drill a 1/2" hole in the cross-member, properly aligned to the frame holes."

I was wondering if you could post a pic of the backing plate and bolt once it's installed. Did you simply let the backing plate lay at an angle on the cross member? See this picture.

Cheers :beer:,
P

Exactly, The plate is at an angle.

Bergger

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Question from Rob:

Thanks for the question Rob:

I am using the following parts:

Thule Parts-
Thule Hull-a-Port Kayak Rack (835)
Thule QuickDraw Ratcheting boat straps (855)
Thule Aero Foot (400)
Thule Cable Lock (538)
Thule 58" Load Bars (LB58)
Thule Fit Kit (111)

Con-Ferr Parts-
6" Portal Rack, Fully welded 3'x5'

The Con-Ferr rack is bolted directly to the Thule Load Bars with 5/16"x1 1/4" bolts. This picture shows the mounting a little closer. This picture shows the rack from underneath.

The Con-Ferr rack has a base mount rail which is predrilled to accept at least 8 positions.

More information and pictures:
With awning

I'm looking to put a Thule roof rack on my 03' dble cab, since I already have the Thule load bars and a Thule gear basket, and Thule has told me that they do not have a fit kit for this truck. I see you used kit 111. Was it a good fit for the truck? Any problems or concerns?

thanks

snowbrock

your deck platform

The more I think about the platform you have built to cover your bed, the more I like it. I am thinking about building one for my '06 tacoma. I just have a few questions about yours. It appears as though you welded the frame from steel and then riveted aluminum sheeting to the frame. I presume that was for weight savings- how much does it weigh? How is it attached to the bed? How has it been working? Would you do anything different? I love your truck.

Willman

Hey Scott!!!

With your current on-board air system with your compressor and air tank....How long does it take to air up one tire from the lowest PSI you go..if i remember right.... about 15 to 18 PSI or so???

Thanks!!!
:costumed-smiley-007

Willman

Willman said:
Hey Scott!!!

With your current on-board air system with your compressor and air tank....How long does it take to air up one tire from the lowest PSI you go..if i remember right.... about 15 to 18 PSI or so???

Thanks!!!
:costumed-smiley-007

Bump!!

Scott Brady

Founder
Wierd... I thought I replied to this. Oh well, it is lost in cyberspace.

I do not have a tank, just ~20' of 1/2" hose. It fills the tires from 18-38 in about 1.5 minutes each at 5,300'.

One of the cool benefits I have found is that my PSI gauge on the dash is exactly 3 PSI higher than the PSI in the tire with the compressor on. I can just monitor the dash gauge and not have to check the tire pressure several times during the fill. A bonus :costumed-smiley-007

Scott Brady

Founder
Factory air filters only and I carry a spare. No engine modifications at all.

Just my opinion of building an expedition rig. Leave the stuff that could have you stranded alone.

Willman

expeditionswest said:
Factory air filters only and I carry a spare. No engine modifications at all.

Just my opinion of building an expedition rig. Leave the stuff that could have you stranded alone.

You make a great point!...But I like to spice it up a little...I would not think freeing up the exhaust would leave you stranded...i could be wrong...:elkgrin:

Just my 2 cents..

Another question we'll i got you here....

How do you like your rocker switch for your dual batteries? And would it fit inside the stock cut-outs on the dash below the stereo? I'm also looking at picking up some of those switches.

Scott Brady

Founder
Actually, exhaust would probably be fine. I just like the truck quiet and stock in the engine department :elkgrin:

Now for my competition trucks, give me the HP!

I think the battery switch would work great below the radio

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998