ExPo Project: 1991 Land Cruiser Prado SX (LJ78)

Klierslc

Explorer
Swaybar disconnects will not net you as much on that suspension set up as on others. The axle binds due to the 4 points of contact between the arms and the housing. Due to the requirement for an axle to rotate when it moves up or down, this set up will never flex well. The only solutions to get better flex are to 3 link it, get softer control arm bushings, or use the hitch pin method that I stated before. Looks like a fun trip!

tradman

Observer
Thank you. Yes it looks sturdy and clean. It's the only roof mounted carrier I've seen that holds a Scepter can properly. The little Prado is looking great by the way!

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, you guys still like your Coopers in all that snow?

I will say they are the best name-brand all-terrains we have tested in the snow. They are heavily siped and have a good void ratio for an AT. I have also had good luck with the BFG AT on the snow. We had Mickey Thompson ATs on the Land Rover for the same trail and those tires exhibited good tractive performance (mainly due to flotation of the larger tread face), but poor slope/lateral holding.

I have learned a lot about tire performance in the snow from my last few trips to Iceland. A big, fat AT with lots of siping (and maybe studs) seems to be the trick.
184353_10150193414588275_3470918_n.jpg

The best AT we have ever tested in the snow is the Arctic Trucks AT
getfile.aspx

Scott Brady

Founder
The Land Cruiser just spent a week with the USMC at the wheel, completing a 400 mile hi/low desert field evolution. We completed the entire project with one tank of fuel.

74360_10151620909383275_157595633_n.jpg

(and shockingly, no exploding heads or blown drivetrain from the forest road show truck ;) )

timbercruiser

Adventurer
The Land Cruiser just spent a week with the USMC at the wheel, completing a 400 mile hi/low desert field evolution. We completed the entire project with one tank of fuel.

74360_10151620909383275_157595633_n.jpg

(and shockingly, no exploding heads or blown drivetrain from the forest road show truck ;) )

That's an impressive lineup of trucks!

SOFME

Observer
Nearly all of the modifications are complete and the Land Cruiser is ready for the SEMA show in Las Vegas. After that, time to explore! We will post all of the project details in the coming weeks.
56259_10151242467428748_1352879111_o.jpg

what are you using to secure the pelican box?

amazing build btw!

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
what are you using to secure the pelican box?

amazing build btw!

The way we positioned the steel Jerry Can holder, the big Pelican case was wedged in with steel on three sides. We used a couple of good quality ratchet straps to keep it secure. Each strap was rated at 550 pounds and we try very hard to reduce the amount of weight that we carry on a roof rack. That case was mostly used for soft lightweight but bulky stuff that we didn't want to get dirty floating around in the back of the truck, ie: clothes, sleeping bags, etc.

Even then, the we mounted the Pelican at the front of the roof rack, so it was held in place by the steel frame of the rack itself incase of a frontal collision (the scenario most likely to cause the case to tear loose). A 50 or 80 pound box of gear suddenly acts like a much heavier object in an accident.

If we were mounting the case at the back of the rack, or if we were putting it up there semi-permanently we would use a proper mounting system designed for that purpose.

The truck will be on display at the TAD booth at Overland Expo this coming weekend in Flagstaff AZ if anyone wants to check it out in person.

Ramjet

Explorer
I will for sure check it out at Expo this week. I think I might have found my next vehicle. Now I have to wait 3 more years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears